Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Galway races 27th July - 2nd August

• 21-07-2020 9:49am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭

Anyone hear the must hotels are booked up for race week? What are all these tourists going to do? Can’t go to the race track so be hanging around the pubs/resturants and hotels?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I didn't hear that. Do you have a link?

Edit - added dates to title so people know

• Registered Users Posts: 23,312 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Hotels are reporting a surge in bookings for Race Week, with holidaymakers and racing fans expected to flock to the city – despite the seven-day festival being held ‘behind closed doors’. https://connachttribune.ie/hotels-report-surge-in-booking-for-galway-races/
    Maybe it's just some spin

I wonder will many people go to watch from areas outside the course where you can see from. Ballybrit business park for example.

I'd be up there 7 days most years so its a big downer not having the races proper this year but I'd consider going to catch a glimpse of a few races if I knew it was going to be quiet and no packed with people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭king_of_mayo

Anyone hear the must hotels are booked up for race week?

I have heard that from a friend who's involved in the hospitality sector. That was a few weeks ago though when it was expected the pubs would be open, not sure what the current state of things is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭inisboffin

I may have seen a link (but for the moment heresay) about Hotels putting on events in house to make it more attractive. Like best dressed lady etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

The headline on the front of the city tribune last week seemed to suggest this is the case

• Registered Users Posts: 25,665 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

inisboffin wrote: »
    I may have seen a link (but for the moment heresay) about Hotels putting on events in house to make it more attractive. Like best dressed lady etc.

Dunno about others, but Hyde cancelled theirs when ghd not food pubs weren't allowed to open.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

A 30 second booking engine search shows rooms available in all the hotels, at rates that would suggest they are not in huge demand. Fake news?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I checked the The Railway Hotel (aka The Great Southern / Hotel Meyrick / The Hardiman) and they still have availabilities. Mind, there are some nights booked.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I heard the Nest is Salthill is mostly booked up from someone who works there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭TwoWheeledTim

Zzippy wrote: »
    A 30 second booking engine search shows rooms available in all the hotels, at rates that would suggest they are not in huge demand. Fake news?

I have family visiting two different weekends in mid August and the hotel rates are crazy. Not races week, I think Galway is just a popular spot for Staycations.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,257 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

I'd expect a lot of people will cancel because the pubs are shut.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Claregalway Hotel still have programmed events.

Apparently Galway to be divided into 'Zones' and policed.

Anyone spot a map of these zones?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,075 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

6 wrote: »
    I'd expect a lot of people will cancel because the pubs are shut.

A good few pubs are now bringing in external food vendors to serve food, just to get their doors open.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Jack lemmon

I wonder will many people go to watch from areas outside the course where you can see from. Ballybrit business park for example.

I'd be up there 7 days most years so its a big downer not having the races proper this year but I'd consider going to catch a glimpse of a few races if I knew it was going to be quiet and no packed with people.

That area is in private ownership(BSIL). A lot of construction work being carried out by them in this area also. There’ll definitely be no access to the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

That area is in private ownership(BSIL). A lot of construction work being carried out by them in this area also. There’ll definitely be no access to the public.

Is there not a public right of way through the grounds there since the Digital days.

Is there not a public right of way through the grounds there since the Digital days.

Right of way to where? The whole race course is completely fenced. Since the old APC factory(previously part of digital) was purchased by BSIL, they own that whole area including the road in front.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,075 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

There is a walk way in alright, but there's a couple of gates that can be closed off. They are left open for the majority of the year the walkers/runners everyday but are closed for the month prior to the races starting to ensure the grounds are kept in too condition.

To access the other entrance from that side, you have to walk down by the dual carriage and then turn in left in the car entrance which always has security on it during the races. This has been my entrance for years. Sometimes get caught at the gate as the first race is abut to start but it is sound as you get a nice first hand view of the race.

Alternatively, you can stand on the grass at the back of the HP building and watch the track, over the fence, from there.

“Alternatively, you can stand on the grass at the back of the HP building and watch the track, over the fence, from there.“

This is the area that I would defiantly expect to be off limits to the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 OpenAllHours

I’m one of those who booked 5/6 weeks ago with the expectation that things would be back to some normal as per government road map. Struggling to see what or where to go as only so much one can eat in the day in order to get a pint!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,665 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I’m one of those who booked 5/6 weeks ago with the expectation that things would be back to some normal as per government road map. Struggling to see what or where to go as only so much one can eat in the day in order to get a pint!

You have to buy the food. There's no one forcing you to eat it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Storm 10

You have to buy the food. There's no one forcing you to eat it.

Lot of pubs in Galway where you don't have to buy the food, say no more

“Alternatively, you can stand on the grass at the back of the HP building and watch the track, over the fence, from there.“

This is the area that I would defiantly expect to be off limits to the public.

Specifically this year? As every other year there is a decent crowd watching for there I can see them from the stand when I’m at the races.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,257 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

There's a lot of construction work going on behind HP these days. Not sure it's as accessible as previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

There's still a path around the site that's accessable to the public.
    Workers use it for break time walks.

I have a vague recollection of the residents from Casltegar taking a case against APC many years ago when they tried to stop access around the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Boston Scientific have SISK in there doing a load of building at the rear of the old APC Building so they could put extra Security on. I was up there during the week and there was a lot of digging machinery moving about along the old Pitch and Putt Course. As you look at HP you can stay to the right of the building and you can walk through a pedestrian gate next to a big gate here:
    https://www.google.com/maps/place/53%C2%B017'31.6%22N+9%C2%B000'15.0%22W/@53.2921138,-9.0047095,168m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m6!3m5!1s0x0:0x0!7e2!8m2!3d53.2921128!4d-9.0041608

I would chance that way. If i was going up I would bring a radio and keep to myself as not to attract attention.
    I think Mon and Tues are all flats so not much action the dip.

There's still a path around the site that's accessable to the public.
    Workers use it for break time walks.

I have a vague recollection of the residents from Casltegar taking a case against APC many years ago when they tried to stop access around the site.

Yes there is a path around this site, and it is used at break times by the workers, it’s not there as a public park though. It’s private property, there’s plenty private property signs up along the route. I think a FEW people up there with radios and workers does happen over race wk, but this year is very different and there’s no way that there’ll be large crowds allowed in there. There’s no public parking anywhere either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Storm 10

inisboffin wrote: »
    Claregalway Hotel still have programmed events.

Apparently Galway to be divided into 'Zones' and policed.

Anyone spot a map of these zones?

No dividing taking place

https://www.facebook.com/148746965181554/posts/3215165821872971/

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Lot of pubs in Galway where you don't have to buy the food, say no more

Which kips are doing it this time?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

biko wrote: »
    I didn't hear that. Do you have a link?

Edit - added dates to title so people know

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0725/1155509-galway-tourism-update/

“The general manager at the Galway Bay Hotel in Salthill said it is running at almost full occupancy from now until the end of August.”

Other Hoteliers in Galway are reporting brisk business, which translates to we’re packed

Advertisement