Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Muzzle break at shooting range

Options
  • 17-07-2020 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭

Many on here using muzzle breaks at a shooting range. I was thinking about getting one for a 6.5 creedmoor but wouldn't want to piss everyone else off, I know they are not great to be beside someone using one.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Use one if you want, just consider your neighbour. Either space yourself well away from the next shooter or place a divide between ye.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭eoin.d

Are many using them at shooting ranges cass or it mostly moderators?

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Uinseann_16

Make sure your local range allows use of centrefire rifles without a moderator there can be some leniancy on these rules for vintage rifles or smaller rifles but it can be a courtesy thing i have always used a moderator on my 6.5 swede and my 308 at the range:p

eoin.d wrote: »
    Are many using them at shooting ranges cass or it mostly moderators?

I've no idea of numbers but the majority of people prefer a suppressor. All the advantages of a break with the added benefit of noise reduction.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Make sure your local range allows use of centrefire rifles without a moderator.............
    Do some ranges actually prohibit the use of a rifle without one? Never heard that before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Uinseann_16

Cass wrote: »
    Do some ranges actually prohibit the use of a rifle without one? Never heard that before.

Yes actually in the club rules now its taken with a pinch of salt ie you cant expect a lad with a mosin to moderate it etc..
    Not there for .22s just centrefire rifles
    Its due to noise pollution issues afaik:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

I've shot bullseye beside a 308 chambered semi auto with a muzzle brake.
    bullseye is fairly casual shooting so it was only a one off so it was more of a laugh than an issue, but I can definitely see how it could become one if the line was more competitive, or it was a regular thing.

Heck of a whack out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭German pointer

I used one on a .270 in a few competitions, the lads beside me didn't complain too much but they were using mods which at the time I could not licence so in the interest of fairness to reduce recoil it wasn't too much of an issue.

I used one on a .270 in a few competitions, the lads beside me didn't complain too much ..........

They were being polite. I stood next to you a couple of times while you were firing that yoke, and the only thing i was wondering was where the other 7 lads that normally man a howitzer were. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭The pigeon man

I think moderators should be encouraged instead of muzzle brakes. I remember a guy started firing with one beside me. The ear muffs just weren't reducing the sound enough. I had to put in plugs aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

extremetaz wrote: »
    I've shot bullseye beside a 308 chambered semi auto with a muzzle brake.
    bullseye is fairly casual shooting so it was only a one off so it was more of a laugh than an issue, but I can definitely see how it could become one if the line was more competitive, or it was a regular thing.

Heck of a whack out of it.

Proably Me...:D:D:D Must admit it is a loud beast with the tri prong muzzle break.I usually do use a can,but somtimes you gotta let the beast speak.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Grizzly 45 wrote: »

.....,but somtimes you gotta let the beast speak.

A few lads have been in the wrong place and at the wrong time of my yoke out on the hill..... usually once is enough for them to learn my etiquette.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭steyrman

Sporting rifle at the midlands today over half of the rifles had muzzle breaks fitted well spaced out not a problem

Proably Me...:D:D:D Must admit it is a loud beast with the tri prong muzzle break.I usually do use a can,but somtimes you gotta let the beast speak.

Ah yeah you had the mod there as well I think but there was some fitting issue or you were testing different ends for recoil or muzzle flip etc.. IIRC.

So as I say, it was a bit of craic on the occasion (and I remember getting a great chuckle out of it) but now that I've done it once, I wouldn't line out beside you given other options if it was the norm. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

I'll be honest.

No one likes to be anywhere near the guy with the muzzle break.

Its horrible, even with plugs and muffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

extremetaz wrote: »
    Ah yeah you had the mod there as well I think but there was some fitting issue or you were testing different ends for recoil or muzzle flip etc.. IIRC.

So as I say, it was a bit of craic on the occasion (and I remember getting a great chuckle out of it) but now that I've done it once, I wouldn't line out beside you given other options if it was the norm. :D

Muzzle flip on my yoke?:D weighs about 8 lbs with a fwd grip,and about 8.5 with the can.Nah wasnt me then!Thats the last thing Id be worried about on that gun.:D:D

Be more worried about its nasty habit of throwing "Valkyrie kisses"IE hot ejected brass onto anyone misfortunate to my right.:D
    Its in the HK91 leauge for throwing brass .HK shooters go and collect their brass out in the parking lot .:D

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭hiddenmongoose

Muzzle brake (Not break!!).
    They will become even more common with the rise of PRS Style shooting, nobody competing at a decent level in PRS uses a suppressor. Suppressors heat up and throw up mirage causing the TGT to distort and it is then hard to see your own impacts, they also move the center of balance away from the center of the rifle which is not what you want when shooting off unstable props/barricades. Some suppressors cause POI to walk as they get hot over typical PRS volume stage strings and time constraint.( ever ran a lightweight suppressor like a hausken hot at say 800m..watch the wild flyers you get !)

I don't see peoples problem, move a little further away from the shooter with a brake if it annoys you. Seriously lads it isn't a big deal, I have shot comps alongside Desert techs running 375 cheytac I think we can handle a few deer cals on the line beside us here.

As to the OP looking to get one on a 6.5cm..why do you want one? is the question you need to ask. 6.5cm has very little recoil in fairness, guys run them on their 6.5cm in PRS to help reduce to as little as possible the (already small)recoil especially off of barricades and they don't want the negatives that I have stated above of a suppressor.
    If you are not doing this kind of competition then there is probably no real benefit, unless you have cut your barrel really short and now it is a little more barky. If you are hunting you are increasing noise and are probably better off with a suppressor as you will be firing a low volume of shots.
    At the end of the day its your rifle and do whatever you want with it, don't worry about what others think. The above info might help in your decision as to whether it will offer you any advantages or disadvantages.

Nah wasnt me then!Thats the last thing Id be worried about on that gun.:D:D

More likely I'm misremembering - can't be too many 308 semi's about. :cool:

Advertisement