Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

F1 20

• 13-07-2020 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭

Has anyone been playing this?
    Picked it up yesterday on Stadia and I'm loving it. The "Make your own team" mode is great, plenty of customisation options to get the car looking how you want it.
    Playing on Casual mode for now since I havne't played an F1 game in about 5 or 6 years. A lots changed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

A lot of the new games I find difficult to play, the "realism" is turned up far higher than what I like. No problem tuning parameters of a car but I seem to end up ploughing straight on locking brakes or can't get a correct turn in.
    How difficult do you find this game? I might give it a try...

PS is it a manager game or sim ? Have an old motorsport manager game I still play once a year or so, it has a build your team type play but no driving sim.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭quokula

A lot of the new games I find difficult to play, the "realism" is turned up far higher than what I like. No problem tuning parameters of a car but I seem to end up ploughing straight on locking brakes or can't get a correct turn in.
    How difficult do you find this game? I might give it a try...

PS is it a manager game or sim ? Have an old motorsport manager game I still play once a year or so, it has a build your team type play but no driving sim.

It's a racing game where you drive the car, with a team management mode on the side. So in between races you're allocating funds to R&D and upgrading facilities to make the car you're driving faster, or hiring or training up your second driver so you have some back up in the race. The management mode is quite light, but it adds a bit of flavour to the game.

I think you do have to be an F1 fan to get the most of the game, it's at its best when you're in the middle of a race making strategic decisions on the fly because a safety car just came out or it just started raining, or you're deciding when to switch engine mode to save fuel and when to go hard to try and get an undercut, or you're saving up your ERS to deploy it all at the overtaking spots to try and hold a faster car behind you. Things that any fan of the sport will appreciate but don't really exist in other racing games.

It is as good as any F1 game has ever been though. They make small incremental upgrades every year, and they've really added up over time into a really great representation of the sport. The handling is a little on the sim side, which I enjoy, but there are also many settings and assists to tweak it to what you're comfortable with, and the AI can be tweaked accordingly too.

I have the 2016 version of the game! Yeah I could never get into the zone with the game, too difficult.
    I don't think it liked my old controller and that didn't help. Have had some great gaming with that controller and am reluctant to replace it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭McFly85

Picked it up as it’s been a while since I’ve played an F1 game and honestly I’m really enjoying it. I’ve started just a driver career in F2 and I’m finding ut way more fun than the last ones I’ve played(admittedly years ago) but I have most of the assists on.

Love the amount of options you have in customising, well, everything. It can be as detailed or as pick up and play as you want it to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

I agree with pretty much all the points made above. I've the settings on casual but with a few assists turned off for added difficulty. AI difficulty set to about medium which is right where i am myself so races are good and challenging. Started the new team mode and designed my car but won't start the actual races until i get a few more practice races under my belt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Really, really enjoying the game so far - I've played all of the Codemasters F1 games, but this one really is the best so far by quite a distance. The new My Team mode is a great addition - so much dept between upgrading facilities, the different areas of the car, reliability, sponsors, etc.

The cars are very enjoyable to drive, you can brake much later and the traction is better (they took feedback from the real F1 drivers during lockdown) than previous games. The overtake button is much more in line with how the cars work in real life too.

Playing with no assists and 90 AI. I've scored points in my first three races in My Team, so might need to bump up the difficulty a little bit for the first time in a few iterations of the game. Probably still not fast enough to try to race online (and I'm sure it's the usual wreckfest).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,537 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Only started this a few days ago, really enjoying it so far. My Team is excellent but having an awful start to season. First race in Australia going alright in P13 then it rains so I pit and accidentally put on mediums, no grip so pit again for inters and first P21. Bahrain all going well in P15 to much kerb on turn 12, spin and hit the barrier. Hopefully Vietnam won't go as badly

PsychoPete wrote: »
    Only started this a few days ago, really enjoying it so far. My Team is excellent but having an awful start to season. First race in Australia going alright in P13 then it rains so I pit and accidentally put on mediums, no grip so pit again for inters and first P21. Bahrain all going well in P15 to much kerb on turn 12, spin and hit the barrier. Hopefully Vietnam won't go as badly
    That was me when I played the older game. Out of interest what controller do you guys use? I have an old Saitek controller it never felt right with the 2016 game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

I'm using the Stadia controller which i think might be my favourite controller. I'm loving My Team mode. Finishing most races in around 17th place or so. Had one race though where i was 21st in practice, then for qualifying it rained and i got 5th. Race was raining as well and i finished 3rd. Since then races have been dry and I've been back battling for 17th and 18th again.
    As i get better at the game I'm turning off more and more assists as well as increasing AI level.
    It's a fantastic game. Best F1 game I've ever played.

Downloading this now, will try with my old Saitek controller. Fingers crossed I can drive!

• Advertisement

Anyone play this with a steering wheel set up yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

PsychoPete wrote: »
    Anyone play this with a steering wheel set up yet?

I play it with the Logitech G29.

If you go off track the rumble is bananas but then again it should be. You can tweak that in the settings if you find it too much.

Other than that it’s very precise, love the paddle shifting and overall you feel waaaaaay more involved using a wheel than a controller.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Spooch

I've been able to slowly start removing the driving assists using a G29 and pedals. Manual gears and braking feel like I'm properly in control of the car. Tried to take off traction control and just kept doing doughnuts on the starting grid though

I have the G920 but haven't use it with this yet, might give it a shot the weekend

Spooch wrote: »
    I've been able to slowly start removing the driving assists using a G29 and pedals. Manual gears and braking feel like I'm properly in control of the car. Tried to take off traction control and just kept doing doughnuts on the starting grid though

Finding it very easy.... at least on the easiest setting! Car does become loose as you overdrive it, but having said that won my first race.
    Will do like yourself and start dialling back the assists

Advertisement