Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VAT Cut 23% to 21%

• 23-07-2020 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭

Will this apply to Car Sales?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

Can we now expect a few euros off with this temporary VAT change from 23% to 21%? It's due to take effect in September

• Registered Users Posts: 28,067 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Can we now expect a few euros off with this temporary VAT change from 23% to 21%? It's due to take effect in September

It's only car repairs, tbh I think what there doing is lunacy, this thing is far from over and there spending money like it's Xmas. Are we going for another bailout for each wave.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

It's only car repairs,

Repairs are @ 13.5%.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

I think it's the whole higher rate band, cars, drink, clothes etc. The car repair thing was just an example going around in some early headlines and tweets.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

It will apply to anything that currently has the 23% rate, including cars.

• Advertisement

I think it's the whole higher rate band, cars, drink, clothes etc. The car repair thing was just an example going around in some early headlines and tweets.

Yea I read it in the indo earlier, could have changed now, it's still on their website...your right looks across the board now.
    Could be a red flag for the car SEAI grant if there going flat out retrofitting homes.

The standard rate of VAT on food, clothes and car repairs will be reduced from 23pc to 21pc for a number of months.

Repairs are @ 13.5%.

I know it was the Independent, should have know better than to believe them. Times has it correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭jonnythefox

Yea I read it in the indo earlier, could have changed now, it's still on their website...your right looks across the board now.
    Could be a red flag for the car SEAI grant if there going flat out retrofitting homes.

The standard rate of VAT on food, clothes and car repairs will be reduced from 23pc to 21pc for a number of months.

I’m bit confused. Is the VAT reduced on cars?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,434 ✭✭✭jhegarty

RTE are saying it's for everything currently on 23%. So this would include cars.

Seems so it's across the board, I'd assume the vat figure is before grants so about €900 off then 1st including metallic and delivery.
    If vat registered you can also claim 20% of the remaining vat if you use it over 60% for business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Zenith74

I have a VRT appointment on 31st August where I will need to pay VAT on a car I recently imported, sounds like I might do well to delay that a few days?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,066 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Zenith74 wrote: »
    I have a VRT appointment on 31st August where I will need to pay VAT on a car I recently imported, sounds like I might do well to delay that a few days?

For sure. 1st sept is the next vat period so you need to reschedule passed that date if you can.

Although 2% probably won’t be big money in your case?

KCross wrote: »
    For sure. 1st sept is the next vat period so you need to reschedule passed that date if you can.

Although 2% probably won’t be big money in your case?

€500Ish so worth a reschedule I think! Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Alter_Ego

How did you get this booked? I imported a car in March, had a VRT appointment scheduled for 28/03. They closed the VRT offices that very day and haven't reopened them since. I check every so often and when trying to book a new appointment I just get:
    "Due to public restrictions to tackle the spread of the Coronavirus, we have no schedules open until further notice."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭AmberGold

So if you had a New car on order due for delivery mid August what would you be positioning with the garage?

Trade in generous and don’t want to piss them off.

Saving not insignificant.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Don't you mean VRT, shouldn't be VAT on second hand car

• Registered Users Posts: 12,066 ✭✭✭✭KCross

AmberGold wrote: »
    So if you had a New car on order due for delivery mid August what would you be positioning with the garage?

I’d ask for a 1st Sep invoice.

It’s not going to change their profit just delay it by 2 weeks. Can’t see it would be a big issue for them unless they already have cash flow issues.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Alter_Ego wrote: »
    How did you get this booked? I imported a car in March, had a VRT appointment scheduled for 28/03. They closed the VRT offices that very day and haven't reopened them since. I check every so often and when trying to book a new appointment I just get:
    "Due to public restrictions to tackle the spread of the Coronavirus, we have no schedules open until further notice."

VRT offices open since second week of July

If the mileage is less than 6,000 km you're liable for VAT too on a second hand car.

slave1 wrote: »
    VRT offices open since second week of July

OK, I guess I'll give them a call them, the online booking system appears to be closed still

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭gypsy79

You are assuming that the reduced rate will be passed on to the consumer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭AmberGold

gypsy79 wrote: »

Sort of thought that’s what the Government intended :0

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Sort of thought that’s what the Government intended :0

Hmmmm, could be considered a move to allow them increase margins and survive on fewer sales

Arguable

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭stesaurus

OK, I guess I'll give them a call them, the online booking system appears to be closed still

Try online Monday afternoon, seems to be when they release new dates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

gypsy79 wrote: »

It’s illegal not to

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

It’s illegal not to

LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭JohnC.

It’s illegal not to

It's not illegal for them to keep charging the same. The VAT may be reduced, but they just take a larger profit, partly to cover increased costs and fewer sales and that period everything was closed. It's up to them if they reduce the price in line with the VAT drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭JohnC.

You’re wrong there Ted.

Exactly which law stops a shop or vendor setting their margin at whatever they want?

Yeah the site is very confusing. I read that note and the usual VRT office I go to had no appointments, but I figured I'd try some of the others out of interest and found that some of them are actually open (eg. Dundalk). Strange. What it makes me wonder is if I was stopped with the UK reg on the car, beyond 30 days in the country, what would happen? VRT appointments are possible, but most people won't realise that I guess!

• Advertisement

It's an ex-demo, so less than 6 months old and less than 6000km so classed as a new means of transport. Importing as a company car though, so we can reclaim the UK 20% VAT, pay the 23% Irish VAT then avail of the VAT incentive on EVs to reclaim a fifth of the VAT paid for an effective VAT rate of 18.5%. Also should be able to use the Accelerated Capital Allowance scheme on it because again it is 'new'.

Alternative was to leave it with the dealer a few months to get over the 6 months and let them run the mileage up to 6000km.

Advertisement