Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for some advice.

• 27-07-2020 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭

Hi all,

Looking for some advice on a few things.

1. Iron length, currently playing with an off the shelf set of Callaway irons, I'm 6'2 and I'm a little hunched over with the shorter irons, should I consider irons that are a half inch longer?

2. I'm not sure what shaft stiffness I should be using, I guess this comes down to club speed, the irons I have are uniflex steel irons.

3. Driver, I have a regular shaft graphite driver, I'm incredibly inconsistent off the tee, mixed bag of slice, hook and sometimes straight down the middle, not going to blame the club, have used toptracer and consistently hit 270+ but losing a lot of distance with the slice, would a lesson be a good idea to try and address the inconsistency?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Austmcc

Aph2016 wrote: »
    Hi all,

1. Iron length, currently playing with an off the shelf set of Callaway irons, I'm 6'2 and I'm a little hunched over with the shorter irons, should I consider irons that are a half inch longer?

2. I'm not sure what shaft stiffness I should be using, I guess this comes down to club speed, the irons I have are uniflex steel irons.

3. Driver, I have a regular shaft graphite driver, I'm incredibly inconsistent off the tee, mixed bag of slice, hook and sometimes straight down the middle, not going to blame the club, have used toptracer and consistently hit 270+ but losing a lot of distance with the slice, would a lesson be a good idea to try and address the inconsistency?

Just to start, any advice you get online including articles from magazines, YouTube and forums etc, need to be taken with more than a few grains of salt. The internet is full of 'experts'.

Point 1 and 2, there are general guidelines, but you need to get fitted to answer these questions. Swing speed, shaft load, angle of attack...the list goes on. A competent fitter can get the data and talk you through it. And from my experience, just cause someone works in a golf shop, does not mean they know anything about fitting. I've heard all sorts of bull that have made me walk out and keep my money.

Point 3, lessons to sort out problems are of course the way to go. Any advice from articles videos or forums may not be applicable, because everybody swings differently. A decent teaching professional or even the fitter, if you go down that route can make suggestions. If you're a member of a club, i would first suggest a chat with your club pro. Again, they're not all equal, and just cause they're a pro doesn't mean they're great at teaching, and everything to do with golf. But as a good place to start getting advice, it's a solid start.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,960 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Aph2016 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Get a lesson.

Note that being tall doesnt automatically mean you need non standard length/lie, it greatly depends on arm and leg length.

Put your details into this for a rough guide

https://nflightweb.ping.com/#ready

Advertisement