Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poster street cred

• 27-07-2020 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,385 ✭✭✭✭

I know there was a discussion on the previously but Benimar made a comment yesterday that it was his fourth season in row inside the top 10k (that might not be it exactly) and it made me stop and think that because he’s not an awfully prolific poster I probably never gave his posts as much weight as I would have if I knew that.
    Equally a guy who posts on here a lot and I probably would have take heed of said he finished 80k or some such, his highest finish ever.

Obviously we’re all equal but some are more equal than others!

I’m proposing a thread, hopefully a sticky, that gives a table of posters and their stats. Years playing, highest finish, top 1k, top 5k, top 10k, top 20k finishes. Posting your details would be optional obviously

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,598 ✭✭✭✭CSF

This is going to be controversial!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,385 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

CSF wrote: »
    This is going to be controversial!!!

What’s ur thoughts on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Well I mean for starters where would be transparency be?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

I like it. There's definitely some posters opinions I lean towards.

Klopp CSF KM are standouts off the top of my head and yourself G&R. Definitely some more posters with great finishes that I'm not including like SlickRic & Eltel both I think finished top 300 or so the last 2 years.(Don't mention Slick's OR this year :pac:)

Don't see any harm in having a sticky table of regular posters OR and finishes(Assuming they want to be included)

2016/2017 // 67953 // 2200
    2017/2018 // 148148 // 2190
    2018/2019 // 79506 // 2283
    2019/2020 // 82772 // 2276

I definitely prioritize Mini League over OR at the end of the season. Personally OR doesn't bother me too much when it comes to crunch time:) That 148148K irks me because would be consistently top 100K otherwise :pac:

Edit: To add it may be useful to have the team people support also which could indicate more insight. I only recently learned CSF is a Villa fan and as somebody who doesn't know much about them I would have looked for his opinion more.

Definitely think it will be helpful with the promoted teams. Leeds being the main one.

Pogue eile wrote: »
    Well I mean for starters where would be transparency be?

The posters don't have to look at the stickied thread. It would be an additional option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

The posters don't have to look at the stickied thread. It would be an additional option.

Sorry, transparency was not the correct choice of word!

What I mean is any poster can claim to have finished in the top whatever, there is no way to validate it. Spoofers spoof!

Pogue eile wrote: »
    Sorry, transparency was not the correct choice of word!

What I mean is any poster can claim to have finished in the top whatever, there is no way to validate it. Spoofers spoof!

Ah I get you. I suppose screenshots can be provided if necessarily but generally I would take the regular's word. I don't see why they would lie other than an internal ego boost and cheating themselves.

In saying that, I've nothing to worry about. I've won it the past 8 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭COH

I don'y know how I feel about this tbh... doesn't effect me either way I think if you post/frequent this forum often enough you'll have a good idea of what advice carries weight regardless.

Will it dilute the contributions of those who might feel 'unworthy' of offering advice/commenting because of their rank/history?

Will the 'higher ups' want the pressure of having their comments weighted (and to a certain degree team selection copied... it is a game after all)

COH wrote: »
    I don'y know how I feel about this tbh... doesn't effect me either way I think if you post/frequent this forum often enough you'll have a good idea of what advice carries weight regardless.
    Agree wit this I've a pretty strong idea who is regular and who gets top finishes etc. But there are some posters who pop up now and again who I think had great scores previously but I can never recall.
    Will it dilute the contributions of those who might feel 'unworthy' of offering advice/commenting because of their rank/history?

Will the 'higher ups' want the pressure of having their comments weighted (and to a certain degree team selection copied... it is a game after all)
    Personally It wouldn't dilute my posting contribution. As for the last point it's optional to provide the information I guess so if they don't want to feel that 'pressure' by all means don't opt in I guess. It wouldn't change my opinion on the poster or anything.

I'm just thinking in terms of easiness.

Green&Red wrote: »
    What’s ur thoughts on it?

I get the logic, but I don’t really agree. There’s a couple of people who I listen to with a lot of gravitas on here, and the only one I know how they’re doing in terms of OR is klopparama because we’ve been having the same rants about the unlimited transfers upon the COVID restart.

For me, I’m only ever going to use what someone says as a different way of thinking about something, rather than putting my faith in their regular high scores.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

I've got a top 1k and a couple of other top 10ks and one narrow miss and no way anyone should take my advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Dearg81

jimmii wrote: »
    I've got a top 1k and a couple of other top 10ks and one narrow miss and no way anyone should take my advice!

I'd agree with Jimmii, I've probably averaged 10k rank for the past 8 or 9 years but I don't even like own advice to myself anymore :-)

Dearg81 wrote: »
    I'd agree with Jimmii, I've probably averaged 10k rank for the past 8 or 9 years but I don't even like own advice to myself anymore :-)

Just had a look at your history, you are the perfect example of what I'm talking about

There was my thinking you were just some regular clem, finishing on 10,882 this year

Previous ORs 25; 245; 1578; 3054; 9529, 10854

You did let yourself down in a couple of seasons - only 14k, 17k, 28k, 39k, 64k and 81k

Just had a look at your history, you are the perfect example of what I'm talking about

There was my thinking you were just some regular clem, finishing on 10,882 this year

Previous ORs 25; 245; 1578; 3054; 9529, 10854

You did let yourself down in a couple of seasons - only 14k, 17k, 28k, 39k, 64k and 81k

Some finishing that!

Yeh I definitely wouldn't want your advice Jimmii :pac:

Some finishing that!

That was Dearg's stat I threw up

That was Dearg's stat I threw up

No idea what you're talking about :pac:

Edited now!

So does that make me an irregular Clem?

