Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

F1 2020: Hungarian GP

• 17-07-2020 9:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,416 ✭✭✭✭
    Ms

Well its Friday. It's the third consecutive race this weekend. The weather is looking to be wet for most of the weekend. Hopefully this will mix things up both in qualifying and the race and make for an exciting weekend. First up do is fp1 and fp2. Can Ferrari do any better or will they be worse again? Me I like to see a Red Bull or a Renault on the podium this weekend.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,055 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Merc and the Pink Merc setting the early pace in P1.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭jv2000

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Merc and the Pink Merc setting the early pace in P1.

It is early yet but Merc are not known for showing their hand early, the signs are ominous. From what I saw during qualifying last week even if it does rain Merc are the superior wet weather car as well. The result of a wet race could come down to Hamilton's concentration - he loves this circuit though. At the moment the gap between Merc and Perez is half a second, and even more between Perez and the rest of the pack. Perez is a great driver but I do wonder how a top tier driver would do in that RP?

The psychology of Bottas beating Hamilton this weekend would be immense though, with the backdrop of a shortened season I would love to see how Hamilton would react.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭Joeface

FFS , I not sure if the graphic is correct , but LH has fastest lap at the moment .....I think it was on a Hard tire and over .5sec faster than Perez in third and he is on soft compound

Joeface wrote: »
    FFS , I not sure if the graphic is correct , but LH has fastest lap at the moment .....I think it was on a Hard tire and over .5sec faster than Perez in third and he is on soft compound

Yeah fastest lap on hards. Crazy he's so far ahead. I think Bottas fastest lap was on mediums. They're a mile ahead of the rest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Sunday 19th post in advance:
    Good win Hamilton. Nice 2nd place Bottas. There was great midfield battles (albeit 30 seconds behind the lifting and coasting Mercs).

• Advertisement

Verstappen not too happy with the car during that practice session. Albon slow too.

None of this means anything any more , Ha

I will say nice to see Daniel Ricciardo that high up , not that it will last long .
    The Ferrari did look better going round (not that I know anything about it ) some how smoother .

Pos No Driver Car Time Gap Laps
    1 44 Lewis Hamilton Mercedes 1:16.003 37
    2 77 Valtteri Bottas Mercedes 1:16.089 +0.086s 37
    3 11 Sergio Perez Racing Point BWT Mercedes 1:16.530 +0.527s 20
    4 18 Lance Stroll Racing Point BWT Mercedes 1:16.967 +0.964s 35
    5 3 Daniel Ricciardo Renault 1:17.200 +1.197s 28
    6 5 Sebastian Vettel Ferrari 1:17.238 +1.235s 26
    7 16 Charles Leclerc Ferrari 1:17.404 +1.401s 29
    8 33 Max Verstappen Red Bull Racing Honda 1:17.435 +1.432s 28
    9 4 Lando Norris McLaren Renault 1:17.523 +1.520s 26
    10 31 Esteban Ocon Renault 1:17.615 +1.612s 35
    11 55 Carlos Sainz McLaren Renault 1:17.675 +1.672s 32
    12 20 Kevin Magnussen Haas Ferrari 1:17.713 +1.710s 35
    13 23 Alexander Albon Red Bull Racing Honda 1:17.727 +1.724s 28
    14 8 Romain Grosjean Haas Ferrari 1:17.890 +1.887s 35
    15 6 Nicholas Latifi Williams Mercedes 1:17.969 +1.966s 31
    16 26 Daniil Kvyat AlphaTauri Honda 1:18.292 +2.289s 35
    17 99 Antonio Giovinazzi Alfa Romeo Racing Ferrari 1:18.425 +2.422s 30
    18 63 George Russell Williams Mercedes 1:18.574 +2.571s 29
    19 88 Robert Kubica Alfa Romeo Racing Ferrari 1:19.150 +3.147s 26

• Registered Users Posts: 15,416 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I suppose all we can do then is hope Lance still takes out Hamilton on the first lap or Hamilton and Bottas either crash or have reliability problems. If it does rain on Sunday who knows anything can happen.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Lance doesnt usualy hit ppl at the start ...he is very good off the line normally gains places . All he can do is get in the way hopefully .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭This is it

What tyres were Ferrari on did anyone see? Lewis on hard compound and making it look easy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Anjobe

This is it wrote: »
    What tyres were Ferrari on did anyone see? Lewis on hard compound and making it look easy.

Ferrari mainly on mediums. Vettel did a few laps on the hards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

4 Mercs in the top 4. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,606 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

Absolutely pelting rain in Hungary now, F3 qualifying red flagged. Weather might yet play a part this weekend.

Having said that the Mercedes pace looks ominous.

Ferrari car is also using the Styrian upgrades I suppose they need to know what a base line is before moving onto the other Aero up grades

• Registered Users Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

skipper_G wrote: »
    Absolutely pelting rain in Hungary now, F3 qualifying red flagged. Weather might yet play a part this weekend.

Having said that the Mercedes pace looks ominous.

The weather outlook has worsened over the past few days, now 80% chance of rain today, 70% tomorrow and 80% Sunday!

R43rCVD.png

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭BikeRacer

Only 3 sets of wets for the entire weekend seems ridiculous given teams burnt through 3 sets in qualy alone last week.

BikeRacer wrote: »
    Only 3 sets of wets for the entire weekend seems ridiculous given teams burnt through 3 sets in qualy alone last week.

Yep, can't see Merc or Redbull, or indeed most, wasting a set today to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭recyclebin

They don't race that much on full wets though. It's usually too wet so race is red flagged or behind safety car.

recyclebin wrote: »
    They don't race that much on full wets though. It's usually too wet so race is red flagged or behind safety car.

They only have 3 sets, if qually is wet tomorrow, then that's 1 set for each of Q1, Q2 and Q3.

No one is going to go out while it rains like this except the Racing Point boys who need a few wet laps after last week when the car was very poor in wet qualifying conditions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,936 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

If it is really a whole wet weekend I assume Pirelli will issue more wets to everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,873 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

pjohnson wrote: »
    If it is really a whole wet weekend I assume Pirelli will issue more wets to everyone.

If Perelli have them available. The wet tyres they produce are terrible. Listening to the autosport podcast they said the reason we don't see much use of the intermediate tyres is because there's very little difference between the wets and inters. The wets function as inters and that's why so many wet sessions are red flagged or delayed - because the wet tyre can't cope with normal wet conditions.

They said the drivers are not allowed to talk about it to not upset Perelli.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Opportunity for Hamilton to equal another Schumacher record this weekend with 8 wins at the same venue. Hard to see past him after last weekend's performance, once the car stays reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,416 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Top Dog wrote: »
    Opportunity for Hamilton to equal another Schumacher record this weekend with 8 wins at the same venue. Hard to see past him after last weekend's performance, once the car stays reliable.

Its inevitable nearly unless the car breaksdown or something crazy happens like at the start or after a safety car or maybe in the pits or Hamilton has a momentary lack of concentration in the wet.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Q3 Predictions?

1. Ham
    2. Bottas
    3. Max
    4. Perez
    5. LeClerc
    6. Albon
    7. Stroll
    8. Vettel
    9. Norris
    10. Saintz

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Whatever about Paul DiResta in general, but he’s absolutely bang on about the details of that settlement between Ferrari and the FIA not being released. Something stinks about that big time.

Faugheen wrote: »
    Whatever about Paul DiResta in general, but he’s absolutely bang on about the details of that settlement between Ferrari and the FIA not being released. Something stinks about that big time.

Agreed, clearly the engine was no bueno, we should be party to understanding that!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Hopefully the rain comes down before Q2

Qualifying is so much more exciting with it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Oh I love this notification - 90% chance of rain during qualifying :D

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Love seeing a ballsy gamble pay off so hopefully Renault have called this right.

Advertisement