Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Something else for my red pesto

• 22-07-2020 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭

Found myself put in charge of minding a house and found a big bag of dried basil and some sesame oil. I had some tomato puree with me for doing other things so I went straight into trying to do a red pesto and I'm happy with it. This is what I'm using.

Basil
    Taragon (Smelled alright for the mix so I added that along with your run of the mill mixed herbs)
    Sesame Oil (Add's a lovely 'rustic' flavor.)
    Vegatable Oil
    Onion powder(Another item I found in the house, not sure if its a star ingredient or not)
    Salt/Pepper

Anything else can I add?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

Smiles35 wrote: »
    Found myself put in charge of minding a house and found a big bag of dried basil and some sesame oil. I had some tomato puree with me for doing other things so I went straight into trying to do a red pesto and I'm happy with it. This is what I'm using.

Basil
    Taragon (Smelled alright for the mix so I added that along with your run of the mill mixed herbs)
    Sesame Oil (Add's a lovely 'rustic' flavor.)
    Vegatable Oil
    Onion powder(Another item I found in the house, not sure if its a star ingredient or not)
    Salt/Pepper

Anything else I can add?

Chopped nuts to add a little crunch and Parmesan or whatever cheese block you may like.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,318 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

That bears absolutely no resemblance to red pesto whatsoever. Not saying you haven't made a sauce that tastes nice to you but it's not red pesto.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Dial Hard wrote: »
    That bears absolutely no resemblance to red pesto whatsoever. Not saying you haven't made a sauce that tastes nice to you but it's not red pesto.

I'll send you a jar made with heinz ketchup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Chopped nuts to add a little crunch and Parmesan or whatever cheese block you may like.

I have some nuts to try that. I'm not sure about cheese, seems like a waste as there wont be enough to go around to get the flavor.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,404 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Classic green pesto is basil, pine nuts, parmesan, garlic and olive oil. Red pesto is the same but with the addition of sun-dried tomatoes and roasted red peppers.

If you don't have either the pine nuts or the parmesan, it simply isn't pesto I'm afraid, and what you've made, although it might be red, isn't pesto in any real sense of the word.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,853 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Ah leave the op off. Making do is good. I'd add a couple of chilli flakes myself to the original recipe quoted. Be grand.

Throw it over fresh pasta and lick yer lips.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,318 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Ah leave the op off. Making do is good. I'd add a couple of chilli flakes myself to the original recipe quoted. Be grand.

Making do is fine, but it's still not pesto. What's wrong with just calling it what it is - a store cupboard hodge-podge that worked for them?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Is this going to be another carbonara debacle? :D

100% agree that what the OP has described isn't even vaguely related to pesto

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

Smiles35 wrote: »
    I have some nuts to try that. I'm not sure about cheese, seems like a waste as there wont be enough to go around to get the flavor.

Ah no, cheese is never wasted :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,664 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

To that salsa, I'd add toasted, crushed coriander seeds and red pepper flakes (Korean chilli flakes).
    The latter would, at least, be red!

Perhaps a finely chopped shallot, too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Maybe you could help me with a waldorf salad recipe. Out of waldorfs but i have apple, grapefruit, potato and mayonnaise.

Advertisement