Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Engine warning light Niro PHEV

Options
  • 17-07-2020 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭

Was driving the Niro home from West this afternoon and the engine warning light came on. Any ideas how I can get the error codes to figure out the problem?

Car is 18 months old and had a service just back in Feb. Driven a little since then (back to reasonably normal since mid June).

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

theres a 7 yr warrenty, just bring it back to the dealer,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭daheff

graememk wrote: »
    theres a 7 yr warrenty, just bring it back to the dealer,

Yeah I know. 7 yr warranty isn't on everything thing though....some is as little as 2/3 years.

Also I'm interested in finding out what the problem is prior to when I get an answer off the dealer. I'd like to research to see if the issue is a common problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Whast the light?

Check the oil?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,115 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Have you noticed any drop in power? Check the engine to see if any hoses around the air filter are loose or damaged. In reality without any symptoms or any obvious damage inside the engine it's a lost cause without a fault reader.

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Whast the light?

Check the oil?

Engine light- fixed rather than flashing (and not 'check' light).

No obvious symptoms. No power loss or anything.

Obv I'll go to the dealer to get it checked. Just hoped somebody might have an idea.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

have you an OBD2 reader? that may shine some light on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,625 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Never not have an OBD reader handy, it has saved me many headaches.

I let my OH drive her car alone for one of the first times :pac: and she calls me from the driveway in conniptions that the engine light is on shortly after we got it.

I have the BlueDriver brand OBD reader. The app scanned the car in a couple minutes (the OBD bus is on the slow side, or the dongle is a bear - but then, I always pick the "scan all modules" option, which looks for health status in the brake system, transmission, etc) but app came back with a straightforward answer: she had failed to screw the gas cap back on tight :D

graememk wrote: »
    have you an OBD2 reader? that may shine some light on it.

No I don't have one. Must invest in one at some stage.

I'll try opening/closing the petrol cap, but would be surprised if it's this, as I was 150km into my journey before the light came on!

Had a look in the engine, but couldn't see anything out of place/ loose either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭championc

Can the engine be disconnected min any way to turn it into a tiny range BEV ?

championc wrote: »
    Can the engine be disconnected min any way to turn it into a tiny range BEV ?

Yes. I can just use the electric engine. But warning light stays on.

Kia told me I can still drive with the warning light, just come in next week to have it assessed. I'm guessing it's probably some filter....or some sensor that got damaged during the service before lockdown has now failed

• Advertisement

Just to update on this for those interested

Light was due to an O2 sensor going off. They've cleaned it and reset it.

Hopefully that's the problem sorted. All covered under warranty thankfully.

Advertisement