Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2020 Executive Officer Civil Service

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭pjcpolly

i left that empty, didnt think we needed anything...maybe if you're a c/o and did courses .... its odd that it skips from section a to c...i might fire them off a email on monday morning

Supplementary info is quite important. This is where you reference to the competencies that they require. You should basically explain what you have done previously to demonstrate the competencies to show that you have some experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Divisadero

Hi Folks

Take note that this competition is specifically for D/PER - Depart of Public Expenditure and Reform. This is how it was advertised in the P/Job email alert : -

Executive Officer in the Civil Service 2020
    Employer: DPER
    View Job

Re D/PER - great place to work in at the moment because of what is going, the dynamics in Government and the possibility of good opportunities as well if you put the work in.

I suspect that it is a totally different panel to the current EO panel.

No this a general competition for all Depts/Offices. DPER are mentioned as they basically manage the Civil Service. PAS are running the competition on their behalf and you could be assigned to any office in you area/s of choice.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Hi Folks

Take note that this competition is specifically for D/PER - Depart of Public Expenditure and Reform. This is how it was advertised in the P/Job email alert : -

Executive Officer in the Civil Service 2020
    Employer: DPER
    View Job

Re D/PER - great place to work in at the moment because of what is going, the dynamics in Government and the possibility of good opportunities as well if you put the work in.

I suspect that it is a totally different panel to the current EO panel.

All the posts have to be sanctioned by DPER but you can be assigned to any department.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Jay328

pjcpolly wrote: »
    Supplementary info is quite important. This is where you reference to the competencies that they require. You should basically explain what you have done previously to demonstrate the competencies to show that you have some experience.

Yeah was thinking the Supplementary info section is where you talk about the competencies.

But started to think that it might be too early for that and that they will issue a longer form for the the competencies after short listing and online test.

Did everyone else reference back to competencies in this section ?

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Anonire

Jay328 wrote: »
    Yeah was thinking the Supplementary info section is where you talk about the competencies.

But started to think that it might be too early for that and that they will issue a longer form for the the competencies after short listing and online test.

I put a one liner in this box stating I have all the required competencies for the role.

I don't believe it's a place for writing any more than a few sentences. I think you are probably correct about a longer form at some stage to give our examples of the competencies.

Just to add, I would think this form is mostly for screening to see if you meet the minimum educational requirements for the role than anything else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭AngryLips

I used the section to state why I would be fit for the public sector, given that I applied from the private sector. Being fit for the role itself is visible from my tasks and duties specified in my career history.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭rostalof

chillmad wrote: »
    Be aware that if you are currently on an EO salary, that you may go back to the start of the scale by applying again through an Open competition.
    Are you eligible for mobility?

No you can't. You can't start on a lower point on the scale than the point you are currently on. I've done it and had it confirmed in writing from DPER beforehand that I couldn't start on a lower point of the scale than the one I was currently on. In the last department I was in, I had a colleague who was successful in three successive Open EO competitions. She used them as a means to get a job closer to home each time. She progressed through the salary scale as normal despite leaving her initial post and the one after that, as a result of an open competition. She and I, retained the pension years we accrued and our years of service for leave entitlements etc.

The link below outlines the fact that from the 30th of November 2015, staff entering the civil service from an analogous grade and pay-scale in the public service, can also expect to commence on their current point of scale.

https://hr.per.gov.ie/policy/requirement-policy/starting-pay-on-recruitment/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭McSween

How long does the initial application form take. Not near pc yet but Want to set aside time for this soon

Anonire wrote: »
    I put a one liner in this box stating I have all the required competencies for the role.

I don't believe it's a place for writing any more than a few sentences. I think you are probably correct about a longer form at some stage to give our examples of the competencies.

Just to add, I would think this form is mostly for screening to see if you meet the minimum educational requirements for the role than anything else.

So do you think you have to include your leaving cert results if you satisfy the educational requirements with level 7 or 8?

Dont even know where my leaving results are.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Dublintigger

Are you sure? I think it is an open Competition for any Department. Civil Service HR Division falls under DPER.

It was advertised as D/PER but I had forgotten that the CD HR Division falls under DPER - thanks for the clarification.

• Advertisement

All the posts have to be sanctioned by DPER but you can be assigned to any department.

Thank you for the clarification - :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Its too late now as ive already sent in my application, but how far back do you go back with your work history. I just went as far back as i have it on my cv (which is over the last 5 or so years)

Just a query and asking for clarification, if you have more that 24 months working in CS - as a TCO and as CO, can you still go for it if you clarify on all other points. I am in my current role as a CO for 17 months and I have over 12 months as TCO - went from a TCO straight in to CO without a break.

Also, can any one please clarify the difference between level 6 and 7? I always thought that 6 was advanced diploma and 7 was first year of a degree?

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭MFPM

Jay328 wrote: »

This is the only form you complete and it's this form they use if you get called for an interview - they expect you to illustrate the relevant competencies from your work history.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Just a query and asking for clarification, if you have more that 24 months working in CS - as a TCO and as CO, can you still go for it if you clarify on all other points. I am in my current role as a CO for 17 months and I have over 12 months as TCO - went from a TCO straight in to CO without a break.

Also, can any one please clarify the difference between level 6 and 7? I always thought that 6 was advanced diploma and 7 was first year of a degree?

