Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Commuting from Maynooth

• 26-07-2020 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hello all,

New to boards, apologies if I have posted this in the incorrect area.

Myself and my wife are currently house hunting (first time buyers). We have been quite disappointed by what's available within our budget in Dublin.

However, after some trips to Maynooth it ticks a lot of boxes for us.

There are some nice looking new estates currently being built and they are very close to the village and train - Mariavilla and Lyreen Lodge.

Whilst doing some research the main issue that appears to crop up is traffic, I appreciate this issue isn't exclusive to Maynooth and will be encountered in all areas in one form or another.

I am curious to hear from anyone who resides that side of the village as to how long it takes them to reach Dublin City Centre (say Stephen's Green) for 9am by car. Would it be reasonable to assume you'd need to be on the road about 6.30 to make it in for that time? Based on pre covid traffic.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, G

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,725 ✭✭✭SeanW

6:30 is probably about right, but would you consider train+luas? Not sure what it's like with capacity restrictions due to Covid-19 but once that ends, you can get the train from Maynooth to Broombridge and Luas from there South to Stephens Green.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yeah, not sure why you'd consider moving to maynooth and then consider the car as the best means of getting into dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭unhappys10

SeanW wrote: »
    6:30 is probably about right, but would you consider train+luas? Not sure what it's like with capacity restrictions due to Covid-19 but once that ends, you can get the train from Maynooth to Broombridge and Luas from there South to Stephens Green.

6.30 is far from about right. 7.30 would be more like it.

I used to commute Ballinasloe to Stephens Green, I left at 6.30 and was in the office at 8.30 driving all the way.
    It was an hour for me from Ballinasloe to Maynooth so another hour from there to Stephens Green.

7.30 pre covid would have you comfortably in an office in Stephens Green by 9am.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

unhappys10 wrote: »
    7.30 pre covid would have you comfortably in an office in Stephens Green by 9am.
    how many employers in that area offer free staff parking? maybe the OP will be able to avail of it, but if that cost has to also be factored in, it will add thousands to the cost of the commute; at even say €15 per day it would be over €3k per year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭unhappys10

how many employers in that area offer free staff parking? maybe the OP will be able to avail of it, but if that cost has to also be factored in, it will add thousands to the cost of the commute; at even say €15 per day it would be over €3k per year.

They asked about timing and traffic and I answered.
    Cost is up to them but no one in their right mind would fork out for that with public transport (as crap as it is) and tax saver tickets available.

• Advertisement

unhappys10 wrote: »
    They asked about timing and traffic and I answered.
    oh, the answer wasn't directed at you, it was just a handy hook to hang the point on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I can't answer about driving times but after growing up in North Kildare I can confirm Maynooth's pre-covid traffic is a huge problem and is definitely significantly worse than surrounding towns and will only worsen as they continue to build. Maynooth often has tailbacks going past the Tesco on weekends also. The traffic makes the busses very erratic and difficult to predict, if you were considering them as an option they would be in the timeframe of 1hr-1hr 20 usually..in the mornings it's convenient to be going the opposite direction to the student commute. The train would be quicker and fairly definite of a seat as it is the start of the line.

I thought there was advancement of the ring road plan finally for Maynooth though, look into that as it could have a major impact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

We considered maynooth and rejected it. Based on price, college and the horrendous traffic in and around the town itself

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

7:30 was between tight and implausible for 9 in February. It will take some time to get to those levels again; but it will. It varies heavily day by day; Thursday is actually the worst normally with Friday and Tuesday being the best - inbound that is; Friday is and always will be the worst outbound.

For your own sanity, don't drive from Maynooth to the city centre. I occasionally have had to for years. I've had to full-time since Lockdown happened and I'm finally getting to stop after tomorrow, although occasional events will still happen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

Hello all,

New to boards, apologies if I have posted this in the incorrect area.

Myself and my wife are currently house hunting (first time buyers). We have been quite disappointed by what's available within our budget in Dublin.

There are some nice looking new estates currently being built and they are very close to the village and train - Mariavilla and Lyreen Lodge.

Whilst doing some research the main issue that appears to crop up is traffic, I appreciate this issue isn't exclusive to Maynooth and will be encountered in all areas in one form or another.

I am curious to hear from anyone who resides that side of the village as to how long it takes them to reach Dublin City Centre (say Stephen's Green) for 9am by car. Would it be reasonable to assume you'd need to be on the road about 6.30 to make it in for that time? Based on pre covid traffic.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, G

I commute from enfield to Dublin city (along the quays), generally post covid I leave about 7.30ish and I’m parked around 8.15ish, I park in free parking spots near work, it would take me at least another 30/40mins to get to Stephens green if I needed to.

Pre covid I would try to leave 7/7.30 and would get into work around 8.30ish, traffic at the moment is a bit lighter, but it seems to have taken the majority of bad drivers off the road.

If you do make the move, best of luck with it.

Alternative transports would be bus or train, if you don’t have free parking ..... it’s €3.20 per hour in Dublin city Centre .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I commute from enfield to Dublin city (along the quays), generally post covid I leave about 7.30ish and I’m parked around 8.15ish, I park in free parking spots near work, it would take me at least another 30/40mins to get to Stephens green if I needed to.

Pre covid I would try to leave 7/7.30 and would get into work around 8.30ish, traffic at the moment is a bit lighter, but it seems to have taken the majority of bad drivers off the road.

Your timings here imply its got worse since COVID... do you mean you left at 6:30 or got in at 9:15?

