Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving in a Bus Lane

• 22-07-2020 7:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭

Why is driving in a bus lane only a €60 fine? As far as i can see from the RSA is doesnt incur any penalty points.

Doesnt this mean rich people can use bus lanes with relatively little hassle as fines can be paid online with ease now.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

€60 for driving in one and €40 for parking on one. No penalty points.

That's the thing about all fines, congestion charges etc. it does just mean some people can afford to carry on doing it. Penalty points or income based fines level the playing field somewhat.

Anyway, it's not something that Gardaí care about so the chances of getting caught and having to pay the €60 are slim to none. That will change with camera based enforcement eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Allinall

dvdman1 wrote: »
    Why is driving in a bus lane only a €60 fine? As far as i can see from the RSA is doesnt incur any penalty points.

Doesnt this mean rich people can use bus lanes with relatively little hassle as fines can be paid online with ease now.

Most rich people don't get rich by wasting money on paying fines.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭dvdman1

Allinall wrote: »
    Most rich people don't get rich by wasting money on paying fines.

The term "rich people" isnt great maybe ill rephrase that to "people who can afford".

• Registered Users Posts: 24,937 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

People do it because they can get away with it - not because they can afford it. In my experience many of the offending drivers are in commercial vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,842 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

The term "rich people" isnt great maybe ill rephrase that to "people who can afford".

If that is the case why is there always people moaning about driving fines?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,228 ✭✭✭cgcsb

The people parking in bus lanes to go to centra in the PJs are not rich. I often see huge queues of cars in Bus Lanes and the gardaí just swan past and mind their own business. It would be interesting to learn when the last such fine was handed out. It was probably only ever applied when they start enforcing college green.

Rich, poor, upper, middle, lower whatever...
    I do think €60 is a rather low penalty for this offence and no penalty points too.

The lack of enforcement is a major reason why people do it...not to waste police time i think a camera system should be in place, wouldn't it pay for itself?

If that is the case why is there always people moaning about driving fines?

People moaning doesnt make it so.
    Anybody who owns a car can afford €60, some cars cost 60 to fill the tank

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

People moaning doesnt make it so.
    Anybody who owns a car can afford €60, some cars cost 60 to fill the tank

That doesn't really make much sense. You use the money on the fine, can't fill up the tank.

Anyhow, fines don't work. The amount of dog shít in the parks will tell you that.

That doesn't really make much sense. You use the money on the fine, can't fill up the tank.

Anyhow, fines don't work. The amount of dog shít in the parks will tell you that.

I dont think you understand my point about 60euro

"Fines dont work" is your opinion..every jurisdiction in the world use fines...the higher rates in Australia have worked for the most parts

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,422 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

"Fines dont work" is your opinion..every jurisdiction in the world use fines...the higher rates in Australia have worked for the most parts
    There's no point having a structure for fining drivers when there's no enforcement or will by the gardai

• Registered Users Posts: 12,754 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

There's no point having a structure for fining drivers when there's no enforcement or will by the gardai

This...there's a 24 hour bus lane from the spawell down past cheeverstown to the next junction.
    The amount of times I've had the horn blared at me cause I had the audacity to merge left (legally), and the person driving in the 24 hour bus lane had to "let me in".

I've seen the garda there a few times and it gives me great delight to see these pricks being pulled in. Oh I couldn't possibly queue like the rest of you as my time is more important.

Yes i agree greater enforcement is needed, this could be cctv based to avoid wasting police time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

If you think I don't understand it, would you be willing to explain it, or do you just want to appear to have something more subtle going on?

It's not an opinion. Fines don't work as a deterrent. We see things people do while driving every day that would result in a fine, yet they persist with it. We see things people do regularly even if they aren't driving that would result in a fine, but still they go on with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

The obvious answer is enforcement with cameras. The technology is available and cheaper every year.
    There was an excellent thread recently about a similar topic and the consensus seemed to be that giving other authorities than exclusively An Garda powers to enforce minor traffic rules like Bus-gates was necessary as AGS was not going to do it; it doesn't have the resources for manned enforcement and has some hidebound aversion to technological solutions.

Eh, they have the Road Policing Unit specifically for road traffic offences.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭Duckjob

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    The obvious answer is enforcement with cameras. The technology is available and cheaper every year.
    There was an excellent thread recently about a similar topic and the consensus seemed to be that giving other authorities than exclusively An Garda powers to enforce minor traffic rules like Bus-gates was necessary as AGS was not going to do it; it doesn't have the resources for manned enforcement and has some hidebound aversion to technological solutions.

