Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Telling people to cop on since Covid-19 arrived?

• 26-07-2020 1:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭

So have you had to do this yet and what were the circumstances?

Was just in my local Tesco and queuing up for the self service check out. This lad joins queue behind me, was literally a couple of inches away, any closer and he was going to have to buy me dinner first.

I took a step forward to leave some distance between us and he takes a step to follow. I just turned around and said do you mind.
    He said nothing and took a step back. Fella in his early 30's, old enough and this is going on long enough for him to have more cop on.

Any similar experiences out there and how did people react?

Comments

No matter how strongly we might feel about the wearing of masks, mass congregations, and in supporting the Lockdown, I think there is a little voice somewhere in the back of the mind of most people, warning us that we fell into a regime of non-freedom with worrying ease and enthusiasm.

Obviously the Lockdown was necessary. Obviously masks are important to stem the rate of transmission.

But it's been a long time since human society was ordered to wear certain garments or stay under a form of house arrest, and I don't think society has fully come to terms with the consequences of that shift in mentality. A new frontier of acceptable limits on human organisation has been opened. In this case, it's mostly been necessary.

But we need to think about the new normal and what kind of people we might become.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,102 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

No matter how strongly we might feel about the wearing of masks, mass congregations, and in supporting the Lockdown, I think there is a little voice somewhere in the back of the mind of most people, warning us that we fell into a regime of non-freedom with worrying ease and enthusiasm.

Obviously the Lockdown was necessary. Obviously masks are important to stem the rate of transmission.

But it's been a long time since human society was ordered to wear certain garments or stay under a form of house arrest, and I don't think society has fully come to terms with the consequences of that shift in mentality. A new frontier of acceptable limits on human organisation has been opened. In this case, it's mostly been necessary.

But we need to think about the new normal and what kind of people we might become.

irrespective of covid, standing inches behind somebody in a queue is just poor and anybody who does it should be to F off immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,535 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

irrespective of covid, standing inches behind somebody in a queue is just poor and anybody who does it should be to F off immediately.

Exactly . Should not happen even before covid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Enough time in this new normal and he would have had points taken away from his social credit score.

Enough time in this new normal and he would have had points taken away from his social credit score.

i dont remember moving to china.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Tig98

It's a force of habit.

You know nothing about the lad besides that he stood directly behind you. He could have had 20 different things racing through his head at the time and he was just on autopilot.

I've no problem reminding someone about social distancing - at times I mess up myself too, but don't make it into anything more than it is. You asked him to step back and he did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭unhappys10

Tig98 wrote: »
    It's a force of habit.

You know nothing about the lad besides that he stood directly behind you. He could have had 20 different things racing through his head at the time and he was just on autopilot.

I've no problem reminding someone about social distancing - at times I mess up myself too, but don't make it into anything more than it is. You asked him to step back and he did.

I moved a step first and he followed. I'm not making it more than it is, even in normal times he was uncomfortably close. Maybe you like young lads close enough to feel their breath on the back of your neck, but not my thing.

immediately told to F-off?

This is exactly what I'm referring to. Covid restrictions seem to have enabled a latent kind of aggression, when it would be just as effective (far more effective) to say to someone "Oh look would you mind stepping back, I'm worried about Covid". People tend to react positively to polite reminders, screaming at someone to F-off is just going to make you look like a nut whom nobody should be talking notice of.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,277 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

It's a mistake I made myself in a queue yesterday, stood too close to the fella in front of me, although I was at least wearing my mask. Sometimes people just make mistakes OP, I don't think he was trying to infect you with Covid-19.

This is exactly what I'm referring to. Covid restrictions seem to have enabled a latent kind of aggression, when it would be just as effective (far more effective) to say to someone "Oh look would you mind stepping back, I'm worried about Covid". People tend to react positively to polite reminders, screaming at someone to F-off is just going to make you look like a nut whom nobody should be talking notice of.

if they are standing that close and they step forward to maintain that same distance if i step forward then i have no issue going straight to F off. they were given an opportunity to maintain a reasonable distance and didnt take it. people need to have more cop on.

• Advertisement

It's a mistake I made myself in a queue yesterday, stood too close to the fella in front of me, although I was at least wearing my mask. Sometimes people just make mistakes OP, I don't think he was trying to infect you with Covid-19.

Neither do I but a bit of common sense wouldn't go astray. As I said, even before covid, he was literally on top of me. This has been here almost 6 months now, too long to not know the story at this stage.
    Whatever about being too close but to follow me when I took a step forward, that's not on and people need to be told so.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

If he has covid and is breathing on someone, they have a chance of being infected for as long as they're in close proximity. I think raising your voice and startling them is perfectly fair if it gets them to f off quicker and maybe stops them from doing it to someone else.

It's been going on long enough that there's no excuse, letting it slide might be acceptable in normal times, but the cunt can find somebody else to rub up against and stay the hell away from me. Skin hunger is real. He could genuinely be lonely and want to be close to someone. Ugh.

Might make him think twice and pay attention next time too so it’s worth shouting at him.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Tig98

unhappys10 wrote: »
    Neither do I but a bit of common sense wouldn't go astray. As I said, even before covid, he was literally on top of me. This has been here almost 6 months now, too long to not know the story at this stage.
    Whatever about being too close but to follow me when I took a step forward, that's not on and people need to be told so.