The quays are slower now than they were pre-March due to the changes to light timings, anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

L1011 wrote: »
    Your timings here imply its got worse since COVID... do you mean you left at 6:30 or got in at 9:15?

The quays are slower now than they were pre-March due to the changes to light timings, anyway.

I don’t travel to Stephens green, just to the quays (not far from heuston)

At the moment it takes a maximum of 45mins, previously it would have taken an hour to 1hr 15mins.

Your original post gives a 45min to 1h15 time for the pre covid timing though

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Did the Maynooth to city commute a few years back only for a few months during winter. Was on a motorbike and it took approx 45 minutes from Maynooth main street to Dame Street in town. Thats mainly because you can use the bus lanes so when all the cars jam up from St.Johns Road next to Hueston right down the quays you can fly by all the traffic. Same with Maynooth main street, you could filter past all the traffic and get to the top of the traffic lights and be gone out of town pretty quick on a motorbike. My memories of Maynooth were lots of traffic on the main street, when it snarles up it gets really bad and it might take you 10 minutes just to move a few hundred metres. It just cant handle the volumes trying to go through there. That said its a lovely town and I enjoyed living there even if it was only for a few months when between houses.

I dont think I would fancy doing the commute from Maynooth to town by car, I would imagine it would take about 1hr 15mins or maybe more on rainy days . Its a long grind with lots of bumper to bumper traffic in the mornings and evenings.

I think the train is a good option. You'll get a seat which makes it much easier. From Hueston you could grab a Dublin bike and be up in Stephens Green in about 12 minutes or so. Or else buy a cheap bike of your own and store it in Hueston because Dublin Bike stations can get cleared out of bikes pretty quick. If it was a really rainy day you could get the Luas to Abbey St and then change for the Green though that would likely take about 25 minutes or so.

...the Maynooth train goes to Connolly

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭myNewName

The drive in wouldn’t be too bad, the drive home, especially on a Friday, evening would be torture.

L1011 wrote: »
    ...the Maynooth train goes to Connolly

oh right yeah, had forgotten, have only ever been on it a couple of times and that was when drunk after Friday pints :pac: Connolly is probably even better for the OP to get to Stephens Green than Hueston is. Would think Connolly to SSG would be a about a 15 minute walk or so. Luas also an option if it was really lashing down though that would be pretty slow moving and the change of trams too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,725 ✭✭✭SeanW

The Green Line extension to Broombridge changes things. Now you can get the train to Broombridge, change for the Luas towards Stephen's Green. The Maynooth line, like every other form of train or tram into Dublin in the peak, is insanely overcrowded, but the good thing about living at the start of the line is that you're the first on the train and thus almost certain to get a seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

We have been quite disappointed by what's available within our budget in Dublin.

Due to the student population, houses in Maynooth may be more costly than elsewhere.

=-=

I currently go by 66X bus from Leixlip to the Trinity LUAS stop and then onwards to the Harcourt stop.

Before COVID, however, I went by Maynooth-Connolly train to Broombridge, and then onwards to Harcourt by LUAS.

Do any of the maynooth trains continue on to pearse?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,956 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Most do. Some terminate at Connolly but you can change onto a DART as well.

Getting a train from Maynooth to Pearse then would be a no brainer for someone working in Stephens Green.

But maybe the OP needs their car as part of their work and so has to drive into the city. If so even though the commute isnt a massive distance it is still a hard grind through lots of traffic. In the evenings it is not until the N4 turns into the motorway that traffic finally loosens up a bit and by then you are just a few kilometres short of Maynooth anyway.

Perhaps if just 20% of city commuters end up working from home then that would make things a good bit easier. But if it gets back to previous levels then its a tough daily car commute long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Galwayman2020

Thanks all, appreciate the insight. It's certainly given us food for thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Yes. Some even go all the way to Bray. Used to get a train from Leixlip to Blackrock for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

When working nights I leave leixlip at 7:20am and get to dublin12 for 8:05 by car. I'd say the city centre would be doable for 9 am from maynooth if leaving around 7:15- 7:30

I can do it by bike in 33 mins. Cycling from maynooth to the city centre in 24.9 kilometres. On a road bike that's doable in 45 mins if fit and 60-70 minutes if unfit

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Marlay

myNewName wrote: »
    The drive in wouldn’t be too bad, the drive home, especially on a Friday, evening would be torture.

I drive in from Celbridge. It is torture both ways. Coming from Maynooth would be worse in the mornings with the tailback on the M4 to reach junction 6, which is usually well past junction 7.

Any type of accident, rain, low sun will significantly add to delays as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Simna

How long would it normally take to drive to and back from Dublin for you as a commute?

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Marlay

Simna wrote: »
    How long would it normally take to drive to and back from Dublin for you as a commute?

For me? Part of the problem is you never know. But generally to College Green, probably 1h15-1h30. In summer with no schools, maybe 50min-1hr. Going home changes less, usually around an 1h if I leave before 5. This will change though with new restrictions. If they close off the Phoenix Park to through traffic the only option will be the Chapelizod Bypass and you could easily spend 25 minutes just getting past there.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭jonnybravo

Surely places like Clonsilla would be cheaper than Maynooth and an easier commute?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭shanec1928

myNewName wrote: »
    it would be torture. i used to go the opposite direction both in the mornings and the evenings. id smile and think thank f**k i dont have to sit in that, not to mention the near daily crashes inbound in the mornings come winter time.

Advertisement