Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Order Bottle of Wine in Restaurant to take home

• 28-07-2020 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,792 ✭✭✭✭

I have a €100 voucher for a restaurant in Howth burning a hole in my wallet since Christmas.

Looking at the menu, I'm probably only going to spend approximately €60 on a lunch.
    I'll be driving so won't be ordering wine with lunch.
    I'd rather spend the full amount as not sure when I will be back out that way.

I'm considering ordering a bottle of nice wine to take home.

Just curious if there would be any legal complications with the above, or should I be ok if I ask nicely?

Cheers.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,741 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I have a €100 voucher for a restaurant in Howth burning a hole in my wallet since Christmas.

Looking at the menu, I'm probably only going to spend approximately €60 on a lunch.
    I'll be driving so won't be ordering wine with lunch.
    I'd rather spend the full amount as not sure when I will be back out that way.

I'm considering ordering a bottle of nice wine to take home.

Just curious if there would be any legal complications with the above, or should I be ok if I ask nicely?

Cheers.

I don't see why that would be an issue.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

It depends on the licence the premises has. A wine-retailer's on-licence, which I think is the most common one for restaurants, does not permit off-sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,895 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Ask them - worst they can say is no.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I don't see why that would be an issue.

Because they might not have an off-licence!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,741 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Marcusm wrote: »
    Because they might not have an off-licence!

I still can't imagine a restaurant making a fuss over this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

I've occasionally asked for the cork to be left with the bottle, and taken the remainder home with me.several different restaurants. Not sure there's a legal difference between taking the remainder of an opened bottle Vs an unopened one though.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,792 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Turns out the question was a moot point as the restaurant in question actually advertises bottles of its particular house wine for off sale...
    But I'll keep the suggestions here on the thread in mind as I have more vouchers to get through elsewhere :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

If they advertise for off sales I expect it is a reasonable price?

As I would have thought from the menu the mark up would be a lot, in which case I would be asking them if I could use the voucher on 2 different occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,792 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

rubadub wrote: »
    If they advertise for off sales I expect it is a reasonable price? As I would have thought from the menu the mark up would be a lot, in which case I would be asking them if I could use the voucher on 2 different occasions.

Aye it was 66% of the price.
    The voucher had a little grid on it for recording how much was spent on it, never seen that before, so could be used over multiple trips.

Advertisement