Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second hand tractors are gone expensive

• 21-07-2020 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭

I've been looking around for a 120 hp tractor and loader. Something like a mxm/TM 120 or a massey 6465 or something. Valtra n121 and john Deere are crazy money. About 25 k is my budget for something under 7000 hours. Any recommendations for anything in particular? Claas maybe? Prices seem to have risen alot in the last 6 months. Maybe they have peaked? I'm in no mad rush in buying.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭Grueller

straight wrote: »
    I've been looking around for a 120 hp tractor and loader. Something like a mxm/TM 120 or a massey 6465 or something. Valtra n121 and john Deere are crazy money. About 25 k is my budget for something under 7000 hours. Any recommendations for anything in particular? Claas maybe? Prices seem to have risen alot in the last 6 months. Maybe they have peaked? I'm in no mad rush in buying.

I am on the hunt for a tractor this year or so. I have given it up now as €35k is entry level for a ten year old machine with north of 6000 hours.
    I have made my mind up to sit tight and buy new in a year or two. I only do 500 hours per year so a new machine will last me twenty plus years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭straight

Grueller wrote: »
    I am on the hunt for a tractor this year or so. I have given it up now as €35k is entry level for a ten year old machine with north of 6000 hours.
    I have made my mind up to sit tight and buy new in a year or two. I only do 500 hours per year so a new machine will last me twenty plus years.

A new 120 hp massey is approx 95k so I don't think so. A 1999 6410 with 9k hours is 25k and no loader. My neighbour bought on with a loader 10 years ago for 25k and 2k hours less

• Registered Users Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭White Clover

In the current issue (August) of Classic Tractor, S.Cheers engineering in the UK have a 2006 Massey 6465, 2500 hours, dyna 6, tyres look good STG£21995 + 20% VAT.
    Good value I think considering the hours.

A new 120 hp massey is approx 95k so I don't think so. A 1999 6410 with 9k hours is 25k and no loader. My neighbour bought on with a loader 10 years ago for 25k and 2k hours less

Brand new case maxxum 115 with a case lrz 120 loader on board is €83k including vat and is imo a mile ahead of the massey.
    I have a trade in and the payments are €9800 per year for 7 years. I am on the high tax bracket so effectively the repayment costs me sub €5k after the tax write off. It is tempting to me.

In the current issue (August) of Classic Tractor, S.Cheers engineering in the UK have a 2006 Massey 6465, 2500 hours, dyna 6, tyres look good STG£21995 + 20% VAT.

I would struggle to believe those hours to be honest and I don't know enough to trust myself on inspecting something like it.
    She is also about €29k with sterling converted to euros and VAT included. Add a good second hand loader at €6I and its into €35k again.

• Advertisement

Keep 5K aside to replace concave washers in the dyna 6

Nice tractor here,loader brackets.....dunno what cost of loader would be

https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/case-mxu-115-turbo/25243278?campaign=3

I would struggle to believe those hours to be honest and I don't know enough to trust myself on inspecting something like it.

No doubt it'd need a good checking over. In my experience, genuine uk companies are very genuine.

Seems to be good value in the uk at the moment alright.

Keep 5K aside to replace concave washers in the dyna 6

Nice tractor here,loader brackets.....dunno what cost of loader would be

https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/case-mxu-115-turbo/25243278?campaign=3

5k sounds very high. What's involved that'd bring the bill to that? Just curious is all.
    If a lad was anyway mechanically minded he'd split and do alot of joining the tractor back together again.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Teddy 1234

Brand new case maxxum 115 with a case lrz 120 loader on board is €83k including vat and is imo a mile ahead of the massey.
    I have a trade in and the payments are €9800 per year for 7 years. I am on the high tax bracket so effectively the repayment costs me sub €5k after the tax write off. It is tempting to me.

I taught i priced that tractor and it was costing €95000 all in

• Advertisement

Teddy 1234 wrote: »
    I taught i priced that tractor and it was costing €95000 all in

Try Cooney Furlong in Enniscorthy.
    16 x 16 transmission
    Cab suspension, no front axle suspension
    3 speed pto
    Low profile cab
    Air seat
    Push back hitch
    Soft drive, multi dock and 3rd service on the loader
    €83k

5k sounds very high. What's involved that'd bring the bill to that? Just curious is all.
    If a lad was anyway mechanically minded he'd split and do alot of joining the tractor back together again.

Its a series of washers at back of gearbox (8 iirc) that reset the transmission/packs when you select neutral,(split under cab)......

Some dyna boxes been known to eat selectors/syncros too,....if you can split/do it yourself,likely save thousands on labour tbf

16 x 16 transmission
    3 speed pto
    Low profile cab
    Air seat
    Push back hitch
    €83k

It's tempting in fairness when you see the price of 20 year old tractors

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Do they do finance to match the write off period?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,121 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

By the mid noughties most contractors were gone to 150hl tractors and to six cylinder as well. Anything that is a tidy tractor that is capable of yard and shed work is like gold dust. Dairy men had either started to contract out heavier work and gone or else were gone g
    For bigger tractors..

