Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Reporting on Crime Committed by Travelers

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

I've just messaged you with all the relevant details. You can go googling yourself if you want to.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

I’ve just had to do a clear-out of posts from people giving their opinions on travellers, or referring to specific incidents or alleged incidents.

To be clear - this thread is about how the media covers the traveller community and events involving members of the traveller community (and, broadly, what place ethnicity should have in news reports)

I’m not interested in spending my time cleaning up after people who can’t stay within that boundary, so if it keeps straying from there I’ll just lock the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

OP. you are right. There seems to be an omission in any story about travelers from the media, where it is negative news about the them. Its like its handed to the editor and then the editor goes through it and says "oh, cant say that. Delete it.".
    The media are afraid to publish anything negative about travelers.
    When you read any article you can actually tell the areas they went through and removed negative references to travelers. Its like glaring gaps in the information presented.
    Doesnt happen with anything else. Just travelers.
    Its like nobody is allowed to describe anything bad that they do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭80j2lc5y7u6qs9

It's not just Travellers. You don't generally see reports like "Polish man convicted of assault" or "Nigerian man drove while four times over the limit" either. Newspapers/other media generally just give the name and address, and maybe a photo if the offence is noteworthy enough to warrant it.

It's all to do with "Incitement to Hatred" stuff. The likes of Pavee Point (in the case of Travellers) or other groups (in the case of non-nationals) wouldn't be long in making accusations that the media outlet is tarring them all with the one brush by saying "Traveller convicted of ...." or "Nigerian guilty of .....". They ask things like "would you say settled person convicted of ....., or Irish man guilty of ......?"

No such issues when it's a positive story, like Traveller appointed to Seanad, or first Nigerian to be elected to local authority, or some such.

A Polish roofer who is currently serving a lengthy prison term for random attacks on three women has being convicted of trying to rape a woman almost nine years ago.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/criminal-court/man-in-jail-for-attacks-on-three-women-convicted-of-trying-to-rape-another-1.3908606

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

bubblypop wrote: »
    So you believe a person's ethnicity should be reported when they commit crimes?
    for example, I commit a crime, should they say
    ' Bubblypop, an Irish citizen, who was born in the UK'
    Is it in anyway relevant?

when a traveller earns a PHd or wins a boxing title or something prestigous , they mention they are travellers several times

its perfectly relevant to highlight crime committed by travellers , travellers go out of their way to identify themselves as seperate and unique , all of a sudden when it comes to crime , we are expected to pretend they are no longer seperate and unique ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I presume it's related to incitement to hatred laws. Even when it's pertinent to the story, such as a halting site being raised by CAB, it will be reported as "an address in county".

I'm not sure if it's a correct interpretation of the law but I've argued before that Irish media often take a paternalistic approach to reporting these kind of items. It's like they don't trust the public to not conflate all members of an ethnic group with those caught up in criminality.

travellers are sacred cows of the PC left , thus references to bad behaviour must be ignored , played down or concealed

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 466 ✭✭DangerScouse

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    travellers are sacred cows of the PC left , thus references to bad behaviour must be ignored , played down or concealed

Unless they move in beside said sacred cows then the gloves are off.

Advertisement