Political cowardice. They're afraid of the "look at them, bashing the poor motorist!" section of the electorate.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,823 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Peregrine wrote: »
    €60 for driving in one and €40 for parking on one. No penalty points.

That's the thing about all fines, congestion charges etc. it does just mean some people can afford to carry on doing it. Penalty points or income based fines level the playing field somewhat.

Anyway, it's not something that Gardaí care about so the chances of getting caught and having to pay the €60 are slim to none. That will change with camera based enforcement eventually.

It used to be of importance in the six weeks coming up to Christmas in Dublin.

Not of course to help the life of PT commuters, but for business owners in the city the economy in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,228 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Eh, they have the Road Policing Unit specifically for road traffic offences.

they're tax checkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,937 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

... i think a camera system should be in place, wouldn't it pay for itself?
    It wouldn't pay for itself as the behaviour would reduce significantly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

It wouldn't pay for itself as the behaviour would reduce significantly.

I only drive in a bus lane when I have my bike on the roof of my car! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,108 ✭✭✭highdef

mfceiling wrote: »
    This...there's a 24 hour bus lane from the spawell down past cheeverstown to the next junction.
    The amount of times I've had the horn blared at me cause I had the audacity to merge left (legally), and the person driving in the 24 hour bus lane had to "let me in".

I've seen the garda there a few times and it gives me great delight to see these pricks being pulled in. Oh I couldn't possibly queue like the rest of you as my time is more important.

I can go further with your example. Twice, yes TWICE, whilst waiting legally to merge from the left lane to the slip lane at the end of the 24 hour bus lane beside the War Memorial Gardens from the R148 (ex-N4) inbound to the South Circular Road towards Islandbridge, a Garda on a motorcycle first stopped behind me, put on lights and siren and signaled me to drive straight on (towards Heuston). Both times I did not as that was not where I intended to travel. Both times, the guard then pulled up into the lane to my right (carriageway now completely blocked) and insist that I drive on because I'm both blocking the left lane and "am liable to cause an accident because cars will need to brake behind me" - I'm not kidding. In both cases I questioned why am I being picked on as I was following the rules of the road yet the dozens of vehicles illegally in the 24 hour bus lane who are also disrupting public transport (there were a couple of buses in the bus lane queue) are completely ignored. Again, in both cases, the Guard said that if there is a big queue like that in the bus lane, I should enter the queue at the back "for safety reasons". In response, I asked the guard to put that in writing for me, together with badge number (I'll do it if I have something to back me up). The first occasion it happened, it was with a guard on a motorcycle. He got very thick that I had the audacity for me to request something formal and in writing about an order he had given me so he told me pull in further ahead on the road towards Heuston. I refused, saw a gap and pulled into slip lane towards Islandbridge. He sat behind me until just after the entrance to the school, then indicated me to pull in. He said he thought he noticed that I had a bald tyre. He then spend the next 15 minutes, scrutinising my vehicle. To his annoyance, he found nothing (company vehicle, gets weekly checks by myself). He said that he "would let me away with it this time" and I asked what I was being let away with. He grunted, got on his bike and went off into the sunset.

With the other encounter, it was a Garda van and when I asked for something in writing and badge number for when I am using the 24 hour bus lane under Garda's orders, the Garda van literally sped off with wheels spinning!

Sorry for rambling on there but they are the two strangest encounters with Guards I have ever had and yes, I still do pass all stopped traffic in any bus lane not for use by private vehicles and enter only where it ends. I won't get a ticket for doing this and if a vehicle ever does drive into the back of me whilst I'm waiting to merge, the other driver is obviously not paying attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,219 ✭✭✭markpb

highdef wrote: »
    Sorry for rambling on there but they are the two strangest encounters with Guards I have ever had

The Gardai are a strange bunch but a lot of their behaviour is historical. They were founded after the civil war as guardians of the peace, not a police force and because of that, they police by consent as much as possible. This is in stark contrast to police forces in other countries who take a much more black and white approach to policing.

There are a lot of good things about consent policing but when it comes to road traffic acts, it's falls apart. Enough people are happy with the status quo (keeping cars moving is king and parking on footpath/cycle lanes is the norm) that the Guards don't see it as a problem so they don't police it. The same was true years ago for drink driving. Everyone did it so the guards didn't really try to stop it. Then it became politically and morally unacceptable so there was a major change in enforcement and it was eradicated.

