Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Advice on buying a boat for somebody with no car

• 30-07-2020 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭

I'm hoping to buy a small boat with an outboard motor, just for fishing for mackerel and getting out onto the sea. I have no real experience with this apart from having a power boat license,
    I go out on power boats about 3 time a year at Dun Laoghaire. I also used to go fishing off Bullock Harbour but that hasn't been viable for 2 years now.

I don't own a car as I live and work in the City Centre (Dublin) and I dont have a front garden or garage for storing a boat or trailer.

What are my options?
    I was looking at the below but I dont necessary know what I'm looking at.

https://www.donedeal.ie/boats-for-sale/boat/25194468
    https://www.donedeal.ie/boats-for-sale/boat/25399525

I realise I have probably left out a lot of important info but not really sure what that should be.
    Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Alkers

You can keep your boat and trailer at a yacht club in most instances, although if you have no access to a car you will be restricted to a very small boat so that you can launch it by hand off a trolley.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

It might be better to just rent a boat when you want to go out this would take away all the troubles of owning a boat. These are based in Skerries https://iccb.ie/boatrental/ but there may be some closer to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭t1mm

Not a problem having no car when things are going right, but when things aren't going right (which is often the case with boats!) it'll certainly make your life a lot easier to have one. A few scenarios:

- Issue with hull of the boat. Needs to be taken out of the water.
    - Issue is fixed - boat needs to be launched again.
    - Issue with engine - mechanic may prefer to work on it at their yard, rather than on the water.
    - If working on the boat yourself - are you happy to haul heavy tools around on public transport?
    - The boats you linked have petrol engines. If you were going to be keeping your boat at a yacht club, is it available there? Diesel often is, petrol not as common in my experience. A bus driver may not take kindly to a jerry can of fuel coming on board!

Boats in general tend to need maintenance, and a lot of that maintenance is a lot easier with a car!

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭antietam1

I can sympathise as we always had two cars and now down to one, trying to get a 2.5 metre
    inflatable and 10hp outboard plus accessories into a little Yaris.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

As an old lad told me and I buying my boat, there’s 2 good days buying a boat. The day you buy it,and the day you sell it.
    He wasn’t wrong.
    Best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭wannabecraig

ok, So it would seem I need a car. I'm not totally against this as I hike a lot and sea swim
    and the bike is getting kind of annoying. Even with a car however, I have nowhere for the trailer at my house.

Is if common for clubs to sell boats too, is there a fee for keeping them there and
    is that different to mooring fees?

As you can tell, total beginner just looking to get a small boat.
    If I can get an idea of best options that'd be great.

As an old lad told me and I buying my boat, there’s 2 good days buying a boat. The day you buy it,and the day you sell it.
    He wasn’t wrong.
    Best of luck

Would agree regarding big boats, but using just a lake boat for example never had any issues.
    My mate used to say if you can afford to stand in the shower in a leaky raincoat tearing up €50 notes then you're all set for boating.

ok, So it would seem I need a car. I'm not totally against this as I hike a lot and sea swim
    and the bike is getting kind of annoying. Even with a car however, I have nowhere for the trailer at my house.

Is if common for clubs to sell boats too, is there a fee for keeping them there and

Obviously you will need a car with a tow bar and socket for lights on trailer.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

This is why I suggested renting a boat, to keep it in a marina it will be a small fortune :eek: and most sailing clubs are full to the gills and don't have enough room for it's members let alone anyone else, it is also near impossible to get a mooring in a harbour anywhere on the east coast. Sailing clubs and marinas have a for sale page or notice board.

I've rented a power boat tomorrow. The paces in bullock harbor are not renting because of C-19.
    So it's impossible to get a fishing boar to rent, seems power boats are my only option for now.

• Advertisement

I've rented a power boat tomorrow. The paces in bullock harbor are not renting because of C-19.
    So it's impossible to get a fishing boar to rent, seems power boats are my only option for now.

Would it be rude to ask how much that costs these days, and how many hours you get per hire.

Power boat is 125€ for 3 hours inc the petrol. Happy with that price.

Not bad at all, it's €90 just for a lake boat in Blessington though you can have it all day.

Was fun powering around Dalky today, my daughter caught 4 mackerel too!

Will defo give the blessington one a go next, didnt realsise it was so cheap.

Was fun powering around Dalky today, my daughter caught 4 mackerel too!

Will defo give the blessington one a go next, didnt realsise it was so cheap.

If you can get your hands on a 6hp or less outboard and provide that for the boat it's €60.
    Be prepared for a slow trip, nice Quartzy beaches around the lake for a picnic.
    Permit available from the boathire for fishing is €5 for two rods.

DO you know anywhere else that I can rent a cheap fishing boat off Dublin Bay?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

You could manage without a car, havn't had my rib out of the water for nearly a year now and am lucky enough to be able to get petrol within walking distance. Though I will need to take it out soon. You can always move it to some place that dries out at low tide if there is a job to be done. It's cheaper to pay someone to lift the boat out if it needs to be done than to buy a car just for that purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,739 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

You could manage without a car, havn't had my rib out of the water for nearly a year now and am lucky enough to be able to get petrol within walking distance. Though I will need to take it out soon. You can always move it to some place that dries out at low tide if there is a job to be done. It's cheaper to pay someone to lift the boat out if it needs to be done than to buy a car just for that purpose.