If you think it hard to source 120HP tractors try to source 80-100 HP tractors from 00 on. As well as lads either started to do more if not contracting hours climbed

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

16 x 16 transmission
    3 speed pto
    Low profile cab
    Air seat
    Push back hitch
    €83k
    What do they quote for longterm hire ie 12months or 1-1.2k hours as thats the way its going over here. Put alot of hours on a tractor for a steady base load and hire in for peak workloads.
    Guesing the annual cost same as repayments but the tractor would always be 1-2 years old, no servicing/repair cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Downtown123

Not meaning to be harsh but you wont get a 120hp tractor with a loader newer than 2002 realistically for 25k- you might get the 7000hrs but even then they'll be mad money, If you want a tm/mxm with those kinda hours and a loader you're talking 35k unfortunately. You might get a tm120 classic with a loader for 30k.
    McMurray tractors up north do have nice stuff.
    This may be a good website- just remember to add VAT at 20% for the UK prices -https://www.farmmachinerylocator.co.uk/listings/farm-machinery/for-sale/list/category/1109/tractors-100-hp-to-174-hp

Mooooo wrote: »
    Do they do finance to match the write off period?

7 years max. Write off period is 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

A massey 110hp 5711 global with a quickie loader and full dyna4 was under 70k when I got one a year ago. Possibly closer to 65k with the way the trade in went (price for my tractor seemed bit generous)

Not meaning to be harsh but you wont get a 120hp tractor with a loader newer than 2002 realistically for 25k- you might get the 7000hrs but even then they'll be mad money, If you want a tm/mxm with those kinda hours and a loader you're talking 35k unfortunately. You might get a tm120 classic with a loader for 30k.
    McMurray tractors up north do have nice stuff.
    This may be a good website- just remember to add VAT at 20% for the UK prices -https://www.farmmachinerylocator.co.uk/listings/farm-machinery/for-sale/list/category/1109/tractors-100-hp-to-174-hp

The likes of this Mxu would do me fine I think. I think the market is peaking. Might wait another 6 months or so.

https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/case-mxu-115-turbo/25243278

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭C0N0R

Quick question, have a tractor that’s fully depreciated, it I trade that tractor in is there a tax issue or how does it work?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭893bet

7 years max. Write off period is 8.

Is that just on new or could you do that for a 30 k second hand one?

893bet wrote: »
    Is that just on new or could you do that for a 30 k second hand one?

2and hand is the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭jntsnk

Do you you max out your pension contributions every year , surly it’s a better idea than buying a new piece of metal.

What do they quote for longterm hire ie 12months or 1-1.2k hours as thats the way its going over here. Put alot of hours on a tractor for a steady base load and hire in for peak workloads.
    Guesing the annual cost same as repayments but the tractor would always be 1-2 years old, no servicing/repair cost.

I don't know waffletraktor, but like I said, I do about 500 hours per year so to keep the tractor I would own her after 7 years and still have a fresh 3500 hour machine worth €40k minimum. At those hours she is still only about half way to a set of brakes and tyres so repairs should not be a big thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭20silkcut

Just after looking at Tom pemberton latest video. Never saw a man so drained. He was after mowing 60 acres . He was driving the 2007 hurliman tractor which in fairness is not a bad machine. But of course he gave the entire spring and early summer driving a brand new case 145.
    If you get used to comfort it’s obviously hard to go back.
    Note to self : don’t ever take out a fancy tractor on demo if your not buying it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

C0N0R wrote: »
    Quick question, have a tractor that’s fully depreciated, it I trade that tractor in is there a tax issue or how does it work?

Mu understanding is if you sell for more than the book value its classed as profit and so liable for tax.with trading its more of a greyer area as what was trade in valued at

• Registered Users Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭jaymla627

20silkcut wrote: »
    Just after looking at Tom pemberton latest video. Never saw a man so drained. He was after mowing 60 acres . He was driving the 2007 hurliman tractor which in fairness is not a bad machine. But of course he gave the entire spring and early summer driving a brand new case 145.
    If you get used to comfort it’s obviously hard to go back.
    Note to self : don’t ever take out a fancy tractor on demo if your not buying it.

Its like lads waxing lyricial about 110-90s and such used to run them and now have a case puma 160, you could do a 15 hour day in the case and you would be fresh as a daisy at the end, a few hours in a 110-90 and it would be like a lad took a sledge to you after driving it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TooOldBoots

The likes of this Mxu would do me fine I think. I think the market is peaking. Might wait another 6 months or so.

https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/case-mxu-115-turbo/25243278
    That tractor looks like it has a share of hours on it, seats are all torn which is a right sigh of high use. Tyres are bald too so factor in another 3k for a new set of shoes. Price is plus VAT and if so then theirs a fresh looking English McCormick MC115 at Pat healys in Cork for similar money https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/mccormick-mc115/20542386
    Far better tractor than the case as the McCormick has the Perkins 1104C-44T Engine which is Bomb proof

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭minerleague

In the market, like a lot it seems, for a fresh 2nd hand aswell. No wonder dealer sales can quote high figures if we're all chasing the same thing. my hips and back are shagged from driving 40 & 60 (will any tractor sold new today be going in 2080 :rolleyes: ) tractors. Think i'll break out the communion money any buy new
    and be done with it. Only thing is need to replace all bits of machinery with bigger shiny kit to go with it.
    whats with dealers offering only 3-6 months warranty with these "mint 2nd tractors"?

Advertisement