Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Old Head

• 14-08-2018 9:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭

So I am playing Old Head this Friday, have many of the boardies here played it before? On a difficulty scale, how hard are we talking. I know a lot of the "premium" courses can be sometimes very unplayable to the everyday mid to high handicapper (play of 14 myself). Do I just put 2 dozen golf balls in the bag and enjoy the day,haha...

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I'm 14 hcap, I've never had an issue on any golf course, played BBunion and Portrush, Portmarnock etc without losing a ball, just ease back a little and try to lay up a bit more than usual e.g. I rarely - if ever - use a wood on a links course.
    Relax, you'll be fine, if the greens are fast they'll catch you out in any case but it would be nice to go around without losing a ball.
    Enjoy it, one of the last few on my list to play...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭sydneygolfdude

slave1 wrote: »
    I'm 14 hcap, I've never had an issue on any golf course, played BBunion and Portrush, Portmarnock etc without losing a ball, just ease back a little and try to lay up a bit more than usual e.g. I rarely - if ever - use a wood on a links course.
    Relax, you'll be fine, if the greens are fast they'll catch you out in any case but it would be nice to go around without losing a ball.
    Enjoy it, one of the last few on my list to play...

Ya I know what you mean, think I am just getting a bit worked up over it as myself and my mate planned this nearly a year ago as we have a friend getting married in Cork on Saturday...the excitement is getting the best of me!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,713 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

it will depend on weather

But it is grand

many of the holes have hero option but shorter option

not much rough when I played

sort of a tourist course so tee boxes and set up normally easy.

it will depend on weather

But it is grand

many of the holes have hero option but shorter option

not much rough when I played

sort of a tourist course so tee boxes and set up normally easy.

Ya I have been keeping an eye on the weather and looks good so far for Friday, but of course that can easily change between now and then!

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Ronney

It is far from a trickie course. Play off tees that suit your groups standard/distance abilities. Although do go back to the Back tee by the lighthouse on 18 and give it a rip.

If memory serves me right the cliff edges are treated as lateral hazards so just drop where you crossed and no penalty on distance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Ronney

Out of curiosity are they doing any sort of deals on price these days?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I played it years ago. Very scenic on a good day. Course itself is nothing extraordinary. It's a pricey round of golf.

I played it years ago. Very scenic on a good day. Course itself is nothing extraordinary. It's a pricey round of golf.

ya can say that again...its actually nearly as expensive as my annual membership at my home place :(:( !! definitely a once off golf bucket list day out...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

It really depends on the wind. I played out 5-6 years ago in 50-60km winds. It was probably the toughest conditions ive ever played in. But the course is fine apart from a couple of holes it is all there in front of you.

Incidentally enough i played with another boardsie that day and the other 2 we played with walked in after 6. They couldnt hack it. It was in one of the Social Media Opens (i think it was the first one).
    Left us there on our tod, no one to mark our card. haha. Luckily we weren't in contention but still poor form.

kiers47 wrote: »
    It really depends on the wind. I played out 5-6 years ago in 50-60km winds. It was probably the toughest conditions ive ever played in. But the course is fine apart from a couple of holes it is all there in front of you.

Incidentally enough i played with another boardsie that day and the other 2 we played with walked in after 6. They couldnt hack it. It was in one of the Social Media Opens (i think it was the first one).
    Left us there on our tod, no one to mark our card. haha. Luckily we weren't in contention but still poor form.

jez thats bad form, dont think i could do that to someone on the course!. well the money I have just paid the course would want to be blown apart with the wind before id walk in!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Ronney wrote: »
    Out of curiosity are they doing any sort of deals on price these days?

I could not find any, Definitely not for peak summer period's anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

It has perhaps 6 incredibly scenic holes;

2nd, 3rd, 4th, 12th, 16th and 18th for me. The rest are run of the mill golf holes really.
    The scenic one's make up for them though.

The holes are really all ahead of you with next to no blind shots.
    If playing the 18th, if it's a casual round, make sure you play it from the back tee under the lighthouse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

It's been 9 years or so since I played it but I remember it being pretty fair with nice generous fairways, no silly greens and no undulations like a links course to throw your ball off line. The big challenge with regards playability is the wind. I doubt it's ever calm there. But you will enjoy it no question, there is no where like it. The 4th and 12th were the standouts for me but there are plenty of terrific holes with amazing views and a few average enough holes with no views. As another poster said, play off tee's that suit with the exception of 18. You have to go to the back tee for that one. So don't take your score too seriously and just enjoy it. And bring your camera.

valoren wrote: »
    It has perhaps 6 incredibly scenic holes;

2nd, 3rd, 4th, 12th, 16th and 18th for me. The rest are run of the mill golf holes really.
    The scenic one's make up for them though.

