Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N24 - Cahir to Waterford [design and planning underway]

• 05-01-2018 5:08pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭

TII have created this new scheme in their 2018 allocations.

This is a massive scheme, which will include the previous Cahir-Rathkeevin, Clonmel bypass, Carrick on Suir and Mooncoin bypasses, so 4 schemes bundled into one.

Scheme will be 2+2 with perhaps Type 1 DC closer to Waterford

Cahir-Limerick Junction has also been reactivated, meaning full DC all the way from Limerick Junction to Waterford.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Jayuu

Not that I'm doubting you all at all on this but is there a press release? I couldn't find anything on the TII site that mentions the N24.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

So Clonmels bypass will be bypassed finally! :D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Jayuu wrote: »
    Not that I'm doubting you all at all on this but is there a press release? I couldn't find anything on the TII site that mentions the N24.
    http://www.tii.ie/tii-library/reports-accounts/tii-allocations-2018/2018NAT_KilkennyCoCo.pdf

All "pipeline" schemes reactivated by TII got 25k, which will take them through 2018. Funding won't be available until the current batch of projects is done, but will likely be in the new Capital Plan being published in 2018

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Jayuu

marno21 wrote: »
    http://www.tii.ie/tii-library/reports-accounts/tii-allocations-2018/2018NAT_KilkennyCoCo.pdf

All "pipeline" schemes reactivated by TII got 25k, which will take them through 2018. Funding won't be available until the current batch of projects is done, but will likely be in the new Capital Plan being published in 2018

Cheers. I imagine it will be a few years before these actually get underway but good to know that it's finally back on the schedule.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Jayuu wrote: »
    Cheers. I imagine it will be a few years before these actually get underway but good to know that it's finally back on the schedule.
    This is it.

The time between now and construction will have to be put down anyway so the sooner we start the planning work the sooner we get on the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,081 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/new-bypass-will-reduce-traffic-flow-in-clonmel-1.188466

I don't remember a time when Clonmel didn't have a bypass (Wouldn't have been down that part of the country pre 1999!), but it hurts to think about the traffic nightmare that Clonmel would have been before the opening of the bypass!

JCX BXC wrote: »
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/new-bypass-will-reduce-traffic-flow-in-clonmel-1.188466

I don't remember a time when Clonmel didn't have a bypass (Wouldn't have been down that part of the country pre 1999!), but it hurts to think about the traffic nightmare that Clonmel would have been before the opening of the bypass!
    Funny how back then it was a £13m bypass with 2 bridges and 5 (now 6...) roundabouts over 9km. Now we are looking at 90km of dual carriageway costing likely around €700m.

And then you realise that 10 years ago, 10 years after it opened there was a plan to build 125km of dual carriageway. Some change that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Would planning be starting from scratch or would they be basically reactivating last decade's plan for the Mooncoin bypass?

I take it from the OP that the much derided 2+1 Piltown bypass will be upgraded too?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

JohnC. wrote: »
    Would planning be starting from scratch or would they be basically reactivating last decade's plan for the Mooncoin bypass?

I take it from the OP that the much derided 2+1 Piltown bypass will be upgraded too?
    I think it will be from scratch - probably Type 2 Dual most of the way (2+1 will form no part I guess) with perhaps a section or 2 of Type 1 Dual.

This isn't clear yet. They will use as much of the work done before as possible and the rest from scratch.

Road standard will likely be 2+2/Type 1 from Cahir to Mooncoin and Type 1 from Mooncoin to the Grannagh Interchange.

I don't think we'll be seeing an M24 from Mooncoin-Grannagh but I wouldn't entirely rule it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭steeler j

a terrible week on this road, prays for everyone involved

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭Bards

Yep, unfortunately 2 x fatalities in 2 x seperate accidents on this treacherous National Primary Route linking Ireland's third and fifth Cities... Sooner its upgraded the better

Shane Ross can talk about speeding and drink driving until his teeth fall out but until the main routes in Ireland are no longer glorified boreens the number of road deaths will not be dropping too fast.

RIP to the two people involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Shane Ross can talk about speeding and drink driving until his teeth fall out but until the main routes in Ireland are no longer glorified boreens the number of road deaths will not be dropping too fast.

RIP to the two people involved.

Ireland doesn’t exist past the M50 in Ross’s mind. He’s up there as one of the worst ministers I can remember. He has zero interest in his portfolio.

Ireland doesn’t exist past the M50 in Ross’s mind. He’s up there as one of the worst ministers I can remember. He has zero interest in his portfolio.

spot on

another accident outside Clonmel ,hope it's not to bad and everyoneis ok

• Registered Users Posts: 10,151 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Ah, that’s Not fair; shurr doesn’t he live a couple of miles outside the M50. I’m sure that he’ll be fully engaged some (little) distance outside the M50 ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Marcusm wrote: »
    Ah, that’s Not fair; shurr doesn’t he live a couple of miles outside the M50. I’m sure that he’ll be fully engaged some (little) distance outside the M50 ;-)

Yes, like Stepaside Garda Station. You’d swear there wasn’t one in Sandyford. He’s as parochial as any of the Healy Raes.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭annfield1978

Couple of months away from coming out to consultants for tender

Traffic counters put in this week ,is this something to do with the upgrade project

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭touts

steeler j wrote: »
    Traffic counters put in this week ,is this something to do with the upgrade project

I've probably seen counters along the N24 5 or 6 times over the last 10 years. If they are still counting the traffic and doing surveys and looking at options that means we are no closer to an actual upgrade than we were 10 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭touts

It must be 30 years since this was first proposed (certainly was an issue in the 1990s). Now only at pre-planning and design stage. Arup will make several million off of this but it is unlikely that a sod will be turned for another 30+ years (not on the plan up to 2040 and assuming that runs late the M24 won't get beyond this current pre-planning and design stage until mid 2040s which means no actual construction will commence until 2050s at the earliest).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

touts wrote: »
    ....but it is unlikely that a sod will be turned for another 30+ years (not on the plan up to 2040 and assuming that runs late the M24 won't get beyond this current pre-planning and design stage until mid 2040s which means no actual construction will commence until 2050s at the earliest).
    Now, the fact that it's not on the plan up to 2040 means nothing. The Gov rejig the projects and their order every 5 years so anything could happen.
    That said I think there are many other priority projects before 2030 so I'd see this happening in the early 2030s myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'll celebrate my licence renewal at 70 by driving on the new N24 :)

1.8km of this scheme is being done in advance to correct issues along the N24 Piltown bypass in Co. Kilkenny. Involves grade separation of a junction, and widening the existing mainline from 2+1 to 2+2

https://www.tipperarylive.ie/news/motoring/567028/an-bord-pleanala-approve-compulsory-purchase-order-on-main-tipperary-road.html

That's great, but I'm a little confused as to what's happening. What's this compact grade separated junction? I had heard, again very recently, they were putting a roundabout in there. But grade separated sounds better, and presumably would be better for potential future road upgrades.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

That's great, but I'm a little confused as to what's happening. What's this compact grade separated junction? I had heard, again very recently, they were putting a roundabout in there. But grade separated sounds better, and presumably would be better for potential future road upgrades.

They were maybe referring to the little roundabout that will be on the new junction, beside the mainline, i.e. a compact grade-seperated junction.

• Advertisement

https://irl.eu-supply.com/ctm/Supplier/PublicPurchase/179082/1/0

Tender out for LIDAR and Orthophotography surveys of the route

Advertisement