Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tablet for older person

• 21-04-2020 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭

With the CV19 lockdown in full swing my elderly mother has decided she'd like a tablet to keep in touch with the family.

She's not very tech savvy and will only want it initially for video calls and looking at photos on Facebook and Instagram.

Can anyone recommend an easy to use device that won't break the bank?

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Hi Coz, I came here to ask the same question, want to get one for an elderly relative who has expressed an interest in 'one of them yokes' every time I google something for her :D Did you get something in the end and how did it work out? My older person has vision issues so I need something that is easy to use and with a large screen for enlarging icons, text, etc. Just to make things more tricky, I'd prefer a SIM enabled one so that we can just pay that bill for her rather than have her get WiFi installed at her house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Akabusi

miamee wrote: »
    who has expressed an interest in 'one of them yokes' every time I google something for her

I can fix her up with a bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Coz

miamee wrote:
    Hi Coz, I came here to ask the same question, want to get one for an elderly relative who has expressed an interest in 'one of them yokes' every time I google something for her Did you get something in the end and how did it work out? My older person has vision issues so I need something that is easy to use and with a large screen for enlarging icons, text, etc. Just to make things more tricky, I'd prefer a SIM enabled one so that we can just pay that bill for her rather than have her get WiFi installed at her house.

Got a Lenovo Tab E10 in the end.

I'd checked her phone bill and because she had never switched providers since P&T put the line n back in 19 O Splash she was paying way over the odds so got broadband and landline for less than she was paying for just landline (with the same provider!!l).

It's a decent enough tablet with a 10" screen and once you make the text larger than default it's perfect.

She's now on FB, IG and making Messenger video calls to bate the band.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Coz

I also installed Team Viewer Quick Support so I could access her tablet remotely for " online socially distanced training "

Advertisement