Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visiting Ardfert, Banna and Ballyheigue

• 20-07-2020 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭

I'll be staying in Ardfert for a couple of nights next month. It'll be my first time in that part of Kerry and the plan is to relax, walk the beaches and stay away from people as much has possible. It will just be me and my two dogs.

I'll be staying in a small one room studio in the centre of Ardfert with no real cooking facilities, plus eating out is tricky with the dogs. Can anyone recommend a good takeaway or a pub that does takeaway?

As for beaches, Banna and Ballyheigue look stunning and I plan to visit them both. Are there public toilets at both beaches? Which is generally quieter? I'll be there mid-week.

Finally - can you walk from Banna beach to Ballyheigue? Looking at it on Google maps, there's a stream or river dividing them, but I can't tell if it's passable or not.

Thanks in advance for any info or suggestions. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭barryribs

Its a very small stream at low tide, and you can walk from Ballyheigue all the way down beyond Banna and round the bend to Barrow. It's really a lovely walk, the dogs will love it. As far as I know, there are toilets on Ballyheigue but not on Banna, but I'm not even sure if these will be open.

Kate Browns in Ardfert is a really nice restaurant, and theres seating outside so you might get away with the dogs there if its quiet. Theres a takeaway on the left on the road out to Banna too, but never gotten anything from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭conor05

All the locals in Ardfert, Banna and Ballyheigue love hurling so you will see plenty of people with Hurley’s no doubt.

There is a few places to eat in Ballyheigue also.

It is a lovely part of the world in this area of North Kerry, beaches are beautiful and don’t get too packed.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

Thanks both.
    barryribs wrote: »
    Its a very small stream at low tide, and you can walk from Ballyheigue all the way down beyond Banna and round the bend to Barrow. It's really a lovely walk, the dogs will love it. As far as I know, there are toilets on Ballyheigue but not on Banna, but I'm not even sure if these will be open.

Brilliant, that's exactly what I was hoping with regards to the stream. And good point about the toilets being closed. I may have to improvise :D
    conor05 wrote: »
    It is a lovely part of the world in this area of North Kerry, beaches are beautiful and don’t get too packed.

Good to know, I was hoping it'd be somewhat quieter that other beaches.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,298 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I think Kate browne's were doing take out during the lockdown for a while, so I'm sure they would do it if you didn't want to eat in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

There are toilets at Banna. Just outside the car park.

Fenit island is worth a visit. Nice drive out and it's quiet

• Advertisement

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    I think Kate browne's were doing take out during the lockdown for a while, so I'm sure they would do it if you didn't want to eat in.

Thanks, lots of people have recommended Kate Brown's so I'll check in with them when I get there.

There are toilets at Banna. Just outside the car park.

Fenit island is worth a visit. Nice drive out and it's quiet

Fenit looks beautiful - exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for. Definitely worth a visit. Cheers.

Thanks, lots of people have recommended Kate Brown's so I'll check in with them when I get there.

Fenit looks beautiful - exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for. Definitely worth a visit. Cheers.
    Go out to the island. There is a causeway with the beach to the left over the hill.
    You can walk in a loop

Go out to the island. There is a causeway with the beach to the left over the hill.
    You can walk in a loop

I've been looking at it on Google maps and will definitely go out to the island. Is it accessibly at high tide or is that something I need to be mindful of? And is there a path or something all the way around the island?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭deuces wild

You can walk from Banna to Ballyheigue but please use the bridge to cross over the stream......

I've been looking at it on Google maps and will definitely go out to the island. Is it accessibly at high tide or is that something I need to be mindful of? And is there a path or something all the way around the island?

You can't go onto the island proper as it's private property.
    You can walk back into fenit harbour from the beach on the causeway and then back around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭amadain

Visiting Ardfert, Banna and Ballyheigue.....and FENIT too !

bluecherry74,

"Fenit looks beautiful - exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for. Definitely worth a visit"

How did you get on in FENIT.

.....'grab a coffee' or snack at NAVO or 'have lunch' in the WEST END Bar & Restaurant (or did you stop in at the Tankard, Spa Seafoods or the Oyster Tavern to get a drink or food on the way back to Ardfert ?

Advertisement