Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What Mattress to buy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭stockshares

Has anyone had any problems at all with the Emma Mattress. I'm looking for a Mattress but am wary of foam mattresses due to night sweats.

I have Eczema and night sweats are excruciating so definitely want to avoid those.

I've been on their website and they have a great offer atm with 40% off but I dont want to go to the hassle of ordering and then returning it if it causes night sweats.

Thanks in advance for any advice offered.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Has anyone had any problems at all with the Emma Mattress. I'm looking for a Mattress but am wary of foam mattresses due to night sweats.

I have Eczema and night sweats are excruciating so definitely want to avoid those.

I've been on their website and they have a great offer atm with 40% off but I dont want to go to the hassle of ordering and then returning it if it causes night sweats.

Thanks in advance for any advice offered.

No we have had no problems at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

Can recommend the IKEA HAMARVIK highly in the firm version, only €179 for a king and I can't fault it.
    It's pocket sprung with a foam top layer & the cover zips off.

Millem wrote: »
    No we have had no problems at all.

That's good to know, thanks for getting back to me.

Regarding returns:
    Do you happen to know how can they can resell a mattress that's been returned?
    air wrote: »
    Can recommend the IKEA HAMARVIK highly in the firm version, only €179 for a king and I can't fault it.
    It's pocket sprung with a foam top layer & the cover zips off.

Great stuff, I'll check this out now. It's more in my price range and allows me to spend more on Anti Allergy Bedding.

That's good to know, thanks for getting back to me.

Regarding returns:

I don’t know anything about reselling.

• Advertisement

Millem wrote: »
    I don’t know anything about reselling.

Looked into the Ikea Harmarvik recommended above and reviews say it's very firm so that's not suitable. Ill enquire about the Emma later and I'll post back here with the reply.

Looked into the Ikea Harmarvik recommended above and reviews say it's very firm.

They have a medium version as well!

Regarding returns:

They have an outlet store on eBay where they resell them.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭spuddy

What one person thinks is a good mattress is really subjective. People have different needs, sleep in different ways etc. We had to buy one recently, and I subscribed to Which as they do independent testing, to try to tell the wood from the trees.

Bang for buck, it's hard to beat IKEA, they may not get the top gong in every category, but they come very close and often far, far cheaper than other brands. We went for the HOVAG, a pocket sprung mattress and were not disappointed.

Good luck with your search

They have a medium version as well!
    I should have noticed that. Do you know if it has Allergy protection? There's no mention of it in the specs.

I've been looking for Anti Allergy bed clothes also but Ikea don't seem to have any. I would normally get bedding from Argos because they have stock that's certified by Allergy.uk but they are not doing online orders atm. Can you recommend anywhere for bedding?
    They have an outlet store on eBay where they resell them.
    How this work given Covid. I had presumed that users Mattresses can't be resold anyway but it seems risky now. How can anyone guarantee that the mattress they have bought isn't a used one?
    spuddy wrote: »
    What one person thinks is a good mattress is really subjective. People have different needs, sleep in different ways etc. We had to buy one recently, and I subscribed to Which as they do independent testing, to try to tell the wood from the trees.

Bang for buck, it's hard to beat IKEA, they may not get the top gong in every category, but they come very close and often far, far cheaper than other brands. We went for the HOVAG, a pocket sprung mattress and were not disappointed.

Good luck with your search
    I do like IKEA but have never bought beds or mattresses from them before. It was mostly Office furniture which was really good quality

Edit:
    The Hovag gets a great write up below. Apparently it's the choice for B+Bs etc.
    https://www.realhomes.com/news/ikea-hovag-mattress-trounces-rivals-that-are-10-times-the-price-on-comfort-levels

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

If you like a firm mattress, take a look at the Sleepeve. We got this 2 years ago and it's fantastic. It's so good we decided to buy the pillows a few months ago also - don't regret it!

There's usually some kind of deal or coupon code you can find online to reduce the advertised price (€849 for a king bed).

https://evesleep.ie/products/the-original-mattress?variant=31390767906871

The Hovag is a Hamarvik with some extra foam on the sides and a small bit more on top I think.
    I've slept on a medium one of them that had gone a bit lopsided after a few years.
    I don't think IKEA ones are amazing for long term durability and both the Hovag & Hamarvik are single sided.
    Having said that you probably should be changing a mattress after 5/6 years anyway.
    One of those rare circumstances where buying twice makes sense perhaps?

I've no idea on the allergy side but the cover is removable on the Hovag / Hamarvik, it zips off.
    The label says it's not washable but I've done it & it suffered no ill effects, your mileage may vary however!

