Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Changing Out shafts - Project X

Options
  • 20-07-2020 10:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I picked up a lovely set of Srixon irons a while back and they have project X 6.5 shafts, they are far to stiff for me and i am going to swap them out for some with more flex. Has anybody any experience of doing this and will be sell-able after they get replaced as they are quality shafts.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭tropics001

take a look on youtube, plenty of tutorials. i have heard mixed reports from simple enough to "never again".
    you'll need some equipment.
    might be worth getting a price off a local pro and comparing. if this is a one-off then maybe a better option, unless you're getting in to club building as a hobby.
    yes the removed shafts will be fine to sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

I did similar. Bought some used caloway heads with no shafts and fitted some used x100 shafts.

You obviously need epoxy.
    Check new shaft sizes match. There's some very similar sizes. eg .355 or .335 (at a quick glance both of these look the same)

Don't forget some Ferrules to make the look nice - I got these on gamolagolf.co.uk.

If you are buying used shafts, some that have decent grips already on them will keep your expense down. The ones I got were nackered, but it was nice to be able to put nice new ones on. I did this as a project and enjoyed the process and the personisation of it in some way, and the fact that they are "mine". I'd say your shafts will sell. However I suggest not buying clubs with shafts that are incorrect for you with a plan to reshaft. It's just hassle and expense. I was using other clubs while doing the project. I had the heads for months before actually using them on the course.

I did use shafting glass beads (it's like a fine glass dust that you sprinkle in the with epoxy as a filler/hardener) Some recommend against using this as sprinkling on too much (user error) will make it weaker and worse then not using any at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭A Shaved Duck?

tropics001 wrote: »
    take a look on youtube, plenty of tutorials. i have heard mixed reports from simple enough to "never again".
    you'll need some equipment.
    might be worth getting a price off a local pro and comparing. if this is a one-off then maybe a better option, unless you're getting in to club building as a hobby.
    yes the removed shafts will be fine to sell.

Yeah have been looking at some of the tutorials online and i am thinking about swapping in the regular shafts from my other set as they are fine.

But would be worried if i make a pigs ear of it this would end up with twice the work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭A Shaved Duck?

RoadRunner wrote: »
    I did similar. Bought some used caloway heads with no shafts and fitted some used x100 shafts.

You obviously need epoxy.
    Check new shaft sizes match. There's some very similar sizes. eg .355 or .335 (at a quick glance both of these look the same)

Don't forget some Ferrules to make the look nice - I got these on gamolagolf.co.uk.

If you are buying used shafts, some that have decent grips already on them will keep your expense down. The ones I got were nackered, but it was nice to be able to put nice new ones on. I did this as a project and enjoyed the process and the personisation of it in some way, and the fact that they are "mine". I'd say your shafts will sell. However I suggest not buying clubs with shafts that are incorrect for you with a plan to reshaft. It's just hassle and expense. I was using other clubs while doing the project. I had the heads for months before actually using them on the course.

Yeah thats def good advice, my existing clubs are still relatively new and i went for the new set with the logic i can see if they suit and worst case reshaft them but will be able to take my time.

When i hit the new srixon z585 irons right its clear the clubs are quality so putting a little bit of time and cash into them is the way to go. While i could swap out one set for the other i think investing in new shafts/grips is what im going for.. just have to makes sure herself doesnt notice and start asking questions.

• Advertisement

just have to makes sure herself doesnt notice and start asking questions.

To remove the shafts you'll need to heat up the iron heads near the hosel to breakdown the epoxy glue. Your gas hob will work perfectly for this. Keep turning while you're heating. Twist when hot. If they are graphite don't attempt this. This process raises eyebrows. Preparation is key - have a good backstory ready for if herself walks in on you midway through this :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ShivasIrons

Hi,

I picked up a lovely set of Srixon irons a while back and they have project X 6.5 shafts, they are far to stiff for me and i am going to swap them out for some with more flex. Has anybody any experience of doing this and will be sell-able after they get replaced as they are quality shafts.

If you haven't done this before don't do it, go to a clubmaker, it will save you time and hassle

Advertisement