Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

F1 2020: Hungarian GP

12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,117 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Haas under investigation for use of driver aids during the formation lap - seems to be related to the call for the slicks during the formation lap.

If that's deemed as the driver not driving the car himself then Merc should be thrown out of race 1 as the 2 drivers were getting told what line to drive literally for lap after lap.

https://twitter.com/PHortonF1/status/1284897751143198720?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭recyclebin

When they said driver aids, I thought they were talking about some kind of illegal traction control. Not an engineer talking to his driver about engine modes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,786 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    If that's deemed as the driver not driving the car himself then Merc should be thrown out of race 1 as the 2 drivers were getting told what line to drive literally for lap after lap.

I mean I'm sure Hamilton was asking how to get to a certain point on the steering wheel to enter a setting he had been told (could be wrong but that's how it came across) today.
    The modern cars are massive driving aids in themselves. How far do you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,912 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Santan wrote: »
    I agree but even still, to give someone a car that is a second a lap faster than every other car, start that car ahead of all the others bar 1, and to give that type of performance and finish 3rd behind a car that all weekend both drivers have been complaining about its drive ability is pretty shameful. Look bottas is a handy no. 2 he will do ok in quali, do enough to secure 1st in the constructors it's perfect for Mercedes, it's all of us that lose out

He's an ideal no.2. Quali is strongest part of his game. He can sometimes pull off a really top level quali lap but his race pace is rarely as good. Lewis is actually not brilliant at quali but his race pace and tyre management is top notch

I mean I'm sure Hamilton was asking how to get to a certain point on the steering wheel to enter a setting he had been told (could be wrong but that's how it came across) today.
    The modern cars are massive driving aids in themselves. How far do you go.

I had it on, no sound, wasn't fully paying attention to it but every week the mercs drivers are told how to drive etc.

Lando was basically talked around the last lap inch by inch in Austria.

F1 it's own worst enemy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,064 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

https://twitter.com/PHortonF1/status/1284897751143198720?s=19

Seemingly aiding/coaching the driver is not permitted during the formation lap.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,614 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

Haas under investigation for use of driver aids during the formation lap - seems to be related to the call for the slicks during the formation lap.

10 second time penalty for both cars
    https://www.racefans.net/2020/07/19/grosjean-penalised-for-breaking-driver-aids-rule/

No penalty for Albon/RB for grid drying.

I had it on, no sound, wasn't fully paying attention to it but every week the mercs drivers are told how to drive etc.

Lando was basically talked around the last lap inch by inch in Austria.

F1 it's own worst enemy.

Coaching isn't permitted on the formation lap which is where the Haas situation is different to Lando etc.

Coaching isn't permitted on the formation lap which is where the Haas situation is different to Lando etc.

Haas penalties seem to be because the drivers were instructed to pit. All very strange stuff really.

• Advertisement

Haas penalties seem to be because the drivers were instructed to pit. All very strange stuff really.

Yeah that's not permitted. They were told to pit to change tires and thus the race strategy. That's not permitted during the formation lap.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

It's a stupid rule in any case, why is there a penalty during the formation lap but the rest of the time it's grand

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

2011 wrote: »
    From a phycological perspective Bottas has lost any hope of beating Hamilton in the championship.
    He just got lucky in the first race and he knows it.

I disagree. He was just 0.1 seconds behind him in qualifying. But for a bad mistake at the start today he could have been putting pressure on Lewis all race, though the way Lewis was able to baby his tyres by being in clean air did give him an advantage. I like Bottas and really want him to do well. I think Max is a better driver but with the car Bottas has he has a decent chance of challenging Lewis.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,183 ✭✭✭This is it

Just watched the highlights. Obviously some excitement in midfield, and a little at the end with Max and Bottas, but over all a thoroughly boring race.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

This is it wrote: »
    Just watched the highlights. Obviously some excitement in midfield, and a little at the end with Max and Bottas, but over all a thoroughly boring race.

Agreed. No action at the front. Such a pity it did not rain. Might have made it more exciting. Well done to Max and Red Bull do for getting P2. Was some nice racing between Leclerc and Lando and Carlos do I think in the midfield but otherwise it was boring.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,912 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I disagree. He was just 0.1 seconds behind him in qualifying. But for a bad mistake at the start today he could have been putting pressure on Lewis all race, though the way Lewis was able to baby his tyres by being in clean air did give him an advantage. I like Bottas and really want him to do well. I think Max is a better driver but with the car Bottas has he has a decent chance of challenging Lewis.

He was neck and neck in quali (I'd class anything under a tenth as being about equal). But quali is bottas strongest card. His race pace is rarely as good as Hamilton's and Hamilton can usually manage bottas without much trouble in the race. He tends to manage his tyres better too so he usually comes out on top in every aspect over bottas.

Bottas can occasional match Hamilton and if he starts in front AND can match him, he stands a chance of winning the race. But in general Hamilton has the pace over him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭d8491prj5boyvg

I think that was the most boring F1 race I've ever watched. Even with the threat of rain. Sky commentators were just doing a shift, everyone knew it was a bore.

Maybe it needs to become a formula where cars are bought off the shelf. I like the idea of what F1 tries to be but it fails and has done so for the majority of the last 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Just watched that after a nice day out on my motorbike, kind of ruined my Sunday.

Horrible race, and shaping up to be a stinker of a season...again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭Polar101

Yeah, it was another of those "cars drive around a circuit" -type of races. In the end the only excitement in the top three was "can Bottas catch Max" (never looked like there were enough laps) and will Hamilton's last pit stop cause an upset (no).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

The highlights went from lap 43 to the finish line in one cut. I'm assuming it was less than exciting overall

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Maybe it needs to become a formula where cars are bought off the shelf. I like the idea of what F1 tries to be but it fails and has done so for the majority of the last 20 years.

I watched the Porsche Supercup earlier in the morning and that had some excitement in it.

Then it would be just another spec series of which there are a load already out there.

Then it would be just another spec series of which there are a load already out there.

Maybe I should watch those. I'm a fan since the 90's but it seems the concept is flawed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Was this Stroll's best ever weekend?

His fans constantly rave about his Baku podium, ignoring the fact that he was on course to be well beaten by his team mate but for mechanical issues. This weekend he actually legitimately out-qualified and out-finished his team mate. He'll have to start doing it a lot more often for me to change my opinion of him, but still, credit where it's due.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

I would love to see a formula "unlimited".

Put in certain safety minimum standards for safety, but after that anything goes in terms of car design.

Could you imagine the things that would come out of development.

Maybe I should watch those. I'm a fan since the 90's but it seems the concept is flawed.

But there's always been dominance in F1. McLaren won every race bar 1 in 1988. Ferrari win 8 out of 10 constructors championships from 1999 to 2008. RBR and Vettel dominated the early 2010s. I know it isn't the most exciting thing in the world seeing Merc win race after race, but this isn't new to F1.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,138 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

But there's always been dominance in F1. McLaren won every race bar 1 in 1988. Ferrari win 8 out of 10 constructors championships from 1999 to 2008. RBR and Vettel dominated the early 2010s. I know it isn't the most exciting thing in the world seeing Merc win race after race, but this isn't new to F1.
    I think the difference is that Merc are competing with Merc. Schumacher had Hakkinen (McLaren) and Alonso (Renault) fighting as near equals, then Fernando and Renault got advantage to fight Schumacher/Ferrari off. Then McLaren/Ferrari again in 07/08....09 Brawn quick out the gates but chased by Red Bull. Then 2010's - 2013 Red Bull vs. Ferrari. The hybrid era while Merc dominated at least Ferrari/Red Bull were able to keep Merc somewhat honest but this year its Merc vs. Merc and Bottas is no Rosberg to actually trouble Hamilton. Max couldnt get near the Merc pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

The highlights went from lap 43 to the finish line in one cut. I'm assuming it was less than exciting overall
    I watched the 6 min highlight clip that Sky F1 put on YouTube - even that was boring :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

it was so boring they were driving around in a chain, and nowhere near top speed,
    the sport is really going backwards

• Advertisement

I think you've just proven my point :).

The spectacle at Hungary is the default for the sport. We can have the equivalent of 0-0 draws, mundane run of the mill affairs but this wasn't that. This was like a 7-0 drubbing that we have become used to.

We can celebrate the great races but really they are generally due to something unpredictable happening, not due to the best in the world slugging it out and going tit for tat (for example, the famous Schumacher-Hakkinen Suzuka qualifying session. That is what should be creating the excitement, not the weather).

Advertisement