Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Need to Change BMW I3

• 24-07-2020 7:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭

Hi I have a BMW I3 REX 162 reg fantastic car and with rex no range issues best fun car I have drove

I am now finding myself going on trips with Grandkids and carrying Bikes etc so I am afraid the I3 is a little small and as much as I love it I am probably going to change

I have not really kept up with the latest models can anyone recommend a PHEV that will cater for camping trips bikes etc

Thanks
    XL500

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,703 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV has 4WD, plenty of power and a bigger battery than most PHEV, also plenty of them available for very reasonable prices

2bf1dab7-2019-mitsubishi-outlander-phev-0.jpg

That said if you take more than 1 grand child along camping with bikes too, you will have to carry the bikes externally on a bike rack or something

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Zenith74

What's your budget, would the likes of the eNiro be an option for you? Decent bit of space and lots of range, unless you are going camping well off the beaten track?

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭xl500

Zenith74 wrote: »
    What's your budget, would the likes of the eNiro be an option for you? Decent bit of space and lots of range, unless you are going camping well off the beaten track?

E Niro the boot looks a bit small

Just some boot capacities for reference, the likes of the Niro and Leaf are much bigger than you'd think -

i3 - 260 litres
    Kona Electric - 334 litres
    Leaf - 435 litres
    eNiro - 451 litres
    Tuscon - 453 litres
    OutlanderPHEV - 463 litres
    LR Discovery - 1137 litres

Zenith74 wrote: »
    Just some boot capacities for reference, the likes of the Niro and Leaf are much bigger than you'd think -

i3 - 260 litres
    Kona Electric - 334 litres
    Leaf - 435 litres
    eNiro - 451 litres
    Tuscon - 453 litres
    OutlanderPHEV - 463 litres
    LR Discovery - 1137 litres

Niro phev boot 324 litres

• Advertisement

xl500 wrote: »
    Niro phev boot 324 litres

Didn’t even consider the Niro PHEV! Hardly worth buying when the full EV has such incredible range though?

Here's our Diesel Outlander boot, it's way larger than a leaf and way deeper you can stuff much more in.

This is the 7 seat version so the 5 seat might have even more room.

You will cry going from an i3 Rex to the Outlander, it's a good car the Outlander but it's like a boat and it's thirsty.

You'll cry putting Petrol in it too with it's 50 Km EV range on a good day in Summer, no heater etc. The diesel can't manage much more than 35 MPG IMP.

In fact, you'll cry going from an I3 to a lot of cars especially FWD EV.

qskWlPe.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

Same amount of room, battery takes up the space from the 2 seats,I get about 30 to 45 km on a charge and I get 40 mpg on a Dublin airport run of 320 km, some variants have an electric heater.

If I was buying new and loads of money I would get Mercedes-Benz GLE 350 de hybrid Coupe, https://www.completecar.ie/car-reviews/article/Mercedes-Benz/GLE/GLE_350_de_hybrid_Coupe_(2020)/1615/9654/2019-Mercedes-Benz-GLE-350-de-hybrid-Coupe-(2020)-review.html A 2.0-litre turbocharged four-cylinder diesel with 100kW electric motor and 31.2kWh battery that you can rapid charge.

I like the Outlander, it suits me, but I wish it has whats in the BMW i3 rex, larger battery and smaller engine.

Rex is a great idea really, even today I think it's great. If it could burn bio fuel it would be better, but the Government killed bio fuels over night by introducing ridiculous tax thinking they could make a fortune off it but it backfired, it simply killed Bio fuels in Ireland as soon as the tax was introduced.

Anyway, Mazda are to bring out a similar car but so far it hasn't arrived.

At this stage of the game Mitsubishi could put in a 30 Kwh battery and have a smaller turbo petrol until battery costs come down and energy density improves and have only the motor drive the wheels.

Here's our Diesel Outlander boot, it's way larger than a leaf and way deeper you can stuff much more in.

You will cry going from an i3 Rex to the Outlander, it's a good car the Outlander but it's like a boat and it's thirsty.

