Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Petrol ~ How Old Is Too Old?

• 28-07-2020 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

:confused: I'm always being warned against leaving petrol in a 2 stroke bit of gear. But, what's " Too long "? When does the petrol in the red container become a liability?

I know it won't be an exact science. But, what's the rule of thumb here, please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

2 months is pushing it with pump petrol.
    After 2-3mths it won't even fire the engine IME.
    If you want to leave petrol in a 2 stroke or 4 stroke engine, use Aspen or another brand of alkylate petrol.
    It will last a season without any ill effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Stigura

Excellent! Thank you :)

Stigura wrote: »
    Excellent! Thank you :)

If you plan on storing petrol use a metal jerry can they can be obtained from 5 to 20 litres and are much less porous than plastic.

Know what? I think ye just made my day!

Only last week I was in the creamery and I passed this little, metal jerry can. And I actually thought; " Oh god, how cool is That?! But, no: Ye have no use for one. "

It's coming home, next time I get in there! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I have petrol in a plastic Jerry can for two years and it still works ok. Chainsaw starts up without much issue.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Ah - you asked how long you can leave it in the engine, rather than in storage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

I've had petrol in a 1988 Harley Davidson for years.

I added Stabil fuel stabiliser.
    Runs no bother

Shut up! I want this cute little green jerry can! :D

And, yeah, interestingly; I have a half jar of 'older' petrol sat on my bench? I'm keeping it to throw on something. But, yeah, there is something going on in there. 'Bits' are forming. Like, if that was ye blood? Heart attack highway!

What started all this is that I left my brush cutter for a year, or three. When we opened the tank and tried to pour it? Wow! It was revolting! Plopped out like jelly!

Cost me seventy quid to have it stripped and made working again. That's why I asked. There's a bit of fresh fuel in the tank as I type. I'll focus on using that up, soon, now.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,007 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Somewhat related, but lately I'm finding that my lawnmower is empty every time I come to it, I guess it's evaporating but I have never seen it go so quickly (seems half a tank in under a week for example)
    The cap seems fine (has the usual vents but no cracks etc)

Any ideas? (other than my current approach which is to only fill what I think I will need)

Yeah, you should always run a two stroke dry if you don't intend to use it for more than a few weeks as it gums up the carbs.

• Advertisement

Yeah, you should always run any engine dry if you don't intend to use it for more than a few weeks as it gums up the carbs.
    the ethanol will absorb water and cause corrosion and carb damage that is often irreparable, necessitating a new carb

FTFY;)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,104 ✭✭✭✭Water John

An additive called Fuel Fit will keep the petrol from going stale. It's good to add it for small petrol engines anyway.

I'm happy now! :D

Jerry.jpg

This next! ;) Thanks, lads.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    FTFY;)
    objection your honour!
    not any engine, because not all engines have carbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

GreeBo wrote: »
    Somewhat related, but lately I'm finding that my lawnmower is empty every time I come to it, I guess it's evaporating but I have never seen it go so quickly (seems half a tank in under a week for example)

corroded fuel line i reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭J_A_F_A

If it's not an immediately noticeable leak it may be a loose grommet.
    GreeBo wrote: »

Any ideas? (other than my current approach which is to only fill what I think I will need)

Ooh, yeah! That nozzle's a blinder! Thanks! (I hadn't even thought that far ahead :o)

Be getting one of those. Just checking to ensure they'll fit my little can :)

It's a standard fitting. There's also a flexible version available. https://www.clarkesofcavan.ie/shop/agriculture/fuel-handling/storage/flexible-jerry-can-spout/
    Stigura wrote: »
    Ooh, yeah! That nozzle's a blinder! Thanks! (I hadn't even thought that far ahead :o)

Be getting one of those. Just checking to ensure they'll fit my little can :)

objection your honour!
    not any engine, because not all engines have carbs.

Quite true.
    However, FI systems still use metal components and the reaction between ethanol and water allows a bacteria called acetobacter to form, which produces acetic acid which is basically very strong vinegar.:mad:
    Not good but fuel stabiliser helps a lot.
    https://www.equipmentworld.com/e-10-alive-the-corrosive-damage-ethanol-gasoline-does-to-your-fuel-pump/

• Advertisement

Was in the creamery, yesterday. Followed a sign for hinges, which I was after. Sods had moved the hinges! But, look what they'd put there instead! :D

FF.jpg
    Saved my a fiver in shipping too ;)

Advertisement