The Hovag is a Hamarvik with some extra foam on the sides and a small bit more on top I think.
    I've slept on a medium one of them that had gone a bit lopsided after a few years.
    I don't think IKEA ones are amazing for long term durability and both the Hovag & Hamarvik are single sided.
    Having said that you probably should be changing a mattress after 5/6 years anyway.

I've no idea on the allergy side but the cover is removable on the Hovag / Hamarvik, it zips off.
    The label says it's not washable but I've done it & it suffered no ill effects, your mileage may vary however!

I've read that its not washable so thats a drawback.

My bed frame is Metal with slats like this one
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NB1UCCQ?ascsubtag=

Can the Hovag Sprung mattress lie on this without getting damaged?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

The Hamarvik is not a pocket sprung mattress. It has Bonell spring units, which are quite a different thing.

The Hovag is pocket sprung.

The Bonell is less expensive to make. It is an older technology. Some people may well prefer the Bonell.

The Hovag is a fine mattress in my experience.

I've read that its not washable so thats a drawback.

My bed frame is Metal with slats like this one
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NB1UCCQ?ascsubtag=

Can the Hovag Sprung mattress lie on this without getting damaged?
    Like I said I washed mine & it came our absolutely perfectly.
    Not many matress covers even come off i would have thought.
    Yes the Hovag will work fine on a slatted base, I think almost all Ikea beds are slatted.

Thanks for the spring lesson Antoin.
    I certainly prefer my Hamarvik to the Hovag but it's probably just down to the firmness of the Hamarvik (& possibly the age of the Hovag).

I was planning on splashing out for a high end one myself like the OP but won't bother now I have the Hamarvik.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

So in the market for a king size mattress, first time ever buying a mattress and I really have no clue what I am looking for. Has anyone any advice? I would say the budget is €400 max. Half looking at some of the IKEA ones after seeing some of you recommend the Hovag mattress from them. What is the main difference between a roll out mattress (Hovag/Hamarvik) and a non-roll out one? (Hyllestad and some of the more expensive ones).

Was very close to going for an Emma Mattress but after reading a thread/article on here from a while ago I don't think I will and maybe going for a sprung/pocket sprung mattress would be best (but again, what is the difference between the two?).

Any help or advice is appreciated if anyone can share their experiences!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

So in the market for a king size mattress, first time ever buying a mattress and I really have no clue what I am looking for. Has anyone any advice? I would say the budget is €400 max. Half looking at some of the IKEA ones after seeing some of you recommend the Hovag mattress from them. What is the main difference between a roll out mattress (Hovag/Hamarvik) and a non-roll out one? (Hyllestad and some of the more expensive ones).

Was very close to going for an Emma Mattress but after reading a thread/article on here from a while ago I don't think I will and maybe going for a sprung/pocket sprung mattress would be best (but again, what is the difference between the two?).

Any help or advice is appreciated if anyone can share their experiences!

The basic difference is the increased proportion of natural materials. These cost more and I suppose they don’t compact/expand well.

The benefit seems to be that natural materials feel cooler to the skin than the less expensive synthetic materials.

I couldn't find any info on whether the Ikeas had Anti Allergy treatment so I contacted allergyuk.org and they said they recommended the two companies below:
    Silentnight
    Sealy

I contacted Silentnight and their customer service is superb. The Eco range was recommended to me and the Eco comfort specifically for me.

The Eco Comfort is not available from most retailers here but is from Argos. The Eco Comfort is called Walton on the Argos site but specs are identical. This model got a Which?.uk award twice. It was too expensive for me so I asked for other recommendations. See below.

I went with the Memory foam as a trial and I can change it to another model within 100 days. The Memory foam Aldo has a Which?.UK award.

When it arrives I'll review it here.

Eco Range
    https://www.silentnight.co.uk/mattresses/eco-comfort-collection/

Eco comfort pocket 1200
    https://www.silentnight.co.uk/all-mattresses/silentnight-eco-comfort-pocket-1200-mattress.html

Argos Silentnight Models:
    Walton
    https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4556000/Trail/searchtext%3EWalton.htm?desktopSiteActive=true

Middleton 800 pocket comfort
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/2792385/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CHome+and+furniture%7C14417894/c_2/3%7C19536165%7CMattresses%7C14418237/c_3/4%7Ccat_14418237%7CDouble+mattresses%7C14418238.htm

Middleton 800 pocket Memory
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4829548/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CHome+and+furniture%7C14417894/c_2/3%7C19536165%7CMattresses%7C14418237/c_3/4%7Ccat_14418237%7CDouble+mattresses%7C14418238.htm

Memory Foam Rolled Double Mattress
    https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5435577/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CHome+and+furniture%7C14417894/c_2/3%7C19536165%7CMattresses%7C14418237/c_3/4%7Ccat_14418237%7CDouble+mattresses%7C14418238.htm

For those who suffer from Allergies/Eczema/Asthma etc there is another UK company who sell mattresses called Dormeo and they have an Irish website Dormeo.ie.