I'd say your rib has some hairy arse on her!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭Ferris

How about a SIB (soft inflatable boat)? Honwave or Excel are two popular manufacturers but there are others. An airfloor type will deflate for winter storage etc. and could be stored in a garden shed or storeroom. FYI I think that they are still very heavy but they can be transported in the boot of a car, which is a key point as you can then use GoCar etc. Might be an option, you’d just need to be careful with hooks etc.

I have a Honwave 2.4m with the v floor the bag with oars and seat weighs about 36 kilos.
    You are limited to a 6 hp outboard on that, and yes I am terrified of hooks and usually beach or go to an Island for fishing.
    Honwave/Honda were out of stock when I looked last, back in stock any day now.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't feel comfortable going to sea with anything under 15 hp and I would always bring a backup motor, spare can of fuel and an anchor, coming into a harbour with a receding tide and a strong head wind will have you going nowhere with a small outboard and burning through fuel faster than you would think.

Exactly, for me 6 hp is the minimum for a lake and lot more power for the Sea or tidal estuaries.
    I bought a 9.8 tohatsu electric start in the sales and I'm looking for a larger dinghy or lake boat.
    Would miss going to a different lake every week as i am not going down the trailer route.
    Some of the lakes want you clean the boat after every trip with Virkon or similar.

Ferris wrote: »
    How about a SIB (soft inflatable boat)? Honwave or Excel are two popular manufacturers but there are others. An airfloor type will deflate for winter storage etc. and could be stored in a garden shed or storeroom. FYI I think that they are still very heavy but they can be transported in the boot of a car, which is a key point as you can then use GoCar etc. Might be an option, you’d just need to be careful with hooks etc.

Thanks for the tip about Excel the description speaks of quality to me, and the price is very competitive v Honwave.

antietam1 wrote: »
    Thanks for the tip about Excel the description speaks of quality to me, and the price is very competitive v Honwave.

No problem, just to be clear I have no experience of SIB’s, RIBs are more my thing. But there are some guys who have completed some pretty impressive cruises on SIBs, check out www.rib.net. They have a SIB forum where there are guys going up the west coast of Scotland on them. Some swear by honwave btw. The trick with them seems to be get the longest SIB with the best power to weight outboard possible. The 9.8 Tohatsu is a great option in this regard.

No problem, just to be clear I have no experience of SIB’s, RIBs are more my thing. But there are some guys who have completed some pretty impressive cruises on SIBs, check out www.rib.net. They have a SIB forum where there are guys going up the west coast of Scotland on them. Some swear by honwave btw. The trick with them seems to be get the longest SIB with the best power to weight outboard possible. The 9.8 Tohatsu is a great option in this regard.

One thing I like about the Excel is the 2.9 metre has two seats, even the 3.2m Honwave only has one.
    also is selling in the UK for £759.
    Will check out that site.
    Really miss two strokes from the weight point of view

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

Power boat is 125€ for 3 hours inc the petrol. Happy with that price.

where did you rent that from?

where did you rent that from?

THE IRISH NATIONAL SAILING & POWERBOAT SCHOOL

https://www.inss.ie/boat-charter/powerboat-charter.955.html

So I have ordered the Excel Volante sd 290 which wont arrive until mid October.
    Which is more or less end of season for me, might get it on the water if I can slim into my wet suit.
    Went ahead and ordered because I figured if I wait until next year boat being English made will end up paying more in duty.
    Anyone here know if I'm right about duty?
    Haven't put a deposit on it yet.

Wow! Well done - that looks to be a good boat, well wear.

You need to do some homework re. lightest weight outboard. Might be worth asking Excel what motor they recommend. Something like the Tohatsu 9.8 would be great on that but I like 2 strokes. You can still get them, it just takes a little work.

Also think about an electric pump to inflate as you will be doing that every launch. I believe bravo pumps are the best/quickest. rib.net is worth a read on this. Also launchng wheels might be useful to wheel the boat ans engine to the water from wherever you inflate?

• Advertisement

Wow! Well done - that looks to be a good boat, well wear.

You need to do some homework re. lightest weight outboard. Might be worth asking Excel what motor they recommend. Something like the Tohatsu 9.8 would be great on that but I like 2 strokes. You can still get them, it just takes a little work.

Also think about an electric pump to inflate as you will be doing that every launch. I believe bravo pumps are the best/quickest. rib.net is worth a read on this. Also launchng wheels might be useful to wheel the boat ans engine to the water from wherever you inflate?

You are reading my mind, I have the Tohatsu 9.8 hp 4 stroke elec start which at 43kg is just under the max of 45.
    I have the bravo 12 electric pump, which is fine but needed to fiddle with connections.
    I have the waveline dinghy wheels max weight 118kg which didn't really fit the honwave 2.4 because of the trim tabs, there is a picture of the excel with the waveline wheels.
    Love the elec start because the pull start is very hard on my old fingers.
    The 2 stroke would only weigh 27kg.

Advertisement