The holes are really all ahead of you with next to no blind shots.
    If playing the 18th, if it's a casual round, make sure you play it from the back tee under the lighthouse.

That's 2 tips now for the 18th off the back tee's so this is definitely something I will be doing...

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Break80

So I am playing Old Head this Friday, have many of the boardies here played it before? On a difficulty scale, how hard are we talking. I know a lot of the "premium" courses can be sometimes very unplayable to the everyday mid to high handicapper (play of 14 myself). Do I just put 2 dozen golf balls in the bag and enjoy the day,haha...

I played it for the first time in the really hot weather a few weeks ago.
    We played off the yellow tees as the lad who brought us down had an injury.
    Driver is too much on a lot of holes so you need to plot your way around.
    It is probably a different beast when the wind blows but for the scenery alone it can't be beat. The way it's laid out you can only see the hole you are playing rarely seeing another hole until you get to the next tee
    €1200 a fourball is crazy money but it's a once in a lifetime experience.
    Enjoy.

ThunderCat wrote: »
    It's been 9 years or so since I played it but I remember it being pretty fair with nice generous fairways, no silly greens and no undulations like a links course to throw your ball off line. The big challenge with regards playability is the wind. I doubt it's ever calm there. But you will enjoy it no question, there is no where like it. The 4th and 12th were the standouts for me but there are plenty of terrific holes with amazing views and a few average enough holes with no views. As another poster said, play off tee's that suit with the exception of 18. You have to go to the back tee for that one. So don't take your score too seriously and just enjoy it. And bring your camera.

great advice. yep camera will be with me, id say I will never be on the course again so take as many photos as I can!!

Break80 wrote: »
    I played it for the first time in the really hot weather a few weeks ago.
    We played off the yellow tees as the lad who brought us down had an injury.
    Driver is too much on a lot of holes so you need to plot your way around.
    It is probably a different beast when the wind blows but for the scenery alone it can't be beat. The way it's laid out you can only see the hole you are playing rarely seeing another hole until you get to the next tee
    €1200 a fourball is crazy money but it's a once in a lifetime experience.
    Enjoy.

thanks for posting. I know €300 a head, I could not believe when we inquired on costs. But as I said, I doubt I will be playing it again in the near future... bar Adare Manor is there many more expensive courses in Ireland? I know BallyB, Lahinch and the likes are usually around the €200 mark in peak season.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,713 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

it's not worth 300 quid

But I guess if you are into playing the big courses in Ireland you have to play it somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Dbu

Just enjoy it,
    a lot depends on the weather

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭BOB81

Played it a couple of years ago in October on a gui twilight rate - think it was around €95-100 which is the most I've ever paid for a round. Got absolutely perfect conditions for the day so my view is probably skewed by that but it was on my bucket list and I wasn't disappointed, some absolutely spectacular holes (particularly the par 3's). Not sure I'd stump up €300 but it probably is a once in a lifetime visit...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Played it 5 weeks ago in the most stunning weather, I love the course for the pure majesty of 6 holes. Its not overly difficult as a layout but if the wind blows it can grow teeth very quickly.

Like others I would say play off the back tees on a few holes, especially 18. I would also recommend getting there early, the food and service is top notch as is the practice facilities.

Enjoy

J

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

It does look like a bucket list course but at that price I'm holding out for a while, some manna from heaven or something to bring the cost down
    I could be waiting...

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭sector

Played a couple of months back, was fantastic, range was closed so bar & oncourse drinks were utilised extensively haha.

oh ye the wind blew like mad, i carried (mistake) and it was very difficult, bring loads of balls just in case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

slave1 wrote: »
    It does look like a bucket list course but at that price I'm holding out for a while, some manna from heaven or something to bring the cost down
    I could be waiting...

Yea the standard rate seems to stay continuous. Same price a decade ago when I played as it is today. It hasn't gone up I suppose is the other way of looking at it. It's worth it in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,106 ✭✭✭big_drive

Stuck this into an old topic. Just wondering is there good deals here at moment? Noticed a lot of people on social media etc playing there. Couldn’t find much on their website

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

big_drive wrote: »
    Stuck this into an old topic. Just wondering is there good deals here at moment? Noticed a lot of people on social media etc playing there. Couldn’t find much on their website

€130 for the next while, need to email them for details and you'll find the email address on the website. In top condition at the moment

Advertisement