Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Refund for Tax Saver Travel Pass due to Covid 19

• 24-07-2020 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

I currently have an annual travel pass on the tax saver scheme for Dublin bus, Luas and Rail. Due to Covid 19 I have been working from home since March and have not used my travel pass.
    I understand that if you are continuing with your current employer you have the option to get the months that you have not used your travel pass added on at the end. Is it possible to get a refund instead of the months added on at the end if you are staying with your current employer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭veryangryman

I was literally just about to do a similar thread.

Also have an annual taxsaver for an intercity route. Not used since March.

Applied to refund it with work early June. Still waiting on refund although the commuter management department was closed and moved to HR with my company which would slow it down.

AFAIK the refund is backdated so assuming they give you 9 months from march(minus 2 in their terms and conditions of refund) youll have 7 worth.

Now having said all that i still haven't received a penny back yet so it's worth it throwing it out there to the other ladies and gents here...what has been yiur experience of the refund

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Smellysocks

I was literally just about to do a similar thread.

Also have an annual taxsaver for an intercity route. Not used since March.

Applied to refund it with work early June. Still waiting on refund although the commuter management department was closed and moved to HR with my company which would slow it down.

AFAIK the refund is backdated so assuming they give you 9 months from march(minus 2 in their terms and conditions of refund) youll have 7 worth.

Now having said all that i still haven't received a penny back yet so it's worth it throwing it out there to the other ladies and gents here...what has been yiur experience of the refund

Hopefully we can get a refund. My local HR don't really know if we are due refund as we are still with the same employer. They are of the opinion that we will get free months when we return to work next year. I personally would prefer a refund instead of the free months.

I will have to contact head office HR to see if I can get a refund instead of the free months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Free months are no use if the reduced capacity (due to closed off seats, no standing etc) mean there isn’t capacity for people to actually make use of the service.

Plus we are still being told that public transport is only for ‘necessary journeys’.

I cancelled my ticket and requested a refund from April onwards inclusive.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭puma90

I'm so confused as to what to do. I think i want the refund option as god knows when we will be back in the office. But i don't want to pay a penalty fine because I have cancelled my ticket within the 12 months as it states in T&Cs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

My employer cancelled mine and I was able to get a refund backdated to April, last used in March. No fine imposed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭puma90

Did you get a penalty taken from your refund for cancelling it. How long did it take to get your refund?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

No penalty. Took about 6 weeks I think.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Recurrent monthly tickets have no reduction when refunded in this case.

Annual tickets are refunded with two months dropped, as that's the discount for an annual

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Heiser

I used my ticket twice in each month of April, June and July but was thinking of cancelling it now. It's hardly likely they'd refund me for these months is there, even one of them?

I don't think I'll be going back to the office for a long time but unsure whether to cancel it altogether or keep it now there's six months free. It's due to expire in December.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

There is clause, if the ticket is used less than 10 times in a month they it is not considered to have been used and qualifies

For a lot of folks who might need to go in once a week its great, you can continue to use the ticket and still claim the refund back to April 1st

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Heiser

There is clause, if the ticket is used less than 10 times in a month they it is not considered to have been used and qualifies

For a lot of folks who might need to go in once a week its great, you can continue to use the ticket and still claim the refund back to April 1st

That's great news :) I see that now on the taxsaver.ie Q&A. Nice one I should get more of a refund than I had hoped

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭rsl1976

Quick question, is the refund taxable?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

rsl1976 wrote: »

Yes, as no tax was paid on the payment to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,716 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

rsl1976 wrote: »

yes - it'll be refunded through your payroll and taxed, as the original deduction was tax-free.

Advertisement