You'll cry putting Petrol in it too with it's 50 Km EV range on a good day in Summer, no heater etc. The diesel can't manage much more than 35 MPG IMP.

qskWlPe.jpg

Thanks for that I am really struggling to change the I3 as I absolutely love it but its just the size is the problem but I still might keep it

• Advertisement

qskWlPe.jpg

Thanks for that I am really struggling to change the I3 as I absolutely love it but its just the size is the problem but I still might keep it

How about getting a bike carrier ? that would save a lot of space inside.

Get rid of the i3 for Outlander you'd be bonkers lol. I couldn't do it but you got to do what's best for you. Any time I drive the Outlander I can't wait to get out of it, sometimes I get scared when I try go around a bend and the Outlander wants to keep going straight, no thanks. I drive it when I have to.

I'd get the E-Niro before Outlander. How about 2nd hand Model S ? that's got a pretty big boot. Or wait for the BMW IX3 ? FWD E_Niro and E-Soul, Kona etc will drive you bonkers if you like to put the boot down on damp and wet roads.

To be honest apart from bikes we manage to go away for a weekend in the i3 with suitcases and all the stuff for a 4.5 and 6 year old Boys with no issues.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I'd get the E-Niro before Outlander. How about 2nd hand Model S ? that's got a pretty big boot. Or wait for the BMW IX3 ? FWD E_Niro and E-Soul, Kona etc will drive you bonkers if you like to put the boot down on damp and wet roads.

I've never understood your rage against FWD EVs, the Ioniq is a changed car once you put decent tyres on it. It's honestly not as bad as you make out in every post. Going pedal to the metal from a stand will cause slippage, but it only takes a small amount of throttle control to make the issue go away.

liamog wrote: »
    I've never understood your rage against FWD EVs, the Ioniq is a changed car once you put decent tyres on it. It's honestly not as bad as you make out in every post. Going pedal to the metal from a stand will cause slippage, but it only takes a small amount of throttle control to make the issue go away.

Ok, I should have made it clear, FWD electric cars with power such as the Kona, e-soul,e-nrio are a pain in the hole in damp and wet.

xl500 coming from a RWD i3 who likes how it drives would find most FWD EV's with power frustrating especially in damp and wet, better tyres will help but can't escape the fact the RWD cars have much better grip.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,068 ✭✭✭✭KCross

There's a good course in Modello to teach you how to drive properly Mad_lad! :P

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I don't want to speak for xl500, but I suspect someone who takes the grandkids out isn't hoofing it off the line in an uncontrollable fashion, they'd probably be like most drivers and be able to handle the throttle control on any of the FWD EVs.

I don't want to speak for xl500, but I suspect someone who takes the grandkids out isn't hoofing it off the line in an uncontrollable fashion, they'd probably be like most drivers and be able to handle the throttle control on any of the FWD EVs.

It's not about driving like a "Mad_Lad" but having traction when you need it, coming out a country road onto a busy main road, motorway on-ramps, Pulling hard out into a round-a-bout or coming around a bend giving hard buy not full throttle or around a bend up a steep hill where you need to give it a good bit of power. So many examples.

KCross wrote: »
    There's a good course in Modello to teach you how to drive properly Mad_lad! :P

lol I can drive perfectly fine, but there are plenty of situations I just listed in my previous post that require good traction.

I would rather see EV manufacturers concentrate less on the 0-100 Km/hr and give more power at the mid and top end this would reduce wheel spin at low speeds.

Well I may be a grandad but I have driven motorbikes and cars of all types and indeed raced bikes and I still love beating boy racers from the lights in my i3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

Have you looked at a BMW 225xe?

• Advertisement

Well I may be a grandad but I have driven motorbikes and cars of all types and indeed raced bikes and I still love beating boy racers from the lights in my i3

Don't get me wrong, I do it too with the e-Up!, one of my guilty pleasures in life is traffic light F1. I think mad_lad just exaggerates a little when it comes to how bad the traction loss is. You can still zoom off the line in fwd EV, I see Kona's all over the place, and have yet to see one spinning aimlessly when entering a roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Skoda superb iv is the roomiest beast money can buy. With a towbar or roof rack bike carrying is easy and boot massive.

