Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin - Belfast Train

Options
  • 29-07-2020 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭

Haven't got the train since lockdown, how does the seating arrangement work? Heading up on Friday, booked my ticket online but it said that there's no allocated seat.

Is it like the Dublin busses, with stuff covering seats you can't use?

Comments

The_Fitz wrote: »
    Haven't got the train since lockdown, how does the seating arrangement work? Heading up on Friday, booked my ticket online but it said that there's no allocated seat.

Got the train to Galway a few weeks back. There's a sticker on 3 out of the 4 seats, and only 1 person sitting at each table of four. I'd imagine, the Enterprise is similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭bikeman1

Got the train to Galway a few weeks back. There's a sticker on 3 out of the 4 seats, and only 1 person sitting at each table of four. I'd imagine, the Enterprise is similar.

It is now only every second seat that is blocked off. That's on Irish Rail. The Enterprise may be different with it being a joint operation with TransLink NIR

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭The_Fitz

Just wondering how they cope if there's more people than seats. Although the fact that I've not ventured anywhere really since lockdown means that it'll probably be empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭zzantara

I traveled on the Dublin/Belfast Enterprise train both ways recently.
    Contrary to what other posters have said it's not the same as other Irish Rail routes, it's jointly run by Translink ( NI Railways) and Irish Rail.
    I'm not sure if it was coincidental but both legs that I traveled on were operated by Translink so they were operating to NI Covid Rules .
    There was no seating blocked off and face masks were few and far between, it was "sit where you like " although most people tended to give each other space.
    Remember it's also used as a Commuter Train between Newry/Portadown and Belfast.
    I transferred to an Irish Rail Train and the difference was noticeable, blocked off seating and the vast majority wearing masks, I suppose it's "different jurisdictions - different rules "??
    It's a very pleasant and efficient journey.

zzantara wrote: »
    I traveled on the Dublin/Belfast Enterprise train both ways recently.
    Contrary to what other posters have said it's not the same as other Irish Rail routes, it's jointly run by Translink ( NI Railways) and Irish Rail.
    I'm not sure if it was coincidental but both legs that I traveled on were operated by Translink so they were operating to NI Covid Rules .
    There was no seating blocked off and face masks were few and far between, it was "sit where you like " although most people tended to give each other space.
    Remember it's also used as a Commuter Train between Newry/Portadown and Belfast.
    I transferred to an Irish Rail Train and the difference was noticeable, blocked off seating and the vast majority wearing masks, I suppose it's "different jurisdictions - different rules "??
    It's a very pleasant and efficient journey.

Grand - so bounce and and sit wherever then? Was it busy?

• Advertisement

With commuters from Newry /Portadown ---about 50% full, same on return, before and after Newry about 30%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

Do you need any ID/Passport etc to use the Belfast train?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Yes you should have ID

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭tnegun

A presume a group of 4 travel together can sit together?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,664 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Yes you should have ID

I used it at the start of the year and don't remember being asked for ID, even though I'd have had it on me anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I used it at the start of the year and don't remember being asked for ID, even though I'd have had it on me anyway?

Doesn't have to be a passport but you must have valid ID which would be a licence, pps card etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Normal seating .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Grand - so bounce and and sit wherever then? Was it busy?

Friday was busy.

I've never been asked for ID/4 can sit together.

No.

Well have got it a lot of times and never been asked for one. Not sure if recommended or not.

Was up and down on it at the weekend and they have the seats marked off that you can't sit on with the same marking (looks to me) that are on Dublin bus. Friday the train was rammed and only one person in my carriage not wearing a mask, an oul lady.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

I'm hopefully (all things covid related staying ok) heading up to Belfast for a 2 night mini break the end of August and was thinking of getting the train up. 40e return on train vs 20 with Bus Éireann. Just wondering if train is worth it over the bus in terms of comfort/journey time? I'm staying in Belfast City Centre, so both bus station and train are close to my hotel.

I'm hopefully (all things covid related staying ok) heading up to Belfast for a 2 night mini break the end of August and was thinking of getting the train up. 40e return on train vs 20 with Bus Éireann. Just wondering if train is worth it over the bus in terms of comfort/journey time? I'm staying in Belfast City Centre, so both bus station and train are close to my hotel.

I get the train because it's handy for me to be picked up with the station being a little bit out of the centre. The train is nice and comfortable, can have a swally on it.

Bus is a bit quicker though and drops ye right in the centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

I get the train because it's handy for me to be picked up with the station being a little bit out of the centre. The train is nice and comfortable, can have a swally on it.

Bus is a bit quicker though and drops ye right in the centre.

I think I'll go with the train, just to give myself the illusion of going somewhere far away. Was supposed to be in Japan the last 2 weeks of August, so Enterprise will have to substitute for bullet train in these strange times!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

I've used it 30-40 times, never been asked for ID (I keep my passport card on me at all times anyway).

• Advertisement
Advertisement