Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Year...... New TV series

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Loughc wrote: »
    It's 2 hours 40 minutes so leave it for when you have a good block of time to use up. Deffo worth it though, perfect Sunday afternoon viewing.

Good to know, ta.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,120 ✭✭✭✭DvB

I find film versions of musicals to be 'missing' something from the stage versions, for me film just seems to striggle to capture that magic of seeing a show live. The Mrs has mentioned watching this so I'm sure we will sit down & watch it soon enough but I'd so much prefer to see any musical live & in the flesh so to speak.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

DvB wrote: »
    I find film versions of musicals to be 'missing' something from the stage versions, for me film just seems to striggle to capture that magic of seeing a show live. The Mrs has mentioned watching this so I'm sure we will sit down & watch it soon enough but I'd so much prefer to see any musical live & in the flesh so to speak.

Oh 100% there is nothing like seeing a musical live in the flesh, but to be fair this did translate very well and it may be another year before we'll even get the opportunity to go see a musical live.

Oh 100% there is nothing like seeing a musical live in the flesh, but to be fair this did translate very well and it may be another year before we'll even get the opportunity to go see a musical live.

Stop, could be an age before we see anything 'live' again... so depressing.

Glad to get a thumbs up for this nonetheless, may push it further up the list of things to watch!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Started watching Schitts Creek on Netflix last night, mostly due to the decent cast they've put together (love anything with Eugene Levy in it) and have to say underwhelmed after 4 episodes, was only Okay, willing to give it the full forst season though. There was a few witty bits but just felt it a bit slow to get going.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Stick with it- Well I love it anyway! :D

Just watched the last episode of it there recently, and I was devastated it was over. :(

Posy wrote: »
    Stick with it- Well I love it anyway! :D

Just watched the last episode of it there recently, and I was devastated it was over. :(

I suspect we will, theres enough funny bits to just keep going, for now anyway. The shorter episodes make it easier to fit in too.

6 whole seasons though :eek:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,995 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I think it's one of those shows that grows on you, at first you think the characters in the family are all one dimensional, bratty snobs but it does improve as you get to know them through the series :)
    I'm slowly going through series 6 at the moment cos I know that's it then, all over.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I’m slow to the races with this one but Jack Ryan on Amazon is very good.

I've been on the Netflix Recommendations thread a few times encouraging people to stick with Schitt's Creek. I didn't like it at first, but on the second go I loved it. The show is finding its feet in season 1, and I found that it does improve. The Rose family are excellent once you get to know them :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I've started watching HUMANS on Netflix, since I never seen it on Channel 4 at the time. It's feckin' great!

I've been on the Netflix Recommendations thread a few times encouraging people to stick with Schitt's Creek. I didn't like it at first, but on the second go I loved it. The show is finding its feet in season 1, and I found that it does improve. The Rose family are excellent once you get to know them :)

Watched the episode last night with Catherine O'Hara doing the wine advert, utterly brilliant, got a great laugh out of it, as did the Mrs so I think we're over our teething problems now.

Watched the episode last night with Catherine O'Hara doing the wine advert, utterly brilliant, got a great laugh out of it, as did the Mrs so I think we're over our teething problems now.

Crabapple :D she is hilarious!

Posy wrote: »
    I've started watching HUMANS on Netflix, since I never seen it on Channel 4 at the time. It's feckin' great!

Ooh I just added this to my list :)

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2020-07-27/great-british-bake-off-2020-longer-episodes/

GBBO is happening... yay!!

It normally starts airing in late August but they're currently filming so will be on later in the year. Have a feeling the final might be on Christmas week or close enough to it anyway.

I always consider GBBO as one of the stepping stones to the christmas build up so its great to see it hasn't been cancelled.

Loads of Christmas stuff on over the weekend, the film 'deck the halls' was on earlier and a load of 'friends' and 'only fools' christmas specials on today also...

Christmas in August!

Loads of Christmas stuff on over the weekend, the film 'deck the halls' was on earlier and a load of 'friends' and 'only fools' christmas specials on today also...

Christmas in August!

Was catching up on some recorded stuff last night and saw an ad on Comedy Central for Christmas in August on Sunday. Got excited as thought it was this coming Sunday and then realised programme was from last week so missed it last Sunday :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Filming has begun on the Call The Midwife 2020 Christmas Special

https://twitter.com/bbcpress/status/1295671668833243136

Twilight zone episode on sky one atm is Christmas based.

I see strictly have started announcing their celebrities... due to start Oct 24th with a 9 week run instead of the usual 13 hence the later than usual start.

• Advertisement

I see strictly have started announcing their celebrities... due to start Oct 24th with a 9 week run instead of the usual 13 hence the later than usual start.

NFL interest this year as well!

I wonder how will it work, will there be a studio audience?

Will dancers need to socially distance? :pac:

Will the judges give their scores via zoom?

I wonder how will it work, will there be a studio audience?

Will dancers need to socially distance? :pac:

Will the judges give their scores via zoom?

Either way, with that & great British Bake off still happening at least we'll have something normal to keep us entertained in the dark evenings on the run up to Christmas.

Either way, with that & great British Bake off still happening at least we'll have something normal to keep us entertained in the dark evenings on the run up to Christmas.

Yea I agree, I do love the Autumn TV nights.

Britain's Got Talent Semi Finals are back this Saturday which is always a good watch and will most likely fill the Autumn Saturday night void of the X-Factor.

Britain's Got Talent Semi Finals are back this Saturday which is always a good watch and will most likely fill the Autumn Saturday night void of the X-Factor.

Is there a live studio/theatre audience (of sorts) permitted? A huge part of the dynamic on that show is the audience so it would be such a shame if none was permitted.

Is there a live studio/theatre audience (of sorts) permitted? A huge part of the dynamic on that show is the audience so it would be such a shame if none was permitted.

No audience unfortunately so yeah its going to be strange how it plays out.

No audience unfortunately so yeah its going to be strange how it plays out.

Was watching The Voice-kids the other night and they had big walls of people watching from home. Also had piped in cheers etc. Was hard to tell the difference initially until they did a close up and you could see it was all people on screens.

Any binge-able series recommendations? At a bind for the next 2 weeks.

• Advertisement

Any binge-able series recommendations? At a bind for the next 2 weeks.

We're currently watching the Strike series with Tom Burke, originally on BBC (IIRC) they're all on Alibi (first 2 series only has a total of 7 episodes as each is an hour) The 3rd series is currently on BBC.

About a private detective and his partner, has J.K. Rowling involved on the production side too. I like it, think Tom Burke is fantastic in the lead role.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4276618/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

Advertisement