Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Going back.

Options
  • 22-06-2020 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭

I've been out of football at a serious level for at least 5 or 6 years now, for the first couple of seasons after I finished I played the odd junior game when the team were short but the last 2 or 3 years I've done basically nothing.
    I'm about 2 stone over the weight I would've been when playing and im fairly out of shape.
    At the start of the year I had intended getting fit and going back but the commitment expected from management and extra demands at work meant it wasn't workable.
    About 5-6 weeks ago I decided I'd do a little bit of running/weights/ballwork and see if I could get in reasonable nick by the time training started back, I was expecting mid August or September at the time but it's the middle of next week our team are back together.
    I did my first 5k 3 or 4 weeks back and was near 32 minutes which was disheartening but I've shaved it down to 27 and a half minutes and I'm kind of thinking of going to training despite still not being fit.
    What im wondering is will it likely be frowned upon by management? I know when I was younger everyone was welcome to turn up at anytime but with things so professional these days could they really turn me away in expectancy of me holding drills up? I would've been a reasonable level(regular starter, corner/full/centre back for the guts of 14 years since my teens so I can catch, tackle and kick.
    I'm getting to my mid 30's but would still know a fair few of the lads playing and I can't see them having a problem, but I will feel like the biggest fool in the world if I landed down and got turned away by management. :confused::confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

Nobody will turn you away. They'll be delighted to see an "older head" coming back. Start back with the junior team. Get up to speed and go with the first team if you feel up to it. I'm 32, overweight and a million miles from where I was. I moved from Kerry to Meath 3 years ago, I didnt have to bother my arśe playing again but I went down to join my local clubs junior side. I was welcomed with open arms by players and management. Wouldnt be the best player ever but make the effort at training and that's all they ask. Ended up playing a few games for the intermediate team when they were stuck last year then as they knew I'd be able for it.

Enjoy.going back, you wont regret it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,093 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

If you know a few lads on the team, why not ask for the manager's number and give him a text?

It's common courtesy imo. As a manager I would expect someone to check in advance. And it'll help you break the ice/not be worried leading up to training.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

PARlance wrote: »
    If you know a few lads on the team, why not ask for the manager's number and give him a text?

It's common courtesy imo. As a manager I would expect someone to check in advance. And it'll help you break the ice/not be worried leading up to training.

Might just do that. At least that way if he doesn't want anyone joining in I'll know before I'm in front of a crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,093 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Might just do that. At least that way if he doesn't want anyone joining in I'll know before I'm in front of a crowd.

I would, best of luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭CMCXCV

I went back last year playing both Hurling and Football (two different clubs) after a break of maybe 10 years or more. I wasn't the fittest of people (still not) when I went back. I had a great time, everyone was encouraging to me and etc. Now this year is the second year being back and I've seen a lot of new faces join this year. And again all the "veteran" players are encouraging.

I'd recommend getting your managers number and giving him a text, as it might help your mind and confidence. I did the same thing as I had the same problems thinking I'll be a liability more than anything and other people would be too competitive about slowing things down.

• Advertisement

We started back training on Thursday after the GAA gave the greenlight for a return. We had a load of older lads down that played for the club years ago and not so old lads who had stopped playing and are now fat and trying to get fit. A range of reasons from lads just trying to get some fitness after lockdown, lads after rediscovering the love for the game after so long without it and a few new Dads looking for an hours break a couple of nights a week :pac:

Every single one of them welcomed with open arms.

I hope you made the decision to go back and are enjoying it.

Went back. Welcomed with open arms. Not as far behind as I was thinking fitness wise.
    Was asked to tog out for a challenge match yesterday and got a half and played reasonably well but feel like I've been hit by a truck today.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭CMCXCV

Went back. Welcomed with open arms. Not as far behind as I was thinking fitness wise.
    Was asked to tog out for a challenge match yesterday and got a half and played reasonably well but feel like I've been hit by a truck today.

Good, welcome back. Glad you enjoyed it. Where abouts in Ireland is the club you went back to?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Enjoy that feeling!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭C__MC

How did the OP work on fitness for GAA

• Advertisement

C__MC wrote: »
    How did the OP work on fitness for GAA

Absolutely nothing specific. I have been trying to get 3 or 4 5k in a week and a bit of basic ball work as in just running with the ball kicking and catching, as basic as can be and a few free weights.
    It was just something to get me moving again so I could think of going to a training session. We're an intermediate team in the North East so not the highest standard in the world but I'm happy enough to be back amongst it.

We had a lad join us. 36 years old. Never touched an O Neills in his life. Hes English and is friends with a few of the older lads who came back. A challenge game the other day, manager calls him over and says run in half forward. On his way to the pitch he asks one of the lads where half forward is. And hes doing absolutely fine. A great man to have around the younger lads too.

Everyone seems to be loving the short season. Glad to hear you're back enjoying it. We will be long enough away from it.

Advertisement