Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Da 5 Bloods [Spike Lee]

• 19-05-2020 4:06pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Lee's latest has a trailer; looks like a bit of a mash-up so hard to pin down from that trailer how the final film might sit:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Jesus this is poor poor film.
    I’d be a big fan of spikes lee’s work but this really is a poor movie.

Pure and utter dog **** of a film.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Rockbeast2

Bowlardo wrote: »
    Jesus this is poor poor film.
    I’d be a big fan of spikes lee’s work but this really is a poor movie.

Pure and utter dog **** of a film.

91% with critics on Rotten Tomatoes. They can't seem to praise it enough.

Am I allowed to wonder if the current social climate may have influenced their reviews? Perhaps not.

Spike Lee's always been hit or miss for me with a couple more in the hit column. I'll give it a watch anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,076 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

My thoughts from the Netflix thread:

Da 5 Bloods is definitely worth your time. It’s an uneven beast: there’s a search for gold caper at the centre of the plot that honest to god feels like it’s from a completely different script that Lee built the distinctly Spike Lee stuff around (as far as I can tell, that was actually the case!). But for a film with lots of action and adventure, the characters are angry and troubled in ways that rang true for me. It’s a film about the aftermath of the Vietnam War on both Americans and Vietnamese - the survivors scarred, and the two countries changed. The heroes aren’t particularly heroic at all, prone to selfish acts and in some cases paralysed by trauma, regret and guilt.

Like BlacKkKlansman it draws a real connecting line between the 60s/70s and modern America, with archive footage and overt references to modern politics throughout. The references to Black Lives Matter make it seem eerily timely, but not the first - and likely not the last - time a Lee joint will feel relevant simply because the issues he returns to never seem to go away. Not all the strands come together by any stretch - again likely a casualty of an existing script repurposed - but it’s an interesting, often compelling watch for sure.

To add to that: Klansman felt flat to me at times, so I preferred this a little, although wouldn’t rate it as highly as his best work (sadly all his recent films tend to be uneven to varying degrees - triply so for Chiraq).

Also would be a nice one to see in the cinema, as the shifting aspect ratios (alluded to by Fysh in the other thread) would have been nice to see on the big screen - especially the moment where it blows up full screen to encompass the vast Vietnamese landscape. But alas circumstances were not in anyone’s favour this time around!

Shout out to the decision to not cast younger actors for the flashbacks - definitely grounded me in the story and underlined the absence of Da Fifth Blood.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,749 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

yeah using the same actors for the flashbacks was brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Worth a watch, its good movie.

Dunno whats up but I have to see a very good movie on Netflix they all seem to lack something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Rockbeast2

Watchd this last night. I really enjoyed it. Thought it was easily a 8/8.5 film and one of the top Netflix releases, perhaps behind only Okja for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Worth a watch, its good movie.

Dunno whats up but I have to see a very good movie on Netflix they all seem to lack something.

That’s exactly what I think as well.

I was Hoping this was going to be good but it was a mess. Was a bit tender from the night before which may have affected my mood too.
    Great cast in it .
    The score was belted out in every scene which was tedious by the end

• Registered Users Posts: 13,678 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I thought it was absolutely awful. Like a made for TV movie from the 90s or something. Terrible acting. I'm not racist but - the only way I can explain the good reviews to myself are the BLM references and subject matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

I actually turned this off after 25 mins.

Watched Clockers last night to see if I had remembered wrong that Spike Lee's direction and skill behind the camera had once been top notch. And I was not wrong, just watching the first 10 minutes of Clockers vs his new one is night and day. One is powerful drama, beautifully cut and presents a world that sets you up for what is about to come - using photo imagery, that really captures the essence of the culture and movie the viewer is about to watch. Da 5 Bloods is Vauxhall Conference level in comparison.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

Not even sure how long I lasted... 20/25 mins. Fast forwarded the action scenes. Utterly dreadful film from what little I watched. What on earth has happened to Spike Lee. Everything about this felt forced. The unstable character is a Trump supporter.. edgy!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

I enjoyed this more than I thought I would. It looks fantastic in Dolby Vision on a 65" TV.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,242 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I thought it was enjoyable. Yes it's a little long and it's political message is a bit forced but I was entertained throughout.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,556 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Interesting mix of views. I watched about an hour at the weekend and thought I was watching a really terrible film. Like something made by a student. The soundtrack for one seems lifted off a different movie altogether.

I'm going to finish it, but really it's gonna have to stick the landing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Uneven but compelling. Lee throws way too much into the mix. I mean The Treasure of The Sierra Madre line was ridiculous, like a sub-Tarantino Homage/rip-off.
    Still liked it a lot. The core story of the "5 bloods" was the strong point and should have been focused on. Delroy Lindo in particular nailed it and his character went from sympathetic to repulsive and back repeatedly, a tribute to the writing, direction and the performance.
    The use of the Marvin Gaye music and the MAGA hat were both quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,498 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I thought it was absolutely awful. Like a made for TV movie from the 90s or something. Terrible acting. I'm not racist but - the only way I can explain the good reviews to myself are the BLM references and subject matter.

Its bit like when Black Panther was released it was hyped so much I was really excited about seeing but when I did in my opinion it was one of the worst Marvel movies they have made,

The timing of the release and the social impact of them far out weigh the actually product itself,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Homelander

Well, I found this a bit of a mess - it's like several different directors of varying talent shot scenes independently and stitched them together.

There are some good moments, but I found them drowned out somewhat by the weaker ones of which there are many....and which I'm struggling to understand how they came about, exactly, Spike Lee is better than this.

That first combat scene was just awful - terrible CGI, horrible action choreography, a completely random and out of place musical score, total whiff of a video game off it..... it just looked like something out of a straight to DVD movie from the early 2000's.

Like, what happened there? The next action scene with Stormin Norman and the Vietcong Patrol is shot 10x better and has more weight to it. It's just this film all over - half baked with no consistency.

I'm not saying it's a waste of time, but it's not a good movie and I really expected better quality from Spike Lee, this is just really sloppy.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,556 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

So I watched the second half of this.

Just a poor movie. If this is receiving great reviews I don't understand it. Is it a because it's Spike Lee movie with an African American cast in the time of #blacklivesmatter?

I was looking forward to this I thought it sounded like a great way to spend 2 hours but it was just a badly made movie with clips of Martin Luther King tacked on the end of it when it had nothing to do with race at all.

I wanted to enjoy this but i couldn't.

Appalling flick. Hackneyed cinematography. Cliched plot. Wooden acting. Even the soundtrack choices were dreadful. Easily the worst movie I have seen this year. Ugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭j.s. pill II

Homelander wrote: »
    Well, I found this a bit of a mess - it's like several different directors of varying talent shot scenes independently and stitched them together.

This

Absolutely woeful film. Didn't even make it to the hour mark myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭the immortals

A pile of steaming horse****e would be a compliment for this movie, it's unbelievably bad

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,100 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Started watching this and couldn't believe how bad it was. I'm about an hour in and losing the will to live.
    I might get back to it, but have really had enough of it for today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Surprised this film is receiving very strong contrasting opinions.

I watched it last night and really enjoyed it, loved how they used the aged actors for the flashback scenes.
    Also, Isiah Whitlock obviously had to do his Clay Davis one liner :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

complete rubbish , bailed after a little over an hour where freeman from the wire , meets his daughter who he never knew about

watched it with two other people who also thought it was rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I really didn't like this film. It had equal parts Last Vegas type movie, Vietnam lite, Spike Lee's black history lesson, uneven drama mixed with spoof it seemed. When
    the obvious mine explosion happened
    it seemed to be played for laughs, or shock and gore. I couldn't tell, but to me it was worthy of David and Jerry Zucker and Jim Abrahams but so obviously ill-fitting.

I watched while visiting my parents, and I'd a feeling that if it was me home alone watching I'd have turned it off by half way. It just wasn't the film for me. Tonally all over the shop, there's the bones of something good to be made from it all, but that wasn't it. I'm amazed at how it could have such a high RT score.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

Absolutely sh!te. Probably one of the worst pieces of crap I've seen in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Terrible terrible film. I was watching it with the wife and she just went to bed after 20mins. I was determined to stick with it because I couldn't believe how bad it was. I was just hoping it'd get better......it didn't.

As someone mentioned above, it was like a film made by a student. Just a total mish mash of ideas. Soundtrack in parts sounded like something from a Spielberg movie and was total unfitting. The little clips of prominent black figures were just jarring and were shoehorned in. The gory bits were just ridiculous. The son finding the gold when going for a sh1t? :rolleyes: The BLM bit at the end, just made it all seem like an extremely long ad.

Only redeeming part was the use of the actors in the flashbacks, quite quirky and cut out a lot of needless set up to explain who was who.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

I actually enjoyed this more than BlacKKK Clansman

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭donaghs

Just watched most of it, quite disappointing. Netflix just cut out about two third in, WiFi issues, I think I’ll go to Bed. Maybe I’ll watch the rest another day. I’m not a Trump fan, but making the unstable guy a Trump supporter, plus the modern Trump footage, just seemed like a sledgehammer cracking a dust particle.

Seems like a lot of projecting modern attitudes back into the past.

Spike Lee made a much better (maybe a little too long) and less seen war movie, The Miracle at Santa Anna, (2008) about the 92nd division Buffalo Soldiers in Italy in WW2.

• Advertisement
Advertisement