Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

City centre restaurants

Options
  • 25-07-2020 9:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭

There’s an article in the Irish Times today where restaurant owners are asking that Government put measures in place to bring everyone back into their offices in Dublin City centre, in order that they’ll start coming into their restaurants again.

At the moment local economies are hugely benefiting from people being around during the day, not to mention people’s work/life balance and community and family life. In addition there are enormous long term benefits to the environment and pressure on housing if workers aren’t being dragged into the same few square miles every day to do their job.

I have huge sympathy for anyone whose business is under threat but some of these restaurateurs seem to expect Government to put them and their needs ahead of everything else. Yes of course they need some forms of support at the moment, but sacrificing other people’s health and well being, local economies and the environment to do this seems very unrealistic. Surely trying to drag us back to the unsustainable lifestyles and economic models that existed pre pandemic is a bit blinkered?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

Surely trying to drag us back to the unsustainable lifestyles and economic models that existed pre pandemic is a bit blinkered?

Think they are doing them a favour

Full time WFH with one of the most expensive workforces ain't going to work long term

Employees will find that they will be increasingly laid off or have their wages reduced as employers begin using legal ways never used before, they will have cake and eat it in Ireland, that's for sure.

They are in the industry of making money and outsourcing remote workers to other countries won't be an issue

I'm WFH and happy to go back to keep my job

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

It's a tough situation and I feel for the restaurants/businesses, but they are essentially choosing their well being, economic stability, over peoples lives.

Offices are not safe environments during the pandemic. They are classified as high risk due to being indoors for a lengthy period.

You can't really blame people for putting their health first and WfH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

I also think they might have to accept that life might not go back to the way it was before. People were frazzled, worn out, barely seeing their kids, had no time for family meals, or to get to know their neighbours, or for outside interests and activities and communities were dying a death.

A lot of people have seen a better and healthier way of living and want to continue that way. Asking them to get back on the exhausting hamster wheel to keep restaurants and sandwich bars going would be short sighted and unfair.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭BillyBiggs

The same people have been coining it/ fleecing people for years and are missing their bounty now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

I also think they might have to accept that life might not go back to the way it was before. People were frazzled, worn out, barely seeing their kids, had no time for family meals, or to get to know their neighbours, or for outside interests and activities and communities were dying a death.

A lot of people have seen a better and healthier way of living and want to continue that way. Asking them to get back on the exhausting hamster wheel to keep restaurants and sandwich bars going would be short sighted and unfair.

That's true. If anything good might come out of this pandemic, it's the chance of a societal reset and a refocus of our priorities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

It would be amazing if Dublin regrew like an American city, like Chicago, where every neighbourhood has loads of amazing bars and restaurants.

I also don't understand how they expect all these people to travel in and out of work. It would cost an absolute fortune to lay on all the extra buses, luases and Darts needed. Also how could dozens of people milling around bus stops and stations socially distance.

If the days of thousands of people travelling into the city every day and buying sandwiches and meals out are over, then the business world will have to adapt.

Businesses are there to serve the people, not the other way around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

There's probably a balance to be found. A ton of people were moving to Dublin from abroad to work here. Its a question if the multinationals will give remote work to someone in Kildare or someone in eastern Europe who'll work cheaper. I'd guess they might favour employees live an hour from the office so they can call them in for a meeting/collaboration at short notice.

There are definitely too many restaurants and food outlets in the market. It's totally saturated by people want to run a restaurant that don't have the capital to do it well so they're offering a product you can get 10 other places with a mile walk. People relying too much on processed stuff is having a negative impact on our health in general if we're all not commuting we have time to eat a little better.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Offices are not safe environments during the pandemic. They are classified as high risk due to being indoors for a lengthy period.

You can't really blame people for putting their health first and WfH.

Plus employers are legally responsible for an employees safety. So if they were to bring all their employees back into the office like these restaurants want and there was an outbreak of the virus in the office then the employer could be held legally responsible. It just wont be happening as a result.

Was reading that there is only about 25% of the usual office workers going into the city centre every day. Which means lots of restaurants are going to fold over this but what can you do, the end game to getting back to normality is a vaccine and that is still some way off.

I agree. The restaurant business is very overcrowded in the city centre and is always a risky venture. Eating out is the first thing people cut back on when times are hard.

As I said I do feel sorry for anyone watching a hard worked for business going down the drain. But I’d much prefer to see restaurant owners be assisted to relocate or diversify than the government using working people as fodder to keep city centre restaurants open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

People who go into work aren’t eating in them as well- my office has people in staggered arrangements and most of the people who used to eat out are bringing their lunch still.. they got used to it during lockdown (essential services so always one or two in throughout). People seem to be going in when they have to, doing whatever they have to do and bailing- leisurely hour lunches are gone

I think it will be the same with restaurants in the evenings. Paying top dollar for a meal you have to rush through to be out in the required 90 mins isn’t going to attract people to hang around after work.

Advertisement