I was posting mainly on Sky game this season, I lost interest in FPL once I started losing to you!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Benimar

In order of best to worst in last 12 years:

955, 1355, 1675, 5453, 6418, 8127, 9985, 14119, 17757, 57397, 69359 and 77577

I can be reluctant to give advice as I have a particular style (conservative) that doesn’t suit everyone, and I make some really bad mistakes at times because of it. Like others, I have to talk myself into my own advice at times!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

I've actually finished at 5k and have 3 other top 16k finishes but don't think anyone would trust my advice :pac:

Been thinking I might try and take it more seriously again next season, enjoyed the run in and got a lot of silly punts out of my system!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Benimar wrote: »
    In order of best to worst in last 12 years:

955, 1355, 1675, 5453, 6418, 8127, 9985, 14119, 17757, 57397, 69359 and 77577

I can be reluctant to give advice as I have a particular style (conservative) that doesn’t suit everyone, and I make some really bad mistakes at times because of it. Like others, I have to talk myself into my own advice at times!

That's incredibly impressive. As is Dearg's. Amazing consistency. There's another team that has a stellar record, not sure of the poster though - Schmohawks is the team name.

But these are the types of records that I imagine put you in the top 50 or 100 all time managers? Certainly must be the top managers in Ireland I would guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

09/10 8k doesnt show up on my history I must have used a different email
    10/11 - 50,640
    11/12- 1,117
    12/13 - 5,534
    13/14 - 11,689
    14/15 - 1,649
    15/16 - 4,068
    16/17 - 46,872
    17/18 - 70,492
    18/19 - 71,690
    19/20 - 16,745
    I decided to cut down on my posting here and I entered less paid leagues this year. As I felt over the previous few years I was starting to worry too much about players that other people had rather than playing my own game and it was impacting my decision making.

Morzadec wrote: »
    That's incredibly impressive. As is Dearg's. Amazing consistency. There's another team that has a stellar record, not sure of the poster though - Schmohawks is the team name.

But these are the types of records that I imagine put you in the top 50 or 100 all time managers? Certainly must be the top managers in Ireland I would guess.

Yea I'm top in Ireland and was 9th in the world but Schmohawks will probably take top spot after the past month. He passed me out in a few leagues.

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭Markx

Morzadec wrote: »

I am the Schmohawk :)

I know the guys & gals on here who are good managers without seeing their records because of the content of their posts. It's nice to see who's who on a list like FFS or PremierFantasyTools but here I wouldn't see the point outside of a matter of interest. If it became a point of reference for rating the relevance or merit of an opinion I'd be against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭lassykk

I must admit I haven't been following this forum at all this year but was close to catching up in a league I was 150+ behind pre lock-down so I checked in here and was relieved to see some regular posters as I knew their posts would be solid. I had no idea that some of the less frequent posters had such amazing histories.

I actually usually look out for Benimar as I know him personally and know his advice will be solid!

I used to take this game super seriously but I found it was taking up too much time and bothering me too much when Burnley concede (like this weekend)

When I was taking it seriously I did OK for a few years but nothing like some of the ORs in here:

Season Points Rank
    2006/07 1027 1059032
    2007/08 2099 58109
    2008/09 2006 19919
    2009/10 2202 74403
    2010/11 1832 511337
    2011/12 2218 3307
    2012/13 2194 14246
    2013/14 2259 147898
    2014/15 2262 2272
    2015/16 2315 1712
    2016/17 2369 2084
    2017/18 2128 354686
    2018/19 2274 91463

This year I climbed from 1.3m OR pre lockdown to just inside top 200k! I had more time on my hands with the lockdown to think about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭Markx

LassyKK - that 3 year streak is as good as you will see anywhere from anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

There was a time where we put our team IDs in our signatures so people could check themselves, but it fell out of fashion. I wouldn't be too bothered to look, though. I'd weigh up any advice on the reasoning offered more than the players' record.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,990 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

4 top 25k finishes in the last 9 years for me. Best was 5k but the last two years have been a disaster and around 600k this season was my worst ever

6 of my last 8 finishes have been top 27k finishes (look at me placing the goalposts exactly where I want them) and I haven’t finished outside the top 116k since 10/11.

So i guess you could say I’m consistent enough but I’ve only ever had 1 top 5k finish and I’ve never been in the top 1k, so I may not be the man to advise you towards the number 1 spot next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

I think if you are round here for long enough, you get a good feel for who has the pedigree.

I'd imagine anyone who is regular enough to be a name you recognise in here would be in the top 1-2% of players.

I know Reddit has flairs you can set for top 1k and top 10k which they verify, but I don't think we don't need to go down that route really as we're a much smaller community. I do have a couple of posters that I would pay extra heed to what they have to say, but I do try to follow my own nose at the end of the day, despite where it often leads me :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭claw

ScummyMan wrote: »
    I think if you are round here for long enough, you get a good feel for who has the pedigree.

I'd imagine anyone who is regular enough to be a name you recognise in here would be in the top 1-2% of players.

I know Reddit has flairs you can set for top 1k and top 10k which they verify, but I don't think we don't need to go down that route really as we're a much smaller community. I do have a couple of posters that I would pay extra heed to what they have to say, but I do try to follow my own nose at the end of the day, despite where it often leads me :D

I agree with ScummyMan, I had a top 3k season, and a top 10k season with a different e-mail address. There are some very good posters here who are consistent and have no agenda, who I would pay attention to regardless of ranking. The forum is excellent as it is for advice without paying attention to average ranking positions. At the end of the day, it is only advice and it is up to the player to do what he/she wants to do with it.

Advertisement