Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Share accounts for a minor

• 18-07-2020 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,361 ✭✭✭

Anyone know a stockbrokers that will allow me setup a trading account for my son? Degiro has a limit of 18 years old

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Anyone know a stockbrokers that will allow me setup a trading account for my son? Degiro has a limit of 18 years old

I thought there is a legal requirement for brokers to ensure that clients understand the consequence of share dealing/investing, letting a minor have a trading account would leave the open to abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,361 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Jim2007 wrote: »
    I thought there is a legal requirement for brokers to ensure that clients understand the consequence of share dealing/investing, letting a minor have a trading account would leave the open to abuse.

That would only apply where advice is being given. Wouldn’t be a worry for execution-only service

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

Shedite27 wrote: »
    That would only apply where advice is being given. Wouldn’t be a worry for execution-only service

Not certain of the specifics, but as a general rule Minors lack capacity to enter into legally enforceable contracts.

There are very limited exceptions, such as the broad term contracts for “necessities”, eg food, clothes (nowadays) prob mobile phones too.

I would think that the execution of an order to purchase shares is a contract but I’m not aware of the specific contractual mechanics to comment further.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭a clanger

I have minor accounts with Degiro for the kids. They are set up in their name /PPS numbers. I also had to submit my details as guardian etc . Took a while to set up but they are /were available

• Registered Users Posts: 9,361 ✭✭✭Shedite27

a clanger wrote: »
    I have minor accounts with Degiro for the kids. They are set up in their name /PPS numbers. I also had to submit my details as guardian etc . Took a while to set up but they are /were available

Hi, yeah I sent them a mail and they just said they weren't doing them at the moment. I've been added to a waitlist for whenever they do it again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement