Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA 2K21 / NBA Live 21

• 30-06-2020 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29,437 ✭✭✭✭

2K21 cover announced for CURRENT gen, makes it sound like next gen version will be different enough maybe. No idea if Live 21 will happen but adding it to the title in case it does get announced.

So, what are things you want in 2K21 besides the usual VC Bollox?

https://twitter.com/NBA2K/status/1277966443875725314?s=19

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,238 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Suppose Zion will be the 'Next Gen' cover. Makes sense really.

Same old thing for yearly releases unfortunately. Not much can be improved on.

MyTeam has been saturated with Legends, Diamond, Pink Diamond, Galaxy Opal cards etc.. It's ruined

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I just finished watching the Michael Jordan documentary on netflix and have an itch for a basketball game now, Is there a career mode? whats it like?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,437 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Callaway, yeah my team gets flooded with great cards, really takes away from building up a squad.

Sephiroth, yupp the career usually has a prologue story mode that sees you getting to the nba. Then it's regular seasons with cutscenes thrown in now and then. Nba 2k20 is free for ps plus to users next week, definitely recommend giving it a go.

The big problem is that career is linked with park streetball mode and you can pay to upgrade your character quickly or grind it out. Most people who want to play park will pay to get an advantage and others pay just to have a better player in career mode, ****ty system.

As for the Jordan doc, you can play as those historic teams as well, 90's nba was the best!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 22,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Won't this be absolutely riddled with insane amounts of microtransactions again? 2K certainly seem to be the kings of that ****e now.

Kiith wrote: »
    Won't this be absolutely riddled with insane amounts of microtransactions again? 2K certainly seem to be the kings of that ****e now.

No doubt, they make ridiculous amounts of money from it and the 2K ceo has a clause where he gets bonuses per mtx sold.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

I just finished watching the Michael Jordan documentary on netflix and have an itch for a basketball game now, Is there a career mode? whats it like?

NBA 2K20 is coming free on ps plus next tuesday i heard

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Zero-Cool wrote: »

As for the Jordan doc, you can play as those historic teams as well, 90's nba was the best!

It certainly seems like it was a great era for basketball.

callaway92 wrote: »
    Suppose Zion will be the 'Next Gen' cover. Makes sense really.

Confirmed Zion for Next Gen cover

Wuff Wuff wrote: »
    NBA 2K20 is coming free on ps plus next tuesday i heard

And it’s a smart move on their end.

Literally nothing to lose. Sales probably have come to nothing at this stage. If they could get 50,000 people to download it, if 100 of them start spending money on it then it’s happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,765 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Won't even consider it until I hear about the VC process, if it's anything like 20 I won't purchase until it's a fiver again. About 60 hours in and I'm still only 78 overall, too much of a grind to get anywhere near a decent level, and I don't even play Park, etc because what's the point until your character is at least in the 90's.

• Advertisement

We honour Kobe.....by charging more for his cover.

https://twitter.com/NBA2K/status/1278691246123425792?s=19

Won't even consider it until I hear about the VC process, if it's anything like 20 I won't purchase until it's a fiver again. About 60 hours in and I'm still only 78 overall, too much of a grind to get anywhere near a decent level, and I don't even play Park, etc because what's the point until your character is at least in the 90's.

There wasnt as much of a grind this year.

I ended up getting a C to 93, two PGs around 90 and had a few other positions I got into the high 80s. In previous years I barely had my only player near 90.

The key is to play 5 min quarters, if you're playing full length games you wont get that much more per game as the salary/player ratings are capped in terms of VC per game.

My main issue is the Park and its whole set up. If you're starting off people will just jump off ready if you jump on, theres very little point playing the park alone. You'll end up playing with some clown shooting 1:10 and not adjusting.
    I read they were changing the park so let's see what they do with that.

The idea of park is great but it doesn't work as you're waiting 10 minutes for a game only for people to avoid you if you don't 'look' good and then when you do get a games, you have to deal with glory hunters who are ****. Best bet is to squad up but it's rare you get enough people even on here for a few games.

NBA live has it best. Street ball that auto matchmakes you into a game. Still has glory hunters but at least there's no waiting

The problem is, people but VC to show off their character in park and now vc to upgrade them to make them good (even though they're still ****) so there's no way they are getting rid of it I'd say. It would be great if they even had separate parks for ratings like noobs 60-70, amateur, 71-80 etc. But the park in 2k20 was always dead when i loaded in as it was, bunch of people standing around probable browsing menus.

There's actually something I'd love if they would include it in the career mode of all the next NBA games. The ability to turn off the timeout and half time bits. Wrecks my bean having to sit and wait for 15 seconds on each timeout before you can skip it. I get it's to make it feel more realistic, but it adds unnecessary time to playing a game. I like playing full length games, but with all the added time it makes them too long. Should at least make them immediately skipable as they start to repeat or talk about players I've no interest in!!

Jesus, i spend more time pressing x to skip stupid presentation scenes. I'm convinced it's so they can force more add time for their sponsors.

I prefer nba live for the simple reason i can boot it up, great straight into a game whether offline or online, okay to 21, have a good time and jump into another game if i so wish.

I always feel burned out after 1 game of 2k for how long it is.

Add in practice and it extends it even longer, and the weekly training in the GATORADE TRAINING FACILITY (which, if I manage to get the extra boost from training, I find I get tired quicker...)! Most days I usually just play one game. If I could skip all that craic, I'd probably play 2-3 games a day. And it's a shame, because the gameplay is basically perfect.

On the plus side, I've broken the record for highest points by a rookie in a single game, and I'm probably going to be in the dunk contest! Just taking ages to get there!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

I would love if you can play a cut down season in MyCareer. 82 games plus the playoffs is too much for me, even on 4 or 5 minute quarters (and I don't want to sim games).

Also, as I mostly played MyPark alone, it's a huge waste of time. You end up playing with randomers who ball hog and won't play as a team. That's if you can find a game, because nobody wants to play if you haven't sunk a huge amount of VC into your player.

I'd love to see how many hours I've put into 2K20, but on PS4 it's not possible apparantly, but is on PC/Xbox. I play all 12 minute quarters, and I've easily 25+ hours put in I reckon, and not even at the All Star games in my Rookie Year yet!

v3ttel wrote: »
    I would love if you can play a cut down season in MyCareer. 82 games plus the playoffs is too much for me, even on 4 or 5 minute quarters (and I don't want to sim games).

That's a feature you were able to do in Live. Was a nice one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

callaway92 wrote: »
    That's a feature you were able to do in Live. Was a nice one.

Yeah, I loved that option in Live. It's actually a key thing for me. I would like to get multiple years into a career, but even with 4 minute quarters, that's about 20-25 minutes per game (including timeouts, half time, free throws, etc).

That's like 30 hours per season, not including cut-scenes, training, or the playoffs. It's too much of a grind for me to get through a single season now, nevermind one.

Would love if they included this. It's an option when playing MyLeague at least which is what I mostly played in 2K20, just because I could get multiple seasons in.

• Advertisement

The worst part of the long play sessions needed is that half your time is watching some presentation or add or loading screen. I need quick games, in and out and onto the next. I don't want to walk around a neighborhood looking for practice facility. Speaking of the hood, that should be kept completely separate to career mode unless there are optional NPC's you can find/talk to who can unlock more things but keep it so that people who want to just play bball never have to touch it.

The fact it's integrated with online play takes so much away from it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Corvo

MyCareer is definitely one of my favourite modes and I do genuinely like the grind at the start. I think you are probably better off bumping up the difficulty and mins per quarter for all of your first season and play each and every game and take in as much VC / Stat Boosts etc as you can.

After a certain level you and your team will just steam roll everyone and you don't need as much VC so secure the play-offs and sim the rest of the season (bar All Star Games, Dunk Competitions etc) until the end of the season.

Agree on the Neighborhood section, needs to be separated away from MyCareer. If I want a pair of shoes or tattoo I don't want to have to actually go to the store myself, just give me a simplified in game menu.

Also, they need to really review how the game handles difficulty level changes. There is a massive difference between the shooting success percentages between say All-Star to SuperStar difficulty, and again for Hall of Fame. That success percentage also seems to hit your team quite hard. I'm in my 4th season on a Lakers team with Le Bron - 98, Jason Tatum - 91, Luka Doncic - 99 and Marvin Bagley - 88 and my own player is 98 rated. We shouldn't be missing shots regularl just because of a difficulty bump.

NBA 2K21 demo live on the stores now. It's 30gb though. Play 5 quick games or start your My Player and try them out.

Played 1 game and uninstalled it. Absolute copy and paste of last year. Will hold off until the next gen version details.

Played 1 game and uninstalled it. Absolute copy and paste of last year. Will hold off until the next gen version details.

Yeah I was the same... I didnt even finish the game.
    I have no interest playing the AI in 5v5 and doing a test build game had no appeal either.

I'll likely get it next week anyway but yes I didnt notice anything new in the little bit I played.
    Having said that I played 20 until recently so there wasnt much wrong - they just need to make the park more appealing to individuals.

Apparently they're one of the only producers not including a free upgrade for the next gen(not does your player carry over) but that's still a few months away.

I think they make too much money off Park in it's toxic state to ever change it of people paying 60 quid on launch just to boost your player to 85 to get ahead of others and join the elite club where people won't play with you if you're under an 80.

Also, you can get a 'free' upgrade to next gen if you buy the 100 euro Mamba edition :rolleyes:

Also, the Ultimate Team completely crosses over to Next Gen which is good but it's career mode I want to see. If next gen releases in November, I can wait a couple of months to get the next gen version. The extra 10 quid won't bother me as I'm sure I can find it cheaper than RRP anyway.

Career/Park trailer. Junior has to be the best nickname they've ever come out with and makes sense to the story that you're the son of an Bball legend.

Park looks nice and flashy but same ol ****. Empty courts, waiting 10+ minutes for a game while the majority of players on the server are running around like eejits.

https://twitter.com/NBA2K/status/1299346520391573504?s=19

2K confirmed that the next gen version was rebuilt from the ground up. This could justify the copy, paste and reskin of the current gen version. Will be interesting to see what next gen offers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

2K confirmed that the next gen version was rebuilt from the ground up. This could justify the copy, paste and reskin of the current gen version. Will be interesting to see what next gen offers.

They did that in 2k14 on the switch to ps4 didn't they,

I remember the ps4 game being much better than the ps3

• Advertisement

Wuff Wuff wrote: »
    They did that in 2k14 on the switch to ps4 didn't they,

I remember the ps4 game being much better than the ps3

I never played the ps3 version, waited for the ps4 version which was a huge jump over previous games alright. Dev said park progress in current gen won't cross over to next gen as there is no beach, they have something new and crazy for that. Hhmmmm riddled with VC no doubt but I'm interested to see what they have going on.

Advertisement