Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New, unregistered Irish-bought car from 1976 - where do I start?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭wildwillow

I'm sure everyone's forgotten about the original car in this thread by now, but here's some footage of a 504 diesel in action on the fine roads of '80s West Clare: https://www.rte.ie/archives/collections/news/21267864-potholes-in-west-clare/

I drove one in that colour in the ninteen eighties. Bought new and loved it. My husband hated the colour and rarely drove it.

Brother in law borrowed it when it was just a few months old and had a serious enough front end collision. It was in city traffic so no real speed and no one injured and no personal injury claims.
    Luckily he was fully insured and a repair was done but I never trusted it afterwards and traded it in less than a year later for a Volvo.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,856 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

You'd think any customs guy worth his salt would know VWs were rear engined...

Although our lads weren't a patch on the Stasi, they had their off-days too -

How I escaped from East Berlin in a Lotus sports car (in the tiny space where the fuel tank used to be) :eek:

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭alfa beta

I'm delighted this morning to let readers of this thread know that the Variant has found a new home, one which (fingers crossed) will see her back on the road in all her previous air-cooled, rear-engined glory at some point in the not too distant future.

And as was the case with the other vehicles (the MZ bikes, the Daihatsu Van, one of the Honda 50's) the sale of the VW to a wonderfully enthusiastic new owner has resulted in another substantial donation to the Cope Foundation at a time when traditional fundraising is nigh on impossible.

:):)

That's brilliant news.

Will the new owner be posting pics of the restoration here or elsewhere, do you know?

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,745 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Will the new owner be posting pics of the restoration here or elsewhere, do you know?

Or more specific, is kadman here the new owner? :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

That's brilliant news.

I'd hazard a guess that the new owner should put any resto pics here on this thread, in admiration of the values of the guy that started this thread, and what he was setting out to achieve by it.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Alfa you probably know about this but just in case you don't.

Tax back to the charity.

https://www.cope-foundation.ie/TaxEfficientGiving

unkel wrote: »
    Or more specific, is kadman here the new owner? :)

Lol ... oh I couldn't possibly say!

I guess we'll just have to wait and see who the new owner is when kad- I mean when the new owner posts pics of the fully restored vehicle!

alfa beta wrote: »

I guess we'll just have to wait and see who the new owner is when kad- I mean when the new owner posts pics of the fully restored vehicle!

ooh , I think maybe he could squeeze a few pictures before that:P

That's brilliant news.

In answer to your question, he will most definitely be posting the pics here, whatever about elsewhere:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,745 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Brilliant! No better man to do the job. Really looking forward to see a thread with all the progress.

Well its no surprise that I was interested in the VW from the moment I saw it
    posted up here.

It was a car I have always had a longing for since way back when we had them
    in the family, and from the outset I had been in contact to offer help if needed
    to offer any advice on the car to Alfa.

And when I heard of the history of the car, you know I advised alfa that maybe he should keep it.

But he had a goal in site to raise money for his charity, and offered me the chance to meet his asking
    price. So i agreed . And the rest they say is history. I travelled to see the car, and was delighted
    that i had bought it. I had the pleasure of meeting Alfa and his mother, lovely, lovely people.

Great experience..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Anatom

Great thread Alfa, keep it going!

Kadman, I am already looking forward to seeing how the restoration goes over the coming months. I have great memories of those cars when I was a child.

This might be a strange question Alfa, but did you by any chance find any cylinder lawnmowers that your father might have ever bought / kept in those sheds of his? I don't have the space for a tractor...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

kadman wrote: »
    I had the pleasure of meeting Alfa and his mother, lovely, lovely people.

I think we all got the sense that they were from this thread .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

This thread just keeps on giving :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

I honestly think it's the best thread I've ever seen on boards.

Except for Trent of course.

The legend of Trent will never be topped!!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,342 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I can't believe you haven't read the sunk boat and restore thread, or the boat sink and recover attempt thread.... but if you mean car-wise, then that's fair enough. Love the thread, too, btw, op. Fair play and hats off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

The legend of Trent will never be topped!!
    Um. Who? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,360 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Oh dear - has the potential to take away my evening:D

Anatom wrote: »
    This might be a strange question Alfa, but did you by any chance find any cylinder lawnmowers that your father might have ever bought / kept in those sheds of his? I don't have the space for a tractor...

Yep. There's this one:

IMG-5543.jpg

IMG-5544.jpg

Yep. There's this one:

IMG-5543.jpg

IMG-5544.jpg

You Sir, are a veritable magician, you are liable to pull anything out of that shed:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

New Home wrote: »
    I can't believe you haven't read the sunk boat and restore thread, or the boat sink and recover attempt thread.... but if you mean car-wise, then that's fair enough. Love the thread, too, btw, op. Fair play and hats off.

Where did I say I haven't?

Zero wheel drive, one careful owner, low mileage, in need of some restoration :)

The boat build thread is here:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055963665

Amazing workmanship there. And a very poignant thread to read all the way through.

Life ain't always empty.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,342 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

His other boat thread is here: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057583016

Cruiser restauration and wheelchair access, or something.

VW Variant was delivered today.

Its a cracking car with great potential. I am well chuffed I got it.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

kadman wrote: »
    VW Variant was delivered today.

Its a cracking car with great potential. I am well chuffed I got it.:cool:

I look forward to the thread.

Just popped off the front wheel to free a seized disc. And as Type 3's go, its very good here.

And a few more pics...[IMG][/img]2928xDN.jpg

Power washed here,

XWydHZQ.jpg

Welcome home,

8zMdPx5.jpg

• Advertisement

4ftvhd0.jpg

Judging by the amount of sand in the lower front part of the wing here, I would hazard a guess that many a happy hour was spent beachcombing in this car:)

CCPKPd4.jpg

Now burrying my jack in sand :P And still preserving the original paint beneath

Q16NrKS.jpg

Advertisement