If you sat down and had a conversation with either of those guards, they'd probably accept that you were legally right and the people driving in the bus lane were legally wrong but they wouldn't accept that anything should be done about it. It's the same mentality that allows them to needlessly park on footpaths and cycle lanes. It never occurs to them that it's wrong because the vast majority of people accept it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,006 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Fines don't work as a deterrent. We see things people do while driving every day that would result in a fine, yet they persist with it.
    i would twist that slightly, in that of *course* they don't work if they're not levied. people persist in doing what they do, that you refer to, because they know they won't be fined.

i'm not necessarily arguing that fines *do* work, i'm arguing that you can't say they don't, because we don't have the evidence.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,006 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

markpb wrote: »
    the Guards don't see it as a problem so they don't police it.
    i think i remember a pretty explicit quote from a senior garda that they basically regard roads policing as a done deal, or a low priority, largely because of ireland's low road fatality rate.
    and if you were to regard that metric as the only one that mattered (i certainly don't), i guess they'd be right.

i would twist that slightly, in that of *course* they don't work if they're not levied. people persist in doing what they do, that you refer to, because they know they won't be fined.

i'm not necessarily arguing that fines *do* work, i'm arguing that you can't say they don't, because we don't have the evidence.

The main punishment for speeding is a fine. Twitter is full of people the guards catch speeding. Fines don't seem to stop people from doing it.

During the roadworks on the M7, it was the most publicised speed trap ever, yet people still did it and felt they were right to, regardless of the threat of a fine and the huge numbers of people caught doing it.

Twitter is full of people the guards catch speeding.
    maybe you need to follow the right accounts for that so, i don't see it. but that just shows that twitter will deliver you what you want to hear.
    i see rampant red light jumping, bus lane misuse, etc., and often under the noses of gardai, and the gardai don't react. people do it because they know their chances of getting caught is nil.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The main punishment for speeding is a fine. Twitter is full of people the guards catch speeding. Fines don't seem to stop people from doing it.

We don't have enough enforcement to make fines useful, right now it's so rare to be caught that you think oh no I got caught, rather than on no maybe I shouldn't do that.

A fine of €15 every week for speeding, is going to be way more effective that a fine of €100 and penalty points once a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

highdef wrote: »
    I can go further with your example. Twice, yes TWICE, whilst waiting legally to merge from the left lane to the slip lane at the end of the 24 hour bus lane beside the War Memorial Gardens from the R148 (ex-N4) inbound to the South Circular Road towards Islandbridge, a Garda on a motorcycle first stopped behind me, put on lights and siren and signaled me to drive straight on (towards Heuston). Both times I did not as that was not where I intended to travel. Both times, the guard then pulled up into the lane to my right (carriageway now completely blocked) and insist that I drive on because I'm both blocking the left lane and "am liable to cause an accident because cars will need to brake behind me" - I'm not kidding. In both cases I questioned why am I being picked on as I was following the rules of the road yet the dozens of vehicles illegally in the 24 hour bus lane who are also disrupting public transport (there were a couple of buses in the bus lane queue) are completely ignored. Again, in both cases, the Guard said that if there is a big queue like that in the bus lane, I should enter the queue at the back "for safety reasons". In response, I asked the guard to put that in writing for me, together with badge number (I'll do it if I have something to back me up). The first occasion it happened, it was with a guard on a motorcycle. He got very thick that I had the audacity for me to request something formal and in writing about an order he had given me so he told me pull in further ahead on the road towards Heuston. I refused, saw a gap and pulled into slip lane towards Islandbridge. He sat behind me until just after the entrance to the school, then indicated me to pull in. He said he thought he noticed that I had a bald tyre. He then spend the next 15 minutes, scrutinising my vehicle. To his annoyance, he found nothing (company vehicle, gets weekly checks by myself). He said that he "would let me away with it this time" and I asked what I was being let away with. He grunted, got on his bike and went off into the sunset.

With the other encounter, it was a Garda van and when I asked for something in writing and badge number for when I am using the 24 hour bus lane under Garda's orders, the Garda van literally sped off with wheels spinning!

Sorry for rambling on there but they are the two strangest encounters with Guards I have ever had and yes, I still do pass all stopped traffic in any bus lane not for use by private vehicles and enter only where it ends. I won't get a ticket for doing this and if a vehicle ever does drive into the back of me whilst I'm waiting to merge, the other driver is obviously not paying attention.

Get a grip of yourself

Asking a garda "to write it down" and their "badge no"

Id like to say what you are but I can't

In future join the queue or merge at the top like any other, either is not difficult

• Advertisement

CrankyHaus wrote: »

It’s like speeding, which would also be stamped out on lots of routes with average cameras, they simply want to leave the carrot there for people rather than completely stop it.

Advertisement