However it costs 8k more than a manual and 6k more than an automatic so you won't ever really save any money in the real world. An option though.

macnab wrote: »

Thanks for that "Frog" you might find yourself in the same position soon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

Thanks for that "Frog" you might find yourself in the same position soon

Ha ha, yeah that's for sure. The sooner the better. We are suffering from separation anxiety.
    I must call up some day to show you the Tesla.

macnab wrote: »

10 Kwh battery for 2020 model 7.7 Kwh, that's a bit of a joke.

Don't get me wrong, I do it too with the e-Up!, one of my guilty pleasures in life is traffic light F1. I think mad_lad just exaggerates a little when it comes to how bad the traction loss is. You can still zoom off the line in fwd EV, I see Kona's all over the place, and have yet to see one spinning aimlessly when entering a roundabout.

No I'm not exaggerating at all, I drove the Leaf 40 Kwh, Kona, E-Soul, though admittedly it wasn't as bad in the E-Soul but still annoying.

Even in the Dry the wheel spin in the Kona was ridiculous. Tyres screeching when I gave it max throttle.

FWD ev drivers adjust to compensate, I don't want to do this after RWD but if I had come from Leaf 24 Kwh into a Kona I probably wouldn't know any better if I never had driven the i3 but since I am driving the i3 I would find it very difficult, it may not bother some People but it would drive me insane.

Can't beat RWD,

This is a quote from innrain in the Kona forum. https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057745686&page=9

"Reports are that the EU Czech produced units have Michelin Primacy 4 fitted. One factor for the improved range. I trained myself to avoid the spinning. I will look for something quieter as on some older motorways the noise is annoying."

From mp3guy

"Has anyone looked into getting grippier tyres for the front?"

Lantus wrote: »
    Skoda superb iv is the roomiest beast money can buy. With a towbar or roof rack bike carrying is easy and boot massive.

However it costs 8k more than a manual and 6k more than an automatic so you won't ever really save any money in the real world. An option though.

13 Kwh is better than average, except maybe the Outlander but the Outlander is a thirsty beast.

Still 13 Kwh is way off the 33 Kwh in the i3.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,068 ✭✭✭✭KCross

No I'm not exaggerating at all, I drove the Leaf 40 Kwh, Kona, E-Soul, though admittedly it wasn't as bad in the E-Soul but still annoying.

Even in the Dry the wheel spin in the Kona was ridiculous. Tyres screeching when I gave it max throttle.

FWD ev drivers adjust to compensate, I don't want to do this after RWD but if I had come from Leaf 24 Kwh into a Kona I probably wouldn't know any better if I never had driven the i3 but since I am driving the i3 I would find it very difficult, it may not bother some People but it would drive me insane.

Can't beat RWD,

Nobody is going to argue that RWD is better to get the power to the road than FWD but you cant have it both ways... if the car is FWD you either need to be able to handle that rather than driving it like a go kart by mashing the peddle to the floor or the terrible alternative is that the manufacturers dumb the car down by reducing the power from 0-30.... thats what Nissan did with the Leaf which was a terrible option to take!

If driving a FWD car I'd prefer to have the power available and let me decide how to manage it than pandering to those who dont know how to drive it! :D

I understand where you are coming from, that a rwd drive has more grip off the line, as a personal dealbreaker I get where you are coming from, but as an absolute condemnation of any FWD EV, its an exaggeration.

Isn't that part of driving skill, you drive to the ability of the vehicle, and the conditions you are in. You gave a lot of examples of normal driving, motorway on-ramps, pulling onto a main road, shooting into roundabouts etc ..., all valid that a RWD drive car will do better, but with an extremely minor adjustment its manageable by any driver who can moderate the accelerator pedal. The torque is high enough on an EV that you will still massively outpace most ICE vehicles.

• Advertisement

We need to get Mad_Lad into the Mini SE, FWD EV with BMW traction control to solve the spinnage!

Advertisement