Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Porsche Boxter, intermediate shaft

• 28-07-2020 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭

Hello all
    i need some advice on this subject. i have googled extensively and read lots , but hopefully someone on here here has direct advice.
    my nephew and I have two Boxters, one accident damaged and one flood damaged.

We are close to abandoning this project and want to consider breaking for parts.

each car has the 3.2 litre engine. each are pre 2004, which puts them in the age bracket for intermediate shaft problems.

Google has informed me that there were several modifications to this before it was sorted.

I cannot imagine anyone even considering buying an engine from me without knowing if it it runs, or indeed runs well.

The loom in the flood damaged car is knackered apparently

We have a blank ecu which can be programmed to either car, by a competent person.

to get the damaged car running would not be impossible, as it ran before, and is stored indoors.

even if it was running , who can give an opinion on its intermediate shaft?

to get the water damaged one running is an uphill task, i such a person exists ,he would need to patch up the loom to get the engine running.

Advice anyone

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭Bigus

Here’s ant anstead wheeler dealers doing one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

Thanks Bigus,
    interesting... he said the box of bits was 1700 dollars and later commented it was a cheap job . certainly cheap compared to engine disaster..

What i want to know is how a Porsche competent mechanic can determine if this problem is imminent... though as i type i realise ,that the offending bearing can be fairly easily visually checked, as he did.
    thanks again

just pumping up this question, are any porsche mechanic types on here
    regards

• Registered Users Posts: 12,740 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

That 3.2 is the M96 engine, which was used across several models in several capacities all the way from 2.5 to 3.6, all normally aspirated.

I have the 3.6 variant in my 93 996. Even before I bought it, I resigned myself to the fact that its like driving a grenade. Without the pin.

And eventually yes, it did go off. Spectacularly.

And not as is more common, the IMS/RMS, nor the famous cylinder D-chunk. No mine did the lesser spotted but by no mean rare Valve Seat Drop. As in, an exhaust valve seat left the head, met a piston, and then went On Tour to all the other cylinders via the intake manifold.

The cylinder head in question quit in disgust....

If I don't write that comedically then I'm afraid the accompanying Very Large 5-figure repair bill seems all the more painful. 89k miles and FSH seems to do s.f.a. imho.

It now sports 997 spec IMS/RMS set up, so there's that.

There are several people in Ireland who could give advice: Bryan Kane in Harmonstown Motors(Dublin), Des Golden, Little Island, Jon Miller of Classic Carreras (Limerick), Barry Whelan Motors, Dublin 8.

I'd be for avoiding the flood damaged car tbh unless youre doing a bare shell rebuild.

What more can I tell you ??

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Neilw

I had a 996 with the 3.4 M96, the supposidly better twin row IMS bearing version.
    Same as galwaytt mine needed a rebuild at about 70k, again not IMS, valve drop or d chunk, mine was rod bearings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,548 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I have the smaller 2.5l version of the M96 engine in my Boxster. Apparently, these are the least prone to IMS bearing failure. If it happens to mine, I will not replace the engine, but I would instead look into converting it to electric. Got my car back on the road yesterday after a year off. Need to sort a few things and I've booked it into the first available slot for NCT testing in October.

GalwayTT
    thanks for info
    you and i conversed some years ago, when i wrongly assumed your name was from an NSU

You had difficulty selling two porsches as I recall ( no market then)

It seems , from my googling that the IMS problems ended after 2004, three different cures being tried by Porsche.
    your story of the travels of the pieces though the engine is quite witty, Ouch

There is a chap in Cork offering to buy boxters, this may well be the Des Golden you mention

the value of a 2004 boxter does not seem worth the work i face. But I could not imagine anyone buying either of my engines ass they stand

Thanks again

The Boxsters are likely to go up in value quite a bit, but not significantly for some years to come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

galwaytt wrote: »
    ....If I don't write that comedically then I'm afraid the accompanying Very Large 5-figure repair bill seems all the more painful. 89k miles and FSH seems to do s.f.a. imho....

A friends new Boxster S of that era failed at 20k. So you did well to get that far.

Fun fact: the easiest way to have a decent chance of avoiding the problem is to regularly drive the absolute bejaysus out of the car or race it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,740 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

unkel wrote: »
    The Boxsters are likely to go up in value quite a bit, but not significantly for some years to come.

Oh to have bought up all those 4k/5k Boxsters not that long ago. .

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement