Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fire at Nantes Cathedral

• 18-07-2020 8:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭

Nantes Cathedral, built in 1400s, reportedly now having major fire.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Mod

Moving posts to a new thread & to Current Affairs

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MonsterCookie

that's a shame!

Oh sorry, did not know if serious enough to warrant own thread. It looks like smoke now not flames so hopefully not as much damage as Notre Dame

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Still "out of control" five minutes ago

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

Follows Notre Dame from last year. What exactly is so flammable in cathedrals in France recently. Apart from a few wooden benches it's mostly just a load of stone?

2u2me wrote: »
    Follows Notre Dame from last year. What exactly is so flammable in cathedrals in France recently. Apart from a few wooden benches it's mostly just a load of stone?

The roof timbers,being several hundred years old maybe??

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Eduard Khil

Saint Pierre and Saint Paul cathedral very sad same place has had a roof fire in 1972 took over three years to repair beautiful building I'd love to do a tour of these buildings when the tourism industry is open again. Hopefully not too much damage is done this time

Saint Pierre and Saint Paul cathedral very sad same place has had a roof fire in 1972 took over three years to repair beautiful building I'd love to do a tour of these buildings when the tourism industry is open again. Hopefully not too much damage is done this time

Yes. I am not a Catholic and have not been to a Mass in over 3 decades but I always visit Cathedrals when abroad. Incredible atmospheres. Last year I visited a good few huge Orthodox cathedrals in Eastern Europe. Splendid places. It is horrible to see destructive blazes inside these grand buildings that have had such a cultural force in so many lives for so long. I believe Nantes Cathedral was badly affected by Allied bombing in 1944.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

https://www.rte.ie/news/world/2020/0718/1154072-nantes-cathedral-fire/

Apparently contained now.
    Hope not too much damage was done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

That doesn't explain the fires happening within a couple of years of each other though

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

biko wrote: »
    https://www.rte.ie/news/world/2020/0718/1154072-nantes-cathedral-fire/

Apparently contained now.
    Hope not too much damage was done.

From Euro News...

The "violent blaze" erupted "by the organ located behind the rose window", Ferlay explained.

"The roof has not been affected", he went on, adding: "the scenario is not comparable to Notre Dame".

This will be a relief for most French people still reeling from the devastating blaze 15 months earlier at Notre Dame cathedral in central Paris.

Contrary to the 850-year-old monument in the capital, which still had timber roof beams, the Cathedral of St. Peter and St Paul of Nantes had been renovated with concrete roof beams following a large fire in 1972 which had reduced the roof to ashes.

The renovation was only completed in 2013.

Firefighters are expected to remain on site for the rest of the day and have begun to assess the damage.

Just read that this cathedral had wooden roof beams replaced with concrete after 1972 fire. Seems to have broken out near rose window. I love the old gothic rose windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,783 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

That's sad, hopefully there's not too much damage

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DelaneyIn

TomTomTim wrote: »
    That doesn't explain the fires happening within a couple of years of each other though

On average, 3 catholic churches are vandalized in France per day. Be it beheaded statues, paint thrown on the floor, fires,...

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/vandalism-at-hundreds-of-french-churches-n509gwb0d

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

DelaneyIn wrote: »
    On average, 3 catholic churches are vandalized in France per day. Be it beheaded statues, paint thrown on the floor, fires,...

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/vandalism-at-hundreds-of-french-churches-n509gwb0d

France has an awful lot of problems in this area that the French media are afraid to discuss.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,197 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

The "violent blaze" erupted "by the organ located behind the rose window", Ferlay explained.

"The roof has not been affected", he went on, adding: "the scenario is not comparable to Notre Dame".

https://www.euronews.com/2020/07/18/large-fire-at-nantes-cathedral-in-france

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Gruffalox wrote: »
    Yes. I am not a Catholic and have not been to a Mass in over 3 decades but I always visit Cathedrals when abroad. Incredible atmospheres. Last year I visited a good few huge Orthodox cathedrals in Eastern Europe. Splendid places. It is horrible to see destructive blazes inside these grand buildings that have had such a cultural force in so many lives for so long. I believe Nantes Cathedral was badly affected by Allied bombing in 1944.

I do the same myself, not religious at all but the beauty in Catholic/Orthodox churches is undeniable.
    One of the most stunning I saw was in Bratislava. Dark oak and an incredible amount of Goldleaf. Bologna Italy as well, main square near the two towers. Beautiful.
    Christianity has given us some horrific practices but also the direct opposite some stunning and jaw dropping beauty.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,249 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Saw over on Twitter someone said it might have been an abuse victim who set the fire off but it was just a random poster who said it not don't know if its true or not.

• Advertisement

Saw over on Twitter someone said it might have been an abuse victim who set the fire off but it was just a random poster who said it not don't know if its true or not.

ah the internets says lots of things

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I do the same myself, not religious at all but the beauty in Catholic/Orthodox churches is undeniable.
    One of the most stunning I saw was in Bratislava. Dark oak and an incredible amount of Goldleaf. Bologna Italy as well, mean square near the two towers. Beautiful.
    Christianity has given us some horrific practices but also the direct opposite some stunning and jaw dropping beauty.

yeah likewise here, not religious at all but always seek out cathedrals when abroad. Gaudis Sagrada Familia and the Duomo in Milan being two particular highlights, both are stunning buildings. St.Pauls cathedral in London is another great one. Heard theres a good one in Salisbury too with a very tall spire ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭excludedbin

splinter65 wrote: »
    France has an awful lot of problems in this area that the French media are afraid to discuss.
    Opposition politicians have said that the country’s Christian heritage is being threatened by petty criminals encouraged by militant secularism. Critics say the issue is being ignored in a society over which Catholicism has lost the hold it had for centuries.
    Just not the ones you're thinking of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Muahahaha wrote: »
    yeah likewise here, not religious at all but always seek out cathedrals when abroad. Gaudis Sagrada Familia and the Duomo in Milan being two particular highlights, both are stunning buildings. St.Pauls cathedral in London is another great one. Heard theres a good one in Salisbury too with a very tall spire ;)

I've twice been in Barca twice mad that I never got to the GSF. Will do someday. Only took four trips to Rome to see the Pantheon.

I've twice in Barca twice mad that I never got to the GSF. Will do someday. Only took four trips to Rome to see the Pantheon.

well worth it, amazing building

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Muahahaha wrote: »

123 metres high. A fact known to every Russian schoolchild

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

x3 seperate ignition points, would have burnt to the ground without 100 firefighters arriving promply.
    This like so many similar incidents on both Christian and Jewish places of worship in France is another 'confirmed act of arson'.

DyVidqS.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭stinkypinky

Multiculturalism they said, it'll be grand they said.

• Advertisement

Multiculturalism they said, it'll be grand they said.

Free market, trickle down and rising tides, they said

Advertisement