He didn't follow you home into the sitting room though. From his point of view the queue was just progressing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭Onesea

Everyairline in the world will be history in 3months time. People Wil wake up eventually

• Registered Users Posts: 16,249 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Its the tossers who stand in the middle of the aisle with their shopping trolleys chatting to a neighbour and won't let the rest of us pass who annoy me, kinda hard to keep a 2 meter distance from those idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

Onesea wrote: »
    Everyairline in the world will be history in 3months time. People Wil wake up eventually

Don't worry, this will just speed up the development of personal hoverboards, and we'll all be free... free like birds, to soar above the clouds! :pac:

Tig98 wrote: »
    He didn't follow you home into the sitting room though. From his point of view the queue was just progressing.

Do you go around doing this also and that's why you are standing up for him?

There was me at the front of the queue and him behind me. The queue wasn't progressing.

I didn't shout and I asked him to move back AFTER he followed me to within a couple of inches again.

Unacceptable baheviour in normal times, I don't give a crap what's going on with someone else or what's on their minds.

I have a baby at home and a wife in a vulnerable group, so asking him to step back was very reasonable.

Seems you need a bit of cop on yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭Esse85

Its the tossers who stand in the middle of the aisle with their shopping trolleys chatting to a neighbour and won't let the rest of us pass who annoy me, kinda hard to keep a 2 meter distance from those idiots.

And the clowns taking phone calls in there with little regards to those around them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭normanoffside

s1ippy wrote: »
    If he has covid and is breathing on someone, they have a chance of being infected for as long as they're in close proximity. I think raising your voice and startling them is perfectly fair if it gets them to f off quicker and maybe stops them from doing it to someone else.

By turning around to face him, if he is breathing COVID then he will now be breathing it on to your mouth and nose rather than neck.
    Also by raising your voice and shouting at him you are actually putting him at risk.

• Advertisement

By turning around to face him, if he is breathing COVID then he will now be breathing it on to your mouth and nose rather than neck.
    Also by raising your voice and shouting at him you are actually putting him at risk.

What do you suggest then? Throw the elbow without looking around?

Some of you really have lost the run of yourselves altogether. People need to follow distancing guidelines and they need to be called out on it if they don’t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭I Am Nobody

I tend to command distance from folks.Who would want to stand close to the fat hairy biker?But yeah there are still alot of people not adhering to the safety rules.And by now they should know better.So don't be afraid to tell them to back the **** up!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

When you have a chance **** a few extra items in to their trolley. Its very embarassing at the checkout trying to explain why there are a few boxes of condoms in the trolley

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

It never bothered me before the virus and it doesn't do so now.

Some people just have too much energy*sigh*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

It’s the families out running around tescos that drive me nuts, when did the grocery shop become a social event, its seemed to get worse since covid, now instead of her or himself out shopping, the whole family have to come and show off their masks or non masked faces in most instances.
    No where else to go? Lets all go to tesco, even during the height of lockdown, there were both parents and two kids skipping through tesco’s on my first day venturing over.
    I 100% understand that single parents have to bring the
    kids, there are some instances where it’s just unavoidable, but there are a lot of families who just don’t get it.

gogo wrote: »
    It’s the families out running around tescos that drive me nuts, when did the grocery shop become a social event, its seemed to get worse since covid, now instead of her or himself out shopping, the whole family have to come and show off their masks or non masked faces in most instances.
    No where else to go? Lets all go to tesco, even during the height of lockdown, there were both parents and two kids skipping through tesco’s on my first day venturing over.
    kids, there are some instances where it’s just unavoidable, but there are a lot of families who just don’t get it.

It became a social event when peoples way of life became altered. Days out that would have occurred were no longer so in to the gap went a weekly shopping trip. I'm not saying it's ok but I am offering a possible explanation.

I went to Tesco in the height of lockdown so I could browse in their homeware and clothing section. It wasn't "right" but it helped me cope.

And to the poster who thinks putting boxes of condoms in a shopping trolley is embarrassing, really?? What is embarrassing about buying condos? Weird.

It became a social event when peoples way of life became altered. Days out that would have occurred were no longer so in to the gap went a weekly shopping trip. I'm not saying it's ok but I am offering a possible explanation.

I went to Tesco in the height of lockdown so I could browse in their homeware and clothing section. It wasn't "right" but it helped me cope.

And to the poster who thinks putting boxes of condoms in a shopping trolley is embarrassing, really?? What is embarrassing about buying condos? Weird.

People need to stop using “mental health” as a catch all excuse to do whatever they feel like, it’s becoming a dangerous habit. This virus is an actual serious real thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭I Am Nobody

gogo wrote: »

I was in Lidl earlier today,and there was a family of 8 and none of them wore masks.And were going on top of the other shoppers.And the Security guy standing there either oblivious or couldn't be arsed.

People need to stop using “mental health” as a catch all excuse to do whatever they feel like, it’s becoming a dangerous habit. This virus is an actual serious real thing.

Yes it is an actual serious real thing. That's a fact. It's a fact which can sit alongside many other facts and even feelings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Some people will never get it or want to get it. They live in a world where they and nobody else exists or matters.
    Guy pulled up beside me in the disabled parking bays in my local Lidl last night, no Blue Badge visible and you just knew he wasn't going to wear a mask or use the hand sanitiser and sure enough........... It would almost make you wish the virus on these people but then you realise that would only make you as bad as them.

Advertisement