They have Aloe Vera and Silver ranges that are anti allergy. They don't have certification from AllergyUk but might be worth considering.

If anyone has managed to find out if Ikeas range is Anti Allergy please let me know. Thanks to all who've helped out, it's really appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Heighway61

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    Bought the girlfriend an Inofia mattress off Amazon, its killer. Delivery is prompt.
    Thinking of going with this from Amazon, on price and your recommendation. Is your opinion (or your girlfriend's) still positive after six months?

Does anyone have any codes (more than 30% off) for an emma mattress? Thanks

• Advertisement

Ended up getting this memory foam mattress from Argos but I am returning it as it is too hot to sleep on.
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5435577/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CHome%2Band%2Bfurniture%7C14417894/c_2/3%7Ccat_19536165%7CMattresses%7C14418237.htm

I'm replacing it after 2 months with this one 800 pocket sprung one.
    https://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10152&catalogId=15051&langId=111&searchTerms=2792385&authToken=-1002%252CTb6zd56kFOpztp1WPmC9rktuDxQ%253D

I was using a Silentnight Polyester Mattress Protector on the Memory foam mattress above and between them it was very uncomfortable to sleep on because they caused a lot of sweating.

Can anyone recommend a Mattress Protector for the new mattress that both Cools the body and protects against dust mites?. I'd really appreciate some help with this as the sweating got so bad it prevented me from sleeping.

Also can anyone advise as to whether a separate mattress protector is necessary at all for new mattresses if they come already encased?

The reason I'm asking is that the memory foam mattress above came encased in a knit type material. It did not look like a typical mattress protector and might have been just to protect against contact with the actual foam itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭regedit

We have always slept in firm mattresses. We had a king size Sealy one for close to 10 years and it was phenomenal.
    Fast forward, moved into a new house and decided to go for a king size bed. Got the frame in Eazy Living and it is poor enough quality. Then, we got a King Koil Extended Life (Forte) which seems a very well built mattress. The same had a latex topper which made sleeping horrible as we were sweating regardless of the outside temperature. Attempts to add towels et were unsuccessful and we eventually removed the topper. Again, we no longer sweat but we just find we are not sleeping as well as were were before so, will end up removing the KK Extended Life and go for something else. As someone pointed out, we all have different experiences on same mattresses. Will likely try the Ikea Vanteström

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭SATSUMA

I bought an Emma, the worst mattress I've come across. If you are any way hot avoid like the plague. Its so warm at night it feels like I've got an electric blanket on. I just can't stand the foam. The pillow is awful too. I got a pretty severe stiff neck from it, 3 days of deep heat and its still there. Haven't had a good night since I put it on. Obviously, mattresses are very subjective. One star from me.

Just bought a respa pocket spring, can't wait for it to arrive and get this thing off!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,020 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Jaysus!
    I was about to bite the bullet and order an emma but I’m a hot sleeper and I’ve read a few horror stories on here about it.
    The 200 day trial seems good but has anyone had to send an emma mattress back and got their money back?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,076 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

tom1ie wrote: »
    Jaysus!
    I was about to bite the bullet and order an emma but I’m a hot sleeper and I’ve read a few horror stories on here about it.
    The 200 day trial seems good but has anyone had to send an emma mattress back and got their money back?

Don't think i've been hot in it once, using an emma with a baavet. Old matress from casesy it was nearly a nightly occurrence.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Jaysus!

If you're a hot sleeper then it doesn't make sense to order a foam mattress knowing it's an issue. I'm sure plenty of companies offer a trial. I know IKEA offer a trial period. Get yourself a quality spring mattress.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Jaysus!

Someone told me that when they contacted Emma about getting their money back they were told to donate the mattress to charity, get a receipt, send it in, and then they were to get a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Jaysus!

I HATED my Emma. I can't understand the positive reviews. Bought it three months ago, slept two miserable nights on it and said never again. It was finally collected this morning.

The returns process is not quibble free. I say avoid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,076 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I HATED my Emma. I can't understand the positive reviews. Bought it three months ago, slept two miserable nights on it and said never again. It was finally collected this morning.

The returns process is not quibble free. I say avoid.

There's no way you could have got used to it in 2 nights, my other half halted it at the start refused to sleep in it, now swears by it. Takes a while to get used to it.

Advertisement