Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Looking to buy a house in Kilbelin Abbey in Newbridge developed by Montane.

Options
  • 08-05-2019 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi all. Just wondering if anybody has any feedback on Montane developing the new part of Kilbelin Abbey in Newbridge?

I believe they also built the Paddocks across from the Newbridge train station. Was at a show house recently and noted some sloppy finished (showhouse looked a bit rushed, as none of the other houses are anywhere near done), so just wanted to see if anybody who has bought a house from them recently have had any cosmetic/structural issues?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Stevie_D_D

I'm in the same boat in terms of considering buying in that estate. Was in the show house and also one of the 'Black Abbey' ones and didn't notice anything particularly shoddy. Don't think you can get virgin broadband in the estate though which is a bit annoying for myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 krumykris

Stevie_D_D wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat in terms of considering buying in that estate. Was in the show house and also one of the 'Black Abbey' ones and didn't notice anything particularly shoddy. Don't think you can get virgin broadband in the estate though which is a bit annoying for myself.

We're actually in the process of signing the contracts at the moment and it's looking like we'll be in before the end of August.

Something to note though, any of the kitchen appliances, flooring, bathroom tiles as per showhouse are not included in the selling price!!

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Stevie_D_D

krumykris wrote: »
    We're actually in the process of signing the contracts at the moment and it's looking like we'll be in before the end of August.

Something to note though, any of the kitchen appliances, flooring, bathroom tiles as per showhouse are not included in the selling price!!

Oh that's unusual, normally the cooker, microwave, fridge and dishwasher are included in the estates we've looked at. That said, we're still really considering Kilbelin. What does the 'tiling allowance' amount to then in reality? :)

Stevie_D_D wrote: »
    Oh that's unusual, normally the cooker, microwave, fridge and dishwasher are included in the estates we've looked at. That said, we're still really considering Kilbelin. What does the 'tiling allowance' amount to then in reality? :)

Not fully sure. Will find out once the contracts get signed. All we know is that the wet areas will all be tiled, albeit not to the spec in the showhouse. i.e. where in the showhouse all the bathrooms upstairs are tiled mid-way up the wall, this isn't included in the standard finish. And the downstairs bathroom is the same, not like in the showhouse.

We had family buying in the area 5/6months ago and they got a guided listing price of 415k+ if I recall correctly for houses in kilbelin at the start of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 pocpaul

krumykris wrote: »
    Not fully sure. Will find out once the contracts get signed. All we know is that the wet areas will all be tiled, albeit not to the spec in the showhouse. i.e. where in the showhouse all the bathrooms upstairs are tiled mid-way up the wall, this isn't included in the standard finish. And the downstairs bathroom is the same, not like in the showhouse.

We had family buying in the area 5/6months ago and they got a guided listing price of 415k+ if I recall correctly for houses in kilbelin at the start of the year.

Hey, we are also close to signing a contract soon. I was wondering if you went ahead with yours since this post and were all Happy? Me and my wife are a little concerned about the changes to the original spec since we put our down payment down. We also though the build would be ready by mid July but were later told September. That doesn't seem likely either from looking at the pace of the build. We are buying from.plans in red abbey.

• Advertisement

pocpaul wrote: »
    Hey, we are also close to signing a contract soon. I was wondering if you went ahead with yours since this post and were all Happy? Me and my wife are a little concerned about the changes to the original spec since we put our down payment down. We also though the build would be ready by mid July but were later told September. That doesn't seem likely either from looking at the pace of the build. We are buying from.plans in red abbey.

I think we are close to signing on the dotted line (anxious anyways at this point) and are due to close hopefully this month/September on our house which is in part of the first phase. The solicitors are trying to iron out a couple of details first before we get to that point. Looks like there are 3 houses already occupied, so hopefully wont be long now.

I didn't think that Red Abbey's would be done before end of the year frankly at the earliest. Don't think the structures were even up at the start of the summer and they're only closing on houses in the first phase now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ABitFedUp

Re Montane in a Kilbelin Abbey, as a resident of the existing estate we have been following the activities with dismay. The builder opened up a cul de sac at the end of our road without planning permission to provide access the showhouses and now to current new residents of the estate. He has also sold the houses contrary to planning. If anyone’s solicitor had checked out planning reference 13708 in Kildare county council they would see that there is no valid permission to occupy any houses in the new part of the estate until the Liffey valley sewerage interceptor was upgraded(currently in the process of being done), also anyone buying a house of the red abbey style should be cautious as if these are phase 3 and he hasn’t even built phase 2 the council could stop work on the site as he is in further breaches of planning. He has had a number of warning letters issued to him(viewable through the council planning page).
    So in my opinion it would be wise to be cautious when dealing with them.
    The build quality seems fine and the location is lovely, it is a great estate. Also we have Siro for broadband and are very happy with it.

I got a tour of the show houses last week and noticed that although the houses are advertised as concrete built all of the internal walls are wooden — even in the ground floor. The walls didn’t seem very dense to me, and I could imagine there would be a lot of noise issues between rooms within the houses.

Are current occupants satisfied with the sound proofing?

I got a tour of the show houses last week and noticed that although the houses are advertised as concrete built all of the internal walls are wooden — even in the ground floor. The walls didn’t seem very dense to me, and I could imagine there would be a lot of noise issues between rooms within the houses.

Are current occupants satisfied with the sound proofing?

Not sure you understand a concept of how the building works work over here.. There'll be a concrete supporting wall going through the house, but majority of all the other walls would be built from timber/plaster.. That's standard for most homes as far as I was aware...

• Registered Users Posts: 37 pocpaul

Thanks for this info. Very useful for finding updates on the Planning website.

Was wondering if there is anyone here close to closing with the Red Abbey units and if so could you DM me as would be good to speak. We are very likely to be closing with one of the units soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 dajones

We bought a house in Kilbelin Abbey, the grey abbey style and we have had no issues with ours, everything was finished to a high standard. Only thing we noticed was now in summer the house has settled and we've had to get carlson windows out to look at our patio doors as we had trouble locking it, other than not no issues. Took us a good while to close on sale as there were issues with the council on warning letters but our solicitor was very thorough and ensured the letter was resolved before our drawdown date.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 biddy1

Hi there,
    Currently in the process of buying a new home in Kilbelin Abbey. Would welcome any feedback or tips. Thanks in advance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Darragh37

Hi there,
    Apologies for bringing back an old thread but we're looking at buying the white abbey and wondering if anyone from the previous phases has any feedback/ tips etc.

We're planning to move from Dublin and aren't overly familiar with Newbridge apart from driving over a few times so any feedback on the area would be much appreciated too. Thanks in advance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 MaximGorky86

Hope you are all moved in now Darragh. I am looking for a similar move to Newbridge Stationwalk. Hows your experience been. Is it safe especially since I would be taking a late train back to Newbridge from Heuston.

TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Red Albey

Hey All,

Just out of curiosity, when I signed up for Kilbelin red units in June 2021, the price was listed as 390 euros. Now they are priced at 460 K. Is this common to see such a huge increase in prices in such a short time?

Is this Worth buying Red units with that price?

Is anyone here purchased red abbey units?

Hi all. Just wondering if anybody has any feedback on Red Abbey Units. Are you happy moved in?

I think, Red abbey are near or behind the cemetery, would that impact the resale value in future?

Can somebody please comment?

Hey Darragh,

Hope you've made the move in the end before the house prices shot up (think white abbey going for 505k atm).

I've been living in one of the Grey Abbey's since Nov'19. Honestly, the house is finished to a decent standard. We've had a few issues however with some of the doors letting in a little draft (house is still settling), but they've been rectified under the warranty.

Aside from that, theres the usual drying out of the house, which has opened up some gaps in door frames/skirting/basically anything that's made of wood, but thats expected for newbuilds and is something that we were aware of before committing.

The commute into Dublin on the n7/m7 can be a bit of a pain (depending on where you work/when you leave), but the train is usually pretty solid and goes directly into grand canal via connolly, which is pretty handy.

Some annoyances with the house:

1. Water pump is loud and kicks in everytime you flush/use the taps;

2. It was 2k extra to have the attic floored. We didn't do this, but in hindsight probably should have for extra storage.

3. The air to water pump outside can be noisy ( if you're a light sleeper).

It's a fine house tbf. The houses in general do come with nice big gardens, which is something you won't get in most places.

The estate itself is not too bad either. Doesn't seem to be much/any anti-social behaviour that I can think of over the last 2 years, which is good and hopefully it stays that way.

Hope this helps.

Just to add, there's water quality in the area is piss poor, so we ended up installing a water softener for the house to stop the limescale buildup etc and having dry skin after showering.

Hi Krumykris,

Sorry for bringing back an old thread. I'm looking to buy red abbey house in Kilbelin abbey estate.  Just wondering if you have any feedback from the previous phases?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 WFOGO

Hi

Sorry for reactivating this thread but I have just moved into the estate into a grey abbey type and we have issues with temperatures in house. The house at times Seems cold and the front door is definately drafty. Did anyone else have issues like this when you moved in?

Advertisement