Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frankfield Driving Range Short Game Area

• 30-05-2019 12:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

Was at Frankfield Driving range last week, they have opened up their short game area on the left as you drive in from the lower entrance. As far as I know for the first time, as opposed to the small green in the corner of the field.

For €5 token from the bar you get unlimited time using your own balls, on 2 greens with 3 flags each, a couple of bunkers for each green, plus the massive practice putting green.

There’s space around the greens, as well as lots of trees: I managed to play pitches up to about 80 yards as well as obviously chipping much closer to the greens.

I really can’t fault it, I’ve been looking for somewhere like this since I’ve been living in Cork some 7 years now (that doesn’t have a €800 annual fee cough cough!), I feel like my long game has improved whereas my short game has gone backwards so hopefully this might help.

The only downside is the notorious hill, but to be honest you can play shots from pretty much wherever you want so as much or as little up/down/left/right as you like. Tricky to get a level shot though. And the putting green is so slopey it really is a bit of a waste of time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,988 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I managed to play pitches up to about 80 yards as well as obviously chipping much closer to the greens.
    Are they ok with you hitting shots of this length into a practice green?
    Usually its not allowed as people dont repair their pitch marks when practicing and then chipping onto the green becomes a lottery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

GreeBo wrote: »
    Are they ok with you hitting shots of this length into a practice green?
    Usually its not allowed as people dont repair their pitch marks when practicing and then chipping onto the green becomes a lottery.

You really should practice what you preach about reading posts properly.

Nowhere did the OP say he was pitching from 80 yards onto a green.

This is what he said "I managed to play pitches up to about 80 yards as well as obviously chipping much closer to the greens"

This is what he said "I managed to play pitches up to about 80 yards as well as obviously chipping much closer to the greens"

Well Holy God.

What I actually did was ASK the OP if the owners are ok with people doing it.
    Nowhere did I say the OP did it.

"You" is usually a second person pronoun. It is also used to refer to an indeterminate person, as a more common alternative to the very formal indefinite pronoun one.

Thus ends the English lesson for today, thank you come again.

Well Holy God.

"You" is usually a second person pronoun. It is also used to refer to an indeterminate person, as a more common alternative to the very formal indefinite pronoun one.

:D:D:D When you are explaining, you are losing;)

Just read the post properly next time before putting your foot in your mouth and you won't be called out on it, good man

:D:D:D When you are explaining, you are losing;)
    I seek to eliminate ignorance wherever i find it, today was your turn.
    Just read the post properly next time before putting your foot in your mouth and you won't be called out on it, good man

Indeed, words to live by there chief, just ensure you have your dictionary to hand next time to avoid further embarrassment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Dbu

Flipping hell, this is a golf forum

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

To be fair, the OP didn't say he was pitching on to a green, but he certainly implied that this is what he was doing. Also I don't know why you would go to a short game area to practice not playing into a green.

I seek to eliminate ignorance wherever i find it, today was your turn.

Indeed, words to live by there chief, just ensure you have your dictionary to hand next time to avoid further embarrassment.

If you want to know if their policy is to allow 80 yard pitch shots into the practice green then I suggest you contact them or ask before you start hitting, then again I'd be doubtful if you actually want to know, or have any plans to visit but just wanted to feel all superior and belittle the OP and chastise him if possible.

Let us know if you if and when you get a response from Frankfield like a good lad

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Well Holy God.

Wee dont need peoples spelling picked on or mocked. Stop it thank's

If you want to know if their policy is to allow 80 yard pitch shots into the practice green then I suggest you contact them or ask before you start hitting, then again I'd be doubtful if you actually want to know, or have any plans to visit but just wanted to feel all superior and belittle the OP and chastise him if possible.

Let us know if you if and when you get a response from Frankfield like a good lad

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_holes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Deporhostia

Anyway....I did hit some shots from 80 yards to greens, the guy who runs it encouraged me to do so before I played (claiming it was around 100 yards). It had been very dry and the greens are very firm, I hardly put a dent in them.

Anyway....I did hit some shots from 80 yards to greens, the guy who runs it encouraged me to do so before I played (claiming it was around 100 yards). It had been very dry and the greens are very firm, I hardly put a dent in them.

Thanks for clarifying.

I'd get onto An Post, that apology I'm sure you posted still hasn't arrived on the thread...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭slingerz

Is this the place behind the bar there? Or somewhere else in Frankfield

slingerz wrote: »
    Is this the place behind the bar there? Or somewhere else in Frankfield

Yep as you leave the bar to go into the car park it’s over on your left hand side

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

Is the golf course popular I played there years ago it's insane it's built on a hillside I mean it most be the oddest course there is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,106 ✭✭✭big_drive

Oasis1974 wrote: »
    Is the golf course popular I played there years ago it's insane it's built on a hillside I mean it most be the oddest course there is.

Course is gone a few years. Just a driving range now

• Registered Users Posts: 4 frannkie95

Was planning on going up here to practice the short game, but have heard from a few friends that the token machine has been closed and the putting green is off limits.
    Coming up from East Cork so don't want to waste a long drive.

Does anyone know if its definitely closed?

frannkie95 wrote: »
    Was planning on going up here to practice the short game, but have heard from a few friends that the token machine has been closed and the putting green is off limits.
    Coming up from East Cork so don't want to waste a long drive.

Does anyone know if its definitely closed?

I think the putting green you have to pay for and the chipping area you have to pay for are closed. But the range (grass and bays) and the free putting/chipping area are both open

Advertisement