Thank you.

Think level 7 is a completed ordinary 3 year degree. Level 8 is a 4 year or honours degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭LegallyAbroad

Thank you.

I don't think so, you weren't a permanent civil servant when you were a TCO, you were on a fixed contract. The clock starts ticking from when you became a permanent civil servant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭jaffa20

MFPM wrote: »
    This is the only form you complete and it's this form they use if you get called for an interview - they expect you to illustrate the relevant competencies from your work history.

It this really true? If you needed to illustrate the competencies under appendix 1 in this section, you would need to write an essay.

I just put a short paragraph summarising my skills and career to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Anonire

jaffa20 wrote: »
    It this really true? If you needed to illustrate the competencies under appendix 1 in this section, you would need to write an essay.

I just put a short paragraph summarising my skills and career to date.

These forms usually include a different section for competencies. With Section B missing I guess that is where the competencies would go. Either section B is missing in error or they aren't asking for competencies at this point as section A does not require you to go into the level of detail you would need to illustrate the competencies.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭November Golf

Thank you.

As long as you have your CO probation completed your TCO service should count however I would recommend you email PAS.

The eligibility requirements for this campaign is ridiculous
    - A full Level 6 award would get you into second or final year of most level 7 courses and yet PAS ask for a Level 7 and deem complete of first year as sufficient; not sure how they came to that conclusion.

Again if you have doubts about eligible, you should email PAS because its not a clean cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭November Golf

I don't think so, you weren't a permanent civil servant when you were a TCO, you were on a fixed contract. The clock starts ticking from when you became a permanent civil servant.

The requirement is "be serving as a Civil Servant with at least two years’ service"

TCO and CO are the same grade. I know there can be issues around probation in a new role but I don't see why the clock would restart when you become permanent. If your service is good enough for incremental pay it should be good enough for promotion.

EDIT: In the previous EO interdepartmental competition it stated:
    Where an officer was acting or serving on a Fixed-Term contract and was subsequently appointed in a substantive capacity, eligibility may be based on the aggregate service, e.g. six months in an acting capacity or on contract and eighteen months in a substantive capacity, can be aggregated to give two years’ service. For the purpose of deciding eligibility, officers must be serving on the closing date of < >.

Officers on probation are not eligible to compete except where they would have been eligible had they remained in their previous grade. Periods of special leave without pay should not be considered to break continuity of service for this purpose.

I would say it definitely worth sending an email for clarification.

https://assets.gov.ie/15997/0d0381911bac4a99af67834ce588c1b1.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭natc

I actually think the eligibility requirements for interdepartmental are ridiculous. Surely if you are serving x amount of years and can demonstrate that you have the relevant competencies that should be good enough. Relying on leaving cert just seems irrelevant. I think even for open competition its silly.

Many civil servants have plenty of experience now and can confidently demonstrate the required competencies so to think they could miss out on promotion because of a crappy exam from years ago is baffling!

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭336699

There is no Part B to the application form.

The 2019 EO and 2018 CO application forms didn’t have a Part B either.

In Section A, Employment Record, under the description of duties box, you should include duties that match the competencies.

If you are called for interview, this is the form the interviewers will have in front of them. They will basically work off the information you gave them as in “you worked for Company X, tell me how you...”. This is your opportunity to elaborate on your work experience to show them you have the required competencies.

You will not get another form to fill out to make the interviewers aware of your competencies.

Also, I would recommend that you do not leave the Supplementary Information section blank. Use it as an opportunity to sell yourself, sports, hobbies, volunteer work, something to mention in the interview, show that you have a personality!

Best of luck everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭TheDavester

pjcpolly wrote: »

oh perfect, that sounds good, i can pull the application off and re do it can i?

The compentencies are the ones on that circle/wheel thing in the info booklet isnt it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Might need to redo my application now too. I just copied and pasted quite a bit from my CV. Also, i found it strange that you need to put in gaps in employment. Unemployed doesn't look particularly appealing taking up a big gap if that's what they have in front of them for interviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Should you put in your salary for each job in the applicaton?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭TheDavester

no spot for it, i just gave job title and description of roles for it

Might need to redo my application now too. I just copied and pasted quite a bit from my CV. Also, i found it strange that you need to put in gaps in employment. Unemployed doesn't look particularly appealing taking up a big gap if that's what they have in front of them for interviews.

Yeah I dont get why you have to put gaps in employment either and I am a bit hesitant to put it down.

But I am going leave any small gaps of a couple months out like one between leaving and getting a new job.

I would recommend that you include all duties/tasks that match the required competencies for this role.

Regarding gaps in employment; fill in all your employment details. Then, in the Supplementary Information section, add in a line or two to explain any gaps in your employment history for example travel abroad, caring for a relative, lack of employment in your area etc...

There is no need to include your previous salary on the application form. The starting salary for this role is non negotiable.

Just remember that any information you provide on the application form can be queried in the interview. For example, if you indicate that you are currently earning €50,000 in the private sector, the interviewers may question why you are applying for a role with a lesser salary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭rsl1976

Does anyone know if the 2 years as a CO can be from previous service. I am just over 1 year at CO but was able to carry over local authority service for point on the salary scale.

Advertisement