Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pubs/restaurants strict on food and time?

Options
  • 14-07-2020 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭

Are there many open? Are they strict on food being purchased and time limits?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,667 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Yes (restaurants, not pubs).

Yes.

And yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭StonedRaider

Time limits- no. Was in a couple of places the past 2 weeks, and time was never mentioned even after 2 hours. PM for details

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I heard from a friend time limits weren't enforced in a local restaurant. They were there for nearly 3 hours and racked up quite a tab!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭TwoWheeledTim

Time limits not enforced, I have older relatives (60-70) that spent about 5hrs in a local pub serving food. They started with a meal and stayed on for several rounds of pints. When I asked if they were not asked to move on, they said they never knew of any time limit but for some reason the lights were flashed every so often!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Out recently for dinner at a pub/restaurant. Everything v safe, took numbers etc. we asked about the 2 hour rule and staff said “if the table isn’t booked we don’t enforce it”. We were there just over 3 hours.
    I think that’s the case and also if people aren’t ‘messy’ (therefore more likely to break distancing rules etc) they leave you be.
    Not necessarily a good things but in less popular (average food) or bigger restaurant/pubs you can probably stay longer. My dinner was more for the catch up than the food. I typically wouldn’t have chosen that venue for a meal, but it was big, lots of space and air circulation, and the food was perfectly good and tasty for pub food.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Title changed to reflect posts are not only about Eyre Square

My experience of places in the Eyre Square area is that time limits are being enforced. At least they were last week.

My experience of places in the Eyre Square area is that time limits are being enforced. At least they were last week.

Yes I was in a 'less busy' area for foot traffic, so I'd imagine it depends on both location and day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Depends on the sitting times. If you have a sitting at 5pm and they have a booking for 7pm then time limit may be enforced.
    But if you book the 7pm sitting you can probably stay as long as you want.
    I stayed in a restaurant and a pub/restuarant for 3 and 4 hours respectively in the past week.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,406 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Depends on the pub. Like everything else, it’s fast and loose. Pick a less manic, more traditional “old man’s” place and you’ll probably have a more relaxed evening.
    I was in one place where we had a meal and just about 2 drinks each and we were asked to leave after 70 mins. They obviously had the table booked again for 8pm.
    Whereas the previous Saturday evening I sat down in a different establishment at 7:30 and I didn’t leave till after last orders.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Time limits not enforced, I have older relatives (60-70) that spent about 5hrs in a local pub serving food. They started with a meal and stayed on for several rounds of pints. When I asked if they were not asked to move on, they said they never knew of any time limit but for some reason the lights were flashed every so often!

Just curious, why / how would they not know about the time limit? There's been a lot of publicity about it, and the various restrictions/ easing of same.

I think the decision to allow restaurants and pubs to open is starting to look a poor decision and maybe it’s time to lock them down again. Reproductive rate heading for 2 again.

I find it amazing people are actually going out to be honest and eating in pubs and restaurants, including people here saying they spent all evening out in a place. Even popping in for take away (the two times since March we have) or going to the shop I am super cautious and very wary of even touching things. No way would I eat in anywhere.

I fear people’s indifference is going to come back to bite.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Butterface

I haven't eaten out yet, however my sister was in a restaurant outside the city (really a pub selling pizza) the other evening and she said there was no management present in the place. She would be familiar with the owner/management, and only the young bar staff/waiters were present into the evening. They were not approached to leave after a few hours, and she said every table was occupied while they were there.

Hearsay and all, but I would expect a bar/restaurant to have a manager there or a senior member of staff monitoring the goings on in regards to managing numbers and time restrictions.

Edit: Just to add, hearsay is what I'll be going on when it does come to making a decision to eat out. If I'm hearing that these places are jammed or no management checking on it, obviously I will avoid the place!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭finbarrk

biko wrote: »
    Title changed to reflect posts are not only about Eyre Square

But that was the area I asked about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭testtech05

I think as others have said it depends on where you are. My girlfriend and I had lunch in a hotel just outside the city and a couple of drinks last Saturday afternoon.
    When no one had bothered us after just over 2 hours we both thought we were on to a winner and would be left for another while as there was only 2 other people in the bar at the time.
    We tried to order another drink shortly after that but the manager came over and told us unfortunately our time was up and we wouldn't be served again. I was a bit disappointed due to how quiet the place was etc but at the same time it was fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,099 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

finbarrk wrote: »

It's just outside Eyre Square, but I really recommend McGinns's in Woodquay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Ah, bless you! Sorry to say that's not how forums work.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭geordi

Is there a list of Galway pubs or a website where I can see what pubs are open? Heading on Monday for 3 nights

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Ah, bless you! Sorry to say that's not how forums work.

Not how the Galway forum works anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

geordi wrote: »
    Is there a list of Galway pubs or a website where I can see what pubs are open? Heading on Monday for 3 nights

Almost all hotels and restaurants are open.

Off the top of my head the following pubs are open

McGinn
    Massimos
    Seven
    Tigh Neachtains
    Dail
    Monroes
    Buskers
    Skeff
    Murty Rabbits
    Cellar
    Kings Head
    Blakes

Im sure there are more.The rest were due to open Monday so who knows if the ones able to serve food will open or not that's anyone guess

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

All places mentioned in this thread are just minutes walk from Eyre Square.
    The area you constricted yourself to doesn't have many places.
    Galway is small :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Almost all hotels and restaurants are open.

Off the top of my head the following pubs are open

McGinn
    Massimos
    Seven
    Tigh Neachtains
    Dail
    Monroes
    Buskers
    Skeff
    Murty Rabbits
    Cellar
    Kings Head
    Blakes

Im sure there are more.The rest were due to open Monday so who knows if the ones able to serve food will open or not that's anyone guess

Are masinmos back doing food? They weren’t pre covid

biko wrote: »

Galway is small :)

Yup Galway is a large town

When did they stop doing food pre Covid? Was it for a few months? I last ate there in 2019

inisboffin wrote: »
    When did they stop doing food pre Covid? Was it for a few months? I last ate there in 2019

Stopped doing food in January

The cooking school which has taken over their kitchen is now providing meals in conjunction with the pub.

The cooking school which has taken over their kitchen is now providing meals in conjunction with the pub.

Jp McMahon doesn’t miss a trick

Jp McMahon doesn’t miss a trick

Nothing to do with him AFAIK.

Nothing to do with him AFAIK.

JP McMahon owns Aniar, Massimo and Cava

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

Does anyone know exactly why the the 105 minute limit is a thing ? I mean is it so that the premises can get more footfall over the course of the evening ? if thats the case surely it should be at the management's discretion to ask people to leave. if they re nursing 2 pints and a plate of chips for 5 hours fair enough but a table of 4 could spend a fortune over the course of the evening.

Advertisement