Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin to Kenmare in a KIA Soul EV

Options
  • 16-07-2020 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Apologies if these types of threads are not appropriate, mods delete if so?

First time doing a long drive in my Soul EV and only second time ever potentially using a fast charger. Heading down to Kenmare on Saturday. I'll go via Cork and on around the Cork by-pass to the N22.

In theory it within range at approx 360km, but I wouldn't really fancy my chances with a full car and motorway speeds. Does anyone have any advice on charging along the way? I have the ecar connect app and card, and that's it card wise. I am happy enough to pay a premium if it gives me a better choice in terms of getting on a charger and getting in and out within an hour.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Try ABRP, A Better Route Planner, it's excellent and very accurate

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

Ionity Cashel was recommended to another poster who is going to Parknasilla.

As uncle Bjorn says ABC, always be charging.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Sign yourself up for Maingau and charge at the Ionity charger in cashel, you'll pay a bit more 39c/kWh instead of 33c/kWh on eCars but there are 4 CCS chargers so much more reliable.

This thread should have details https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058002492

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Ionity Cashel was recommended to another poster who is going to Parknasilla.

As uncle Bjorn says ABC, always be charging.

Less so with the range the Soul has, but it's not really built for motorway efficiency. Cashel is a nice spot to charge, especially if you have the use of Ionity if the ESB one is in use. If it were me, I'd see what range i've used on the drive from Dublin to Cashel, and if it's comfortable i'd belt on to Cork and use the one at the kinsale road roundabout.

Abetterrouteplanner suggests stopping at Cashel though, and that Cork would be a stretch to get to in a single charge.

Do you have destination charging in Kenmare? The 22kW AC unit status is unavailable at the moment, so a good long charge in Cashel might be worth it. I know it's earmarked to be upgraded to a 44kW unit, but no idea if that's the reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Do you have destination charging in Kenmare? The 22kW AC unit status is unavailable at the moment, so a good long charge in Cashel might be worth it. I know it's earmarked to be upgraded to a 44kW unit, but no idea if that's the reason.

I used it 2 days ago. Was fine then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

Thanks everyone, I appreciate it. ABRP installed and I've asked on the Maingau thread if I could get it working by Saturday.

Re kenmare itself, not sure what the story is, I am bringing a granny so worst case scenario just don't use the car for the last couple of days to get a full charge!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Phibsboro wrote: »
    ... and I've asked on the Maingau thread if I could get it working by Saturday.

AFAIK once you sign up you can start the charge via the app.... or so it says.

The RFID card will come in the post a few days later but not required.

You can download the app and signup directly from the app... might be easier than the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I also used Kenmare yesterday. A couple of false starts, but third time was the charm. Does the eSoul have three phase 11kw charging? There's also fast charging up the road in Killarney, if you're out and about.

All signed up for Maingau, actually did a spin out to Gormanstown to check and it all worked fine (note one of the two Ionity's out there is out of order). I actually don't have anything charged yet against my card, but the website says I got 18Kw for around 7eur, which is the 39c rate, so all good.

Thanks for all the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I think you'll find it a pain free, easy journey!

Perfect car for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Dublin to kenmare is about 350km. (depending on yours starting position.) Stick the self drive -cruise on at 110Km/h and drive away.

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Phibsboro wrote: »
    All signed up for Maingau, actually did a spin out to Gormanstown to check and it all worked fine (note one of the two Ionity's out there is out of order). I actually don't have anything charged yet against my card, but the website says I got 18Kw for around 7eur, which is the 39c rate, so all good.

Thanks for all the help.

You get billed at the end of the month

I also used Kenmare yesterday. A couple of false starts, but third time was the charm. Does the eSoul have three phase 11kw charging? There's also fast charging up the road in Killarney, if you're out and about.

Unfortunately the KIA doesn't have anything above 7.2Kw on the AC side of things. But I am there on holidays for a few days so I should be grand in terms of getting a fill to start the return journey.

Advertisement