Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Drinks: are the guards sound?

• 26-07-2020 9:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭

Coming down with the girlfriend next weekend. Our hotel is following the 90 minute drinks guidelines. Are the Guards sound about people having a few drinks in the open around the Arch/canals these days? We are quiet, not getting drunk and will not be littering. I've heard Monroe's are selling pints? Friends are having a house party but we do not want to gather indoors like that.

Would love to know your thoughts and hope nobody gets offended by this, thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Outdoor drinking in Sparch etc isn't really accepted.
    Guards will move you along or have you pour your beer out.
    I've been chased away myself by them a few times.
    And yeah, they are sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Una1981

A file will be sent to the BGG (bicycle garda guy)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭TwoWheeledTim

Generally sound if there's nobody causing trouble, one consistent or growing messy group nearby and they might clear the area. But normally just a walk past the area to remind people they're around. If you're not near messy groups you'll be fine to enjoy a few cans.

Do hotels have to keep the time rule for residents? Was talking to someone staying in a hotel over the weekend and they were saying the hotel bar is being ran as a normal bar for residents. No food needed, no booking and no time limits.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,244 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Do hotels have to keep the time rule for residents? Was talking to someone staying in a hotel over the weekend and they were saying the hotel bar is being ran as a normal bar for residents. No food needed, no booking and no time limits.

Yes they are supposed to follow the rules but like anywhere if there are no bookings after you then they won't throw you out after 90 minutes.

• Advertisement

Kingp35 wrote: »
    Yes they are supposed to follow the rules but like anywhere if there are no bookings after you then they won't throw you out after 90 minutes.

Yeah I know places are being lax on time limits but this was just being ran as a normal pub no booking happening at all, no one eating and stayed serving until after 2am. Just walk in and drink away as always.

It wasn’t in Galway btw, a neighbouring county.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,659 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It wasn’t in Galway btw, a neighbouring county.

Dem feckin Mayos just can't follow da rulz

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

In normal circumstances I would just pour my drink into a takeaway coffee cup, have the rest in a back pack

• Registered Users Posts: 15,046 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

A friend was staying in a hotel in Eyre Square last weekend and even though they were residents in that night, the hotel would not serve alcohol unless food was ordered. They had just come back from a dinner elsewhere, so had to go to their room to watch TV at 18.00 as they couldn't sit in the bar.

As for drinking beers and guards. I've gotten Monroe's a few times. On the last occasion, Two guards came to us, a group of 3, and were quite rude to us and just let us move alone and finish the pints. And other guard came later and was very friendly but poured them out. Depends who you get I guess, I'd imagine race week would be policed a bit stricter.

Advertisement