Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

mulranny or westport

• 28-07-2020 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭

hi. Going to be in mulranny on a family holiday in September. Have one morning off to play golf!

Westport was recommended to me but wondering is mulranny worth playing instead seeing as its on my doorstep. Will be playing alone.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,092 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Ryder wrote: »
    hi. Going to be in mulranny on a family holiday in September. Have one morning off to play golf!

Westport was recommended to me but wondering is mulranny worth playing instead seeing as its on my doorstep. Will be playing alone.

Cheers

I really like Mulranny but it's not going to be everyone's cup of tea. You'll probably have played lots of courses like Westport and very few like Mulranny. Fences around the green to keep the sheep out for example, stunning views as well.

If you're looking to play alone for time reasons, then you mightn't be able to in Westport as it'll be busy most of the time. You would have a much better chance in Mulranny and it's a 9 hole course so you've that option as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭thewobbler

PARlance wrote: »
    I really like Mulranny but it's not going to be everyone's cup of tea. You'll probably have played lots of courses like Westport and very few like Mulranny. Fences around the green to keep the sheep out for example, stunning views as well.

If you're looking to play alone for time reasons, then you mightn't be able to in Westport as it'll be busy most of the time. You would have a much better chance in Mulranny and it's a 9 hole course so you've that option as well.

That’s a little touch dismissive of Westport imho. There aren’t many parklands that look like Westport (first six holes aside).

That said, if i was given a morning off to golf in OP’s situation, I’d recommend Mulranny too. It’ll likely be quiet, you might get 27 in without noticing, and if the weather ****s down, you can happily walk off after 9,

Plus you’ll save an hour of driving, which is a great excuse for sneaking across the road for a couple of pints.

Short, quirky and unusual. Fun golf.

thewobbler wrote: »
    That’s a little touch dismissive of Westport imho. There aren’t many parklands that look like Westport (first six holes aside).

That said, if i was given a morning off to golf in OP’s situation, I’d recommend Mulranny too. It’ll likely be quiet, you might get 27 in without noticing, and if the weather ****s down, you can happily walk off after 9,

Plus you’ll save an hour of driving, which is a great excuse for sneaking across the road for a couple of pints.

Short, quirky and unusual. Fun golf.

Didn't mean to be dismissive of Westport, I really like the course and there are some great views, particularly between 11-16. My point was the rest are similar to holes you may find elsewhere, that's not to say they are not good holes though. The run from 7-18 is very good after what is a gentle enough start from 1-6. I suppose my point was made with the uniqueness of Mulranny in mind moreso than the quality of Westport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

I once finished birdie, birdie, 10 (par 4), birdie in Westport!! Fine track, haven't played Mulranny

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

Would you consider popping 45 mins up the road to Carne? I haven’t played Mulranney, but Carne is another worldly golf experience if you ask me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

I would play Mulranny, nice and close to where you are, a nice little course, great views and the sheep and donkeys are very friendly : D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭dennyire

Mulranny a great little course. One piece of advice....dont do what i did.
    Opened the car with keys after the game as fob wasnt working. left keyys in drivers door.
    Went to the boot to change footwear and put the gear back in
    I heard a noise and looked around.....donkey trying to get my keys out of car door.
    Stopped him in time otherwise would have had to follow him for the rest of day and night until nature took its course
    Beautiful day out and if I remember rightly...a few years ago... it was an honesty box

dennyire wrote: »
    Mulranny a great little course. One piece of advice....dont do what i did.
    Opened the car with keys after the game as fob wasnt working. left keyys in drivers door.
    Went to the boot to change footwear and put the gear back in
    I heard a noise and looked around.....donkey trying to get my keys out of car door.
    Stopped him in time otherwise would have had to follow him for the rest of day and night until nature took its course
    Beautiful day out and if I remember rightly...a few years ago... it was an honesty box

The donkey is in charge of the honesty box, he's known to take car keys in lieu of payment ;)

Dying for a game in Mulranny now.

If relevant to OP, they have Open Comps over the weekends now as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭ahnoyouregrand

PARlance wrote: »
    The donkey is in charge of the honesty box, he's known to take car keys in lieu of payment ;)

Dying for a game in Mulranny now.

If relevant to OP, they have Open Comps over the weekends now as well.

Are the open comps over weekend? Website says monday and tuesday from 27th july... heading there myself the week after next and plan on playing a round or two!

Are the open comps over weekend? Website says monday and tuesday from 27th july... heading there myself the week after next and plan on playing a round or two!

My bad, it is Monday and Tuesday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Ally McIntosh

I like Westport a lot. It has a few excellent holes and in the 15th, one of the best in Ireland.

But Mulranny is a great course. It has 2 or 3 magnificent holes and one of the best sets of greens anywhere. Almost impossible to lose a ball, it is the essence of the game. Should not be missed.

Advertisement