Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Self Isolation in the Scottish Highlands

• 22-07-2020 9:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

Hi,

I had planned to get the ferry from Belfast to Scotland. No accommodation booked as i will be traveling in my own car with my son, and hiking and camping in the Scottish Highlands.

I would find this a better option that hitting the any beach in Ireland, and you cant camp where you like here.

It is just the 2 of us and I work from home, so self isolation on return is no issue at all.

Can anyone advise if they have done anything similar and how was the crossing/ border checks etc?

Thank you in advance.

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."-Oscar Wilde

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭theological

noraos wrote: »
    Hi,

I had planned to get the ferry from Belfast to Scotland. No accommodation booked as i will be traveling in my own car with my son, and hiking and camping in the Scottish Highlands.

I would find this a better option that hitting the any beach in Ireland, and you cant camp where you like here.

It is just the 2 of us and I work from home, so self isolation on return is no issue at all.

Can anyone advise if they have done anything similar and how was the crossing/ border checks etc?

Thank you in advance.

From Belfast to Scotland I would imagine there will be no border checks, and no requirement for isolation either because both are in the UK.

Are you returning to NI or the Republic after the trip? I guess you'll be going through Belfast and then across the border if you're in the Republic. To follow the spirit of the rules you should isolate on return but you probably won't need to fill in any documentation on this because you'll be entering NI and then driving to the Republic afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

You will still be getting out of the car on the ferry and mixing with a lot of people. Just camp in Ireland

http://www.totalcampingireland.ie/en/component/content/article/34-county/398-wild-camping-spots-map-ireland-a-northern-ireland.html

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭noraos

From Belfast to Scotland I would imagine there will be no border checks, and no requirement for isolation either because both are in the UK.

Are you returning to NI or the Republic after the trip? I guess you'll be going through Belfast and then across the border if you're in the Republic. To follow the spirit of the rules you should isolate on return but you probably won't need to fill in any documentation on this because you'll be entering NI and then driving to the Republic afterwards.

Yes, we will get the ferry back to Belfast and then drive home to cork.

The common travel area rules seems to apply to us ref quarantine and documentation, ie we dont need any. But for safety sake, i will restrict movement when I return.

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."-Oscar Wilde

You will still be getting out of the car on the ferry and mixing with a lot of people. Just camp in Ireland

http://www.totalcampingireland.ie/en/component/content/article/34-county/398-wild-camping-spots-map-ireland-a-northern-ireland.html

Thank you for the link.

We are avid campers and have camped all 32 counties. We have been out this year mid week to avoid the crowds, but it is still extremely busy, with young people drinking and most times the gardai are around, as wild camping is illegal here. In Scotland it is not. - i have never had this issue til now, most places were not as busy, but everyone is camping nowadays.

Campsite are mostly full, or keeping for their regulars. We always shop for supplies before we go, as to be in the wild for a number of days, you need to be very prepared. And would not leave anything to get last minute.

Ferry crossings yes, but I would be interacting with more people at home tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Edinburgh resident here, keep in mind a lot of Scottish folk will and have been heading to the Highlands themselves due to wanting to stay at home this year.

The lockdown was taken pretty seriously here and it's still not freely open yet, the Highlands and Islands in particular are very sensitive to it all (Skye was hit horribly with a care home there) so keep that in mind with regard to any frosty receptions you get!

As long as you keep safe and distant, I hope you enjoy it.
    If could drop some bottles of Tanora at Cairnryan port I'll swing by for them ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

There's a lot of commons and open spaces and off the beaten track place's in the west of Ireland.

I live near the coast and there's coves and hidden beaches in a lot of places.
    I suppose being a local and an intrepid rock hopping lure angler I'm well familiar with bockedy boren's and grassy road's.

They're there if you find a map, best time to travel would be early on a Monday morning..

But you're a grown up and entitled to do what you think is right, I wouldn't be asking for advice on board's about doing grow up things and you sound like your responsible.

Kid's will remember good holiday, don't mind the virtual curtain twitchers who'll be resentful or guilt shaming you into otherwise.

I only posted about the West of Ireland as an observation.

What ever you do enjoy your break...

razorblunt wrote: »
    Edinburgh resident here, keep in mind a lot of Scottish folk will and have been heading to the Highlands themselves due to wanting to stay at home this year.

The lockdown was taken pretty seriously here and it's still not freely open yet, the Highlands and Islands in particular are very sensitive to it all (Skye was hit horribly with a care home there) so keep that in mind with regard to any frosty receptions you get!

As long as you keep safe and distant, I hope you enjoy it.
    If could drop some bottles of Tanora at Cairnryan port I'll swing by for them ;-)

Haha, if I could stop my young fella from drinking it all, I most certainly would. Tanora Gin is what you should be requesting :) Thank you for the Scottish input as its also one of my concerns, I dont want anyone to feel uncomfortable with us being there. I am very torn.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Just my personal opinion, now is not the time to be visiting isolated rural areas. Even though you might take precautions, you are increasing their risk and potentially making people very nervous - you may also be visiting shops, petrol stations, might need help from mountain rescue in a worst case. They don't have the medical resources in those areas to cope with Covid outbreaks.

The traditional tourist areas are perhaps a different matter as they are expecting to get visitors, and have a local economy dependent on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,776 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Who do you think you are, the Queen of England?

Don't go to the UK. You have to pass through ports, ferries, shops etc. Stay the eff at home and be thankful you haven't bigger problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Ultima Thule

Just dont go to Sligo what ever you do!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭theological

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Who do you think you are, the Queen of England?

Don't go to the UK. You have to pass through ports, ferries, shops etc. Stay the eff at home and be thankful you haven't bigger problems.

Let's break this down. I hear the thrust of your point.

However, if Scotland have decided that people from Ireland don't need to quarantine that is a matter for Scotland. In terms of the risk in the places that you described.

Port - you're in your car which is extremely low risk.

Ferry - arguably much much better than being on a plane precisely because you can be on the deck for much of the journey and keep ventilated. The crossing from Larne to Cairnryan is 2 hours. The crossing from Belfast is 2 hours 20 minutes. This is relatively short and if one was careful it is possible to cross safely.

Shops - you're in the supermarket anyway in Ireland. I don't see why the risk would be more substantial in Ireland.

If the OP is willing to isolate in Cork afterwards and honour the spirit of the guidance this could be safe. I would say that it is quite a long journey though.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭bob mcbob

My sister lives on one of the Hebridean islands and she was saying that some of the campsites there are not opening this year due to Covid restrictions around toilets / showers.

This may result in a lot more wild campers than normal from necessity.

Due to some irresponsible wild campers (parking & litter) and overuse, there are restrictions in some areas (Trossachs).

If you intend to do it make sure you have a plan.

https://www.visitscotland.com/accommodation/caravan-camping/wild-camping/

Advertisement