Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you make any assumptions based on the brand someone uses?

167891012»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Sure they can enjoy it, no skin off my nose. And taking in deposit costs etc, it's closer to E100 a week.

I can assure you this is not the case. Curious that you can only enjoy a brand new car though...

me! I’ve never yet bought a new car and even if I won one I would probably enjoy the novelty for a week and then sell it and buy a second hand one and pocket the difference! I might covet something nice or admire them or want one but am far too much of a money minder and too risk adverse to buy one for myself even if I could easily afford it!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

You trust indicators?
    The one and only thing you can be sure of when a car in Ireland is indicating is that the indicator bulbs aren't blown ,yet. *

Ye have to wait until you see which way the front wheels turn.

* US parlance , the blinker fluid was topped up.

me! I’ve never yet bought a new car and even if I won one I would probably enjoy the novelty for a week and then sell it and buy a second hand one and pocket the difference! I might covet something nice or admire them or want one but am far too much of a money minder and too risk adverse to buy one for myself even if I could easily afford it!

That’s quite a sad outlook I have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Ultrflat

Nah, take a pair of Nike for example is it s pair of Low Dunks or are we talking a pair of air max even them are they off the shelf or custom?

I don't think you can assume based on the brand. More so the person wearing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Ultrflat wrote: »
    Nah, take a pair of Nike for example is it s pair of Low Dunks or are we talking a pair of air max even them are they off the shelf or custom?

I don't think you can assume based on the brand. More so the person wearing it.

Ah you got me, I was struggling to think of any examples (because I like to think I'm not judgemental) and you put one on a plate for me, thank you. Now I've no clue what a low dunk is but in Ireland, if you're wearing air bubbled runners, that's a definite sign of some junkie/scobe tendencies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,757 ✭✭✭One More Toy

theteal wrote: »
    Ah you got me, I was struggling to think of any examples (because I like to think I'm not judgemental) and you put one on a plate for me, thank you. Now I've no clue what a low dunk is but in Ireland, if you're wearing air bubbled runners, that's a definite sign of some junkie/scobe tendencies.

I resemble that remark

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭badabing106

People that buy 4x4 off road Land Rover vehicles with no intention of ever going off road. People that cycle Dutch bicycles and never intend to ever have anything in the basket. Identity issues ?

I don’t have many preconceptions about what people use. But if I see someone drinking buckfast I think likely a scumbag who could turn on you an any moment.

That’s half the population of Galway city then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭sparksfly

People who buy Herbalife, Aloe Vera, Amway or any of the other overpriced tat sold by the brainwashed "Business / Multi Level Marketing" mob. Like the Apple fans, they will defend the products to the last, even aggressively at times.

Adidas Originals = boomer LoI supporters who consider Suede to be the greatest band of the Brit pop era.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Anything someone uses can tell you a lot about them, including brand choices. That said I find it more insightful how someone displays the item or brand, rather than the item itself.

If they feel the need to have it noticed by as many people as possible they are offering you an excellent vantage point into their insecurities and needs

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Oh that argument certainly holds weight. As a watch they're very well made, their designs are solid, or staid depending on viewpoint, but yep you can get better quality for less, or way better quality for the same price and I struggle to think of a Swiss watch brand that have innovated less than Rolex. However they've become a luxury brand, recognised as and shorthand for such and safely so and all bets are off there with luxury. They've also become an investment brand over the last ten years(always a worry). "You're paying for the name" is both a valid argument and a valid truth for those willing to pay for it.

The numbers don't matter much(and it's more like a million), it's the perceived rarity that counts and not just in watches, that perception is how you flog lots of luxury goods. Thing is if such things were genuinely rare you couldn't build a worldwide business around them. If Rolex only produced a thousand watches a year nobody would have heard of them.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

I suppose you could say that Canada goose Jackets have become synonomous with scrotes here in Ireland anyway

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

They are the modern day Burberry. You see them assume and scrote and fake. I am not sure I have ever seen a real one or at least a real one that wasn't stolen. I do work in Dublin 1 though so probably not the best sample area

Post edited by Pawwed Rig on

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jmlad2020

Tracksuits on adults as leisure wear - dodgy until proven otherwise.

Not so much a brand, but similarly with phones, I’ll immediately back away from someone who tells me they’ve their phone rooted with a custom rom etc on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭dudley72

For all the Apple haters, IBM done a study to determine what’s the best platform for its staff, at that stage they had 400k, less now with the covid cuts

The upfront cost is more than a Windows equivalent but everything else and the overall TOC is a lot better

Lads going around with custom ROM etc on phone are just desperate for attention, just pay the money and buy a decent phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

They could just have gotten a gift. Or been in a rush and not near their usual shop. Or could have bought it over a fence. Or got lucky in a sale. You cant go full Lecter on someone because they're carrying an M+S bag.

Unless they have their tracksuit tucked into their socks, in which case they have abandonment and substance issues. And sky sports. And an illegitimate child, and the child has a motor scooter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

I feel this is more of a British Isles thing where class distinctions are more obvious. Look at Barcelona; Xavi, Iniesta, Alba. Puyol were all from middle class backgrounds.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Disney found the same in their internal research and moved to majority apple on the back of it. A few of the major reasons macs never took off in the business world in the early days was 1) initial cost 2) they were more longwinded to program for and developer support was lacking and 3) they required less support from the IT departments. The latter meant fewer staff might be needed and since turkey's won't vote for christmas... There was also the feeling among the techies and "nerds" back in the day that apple weren't real computers because they were far easier to use than DOS/early Windows PC's for your average person. The nerd demographic didn't like that their "magical knowledge" wasn't nearly so required. When the first imac came out an American IT magazine did a test on one and an equivalent PC of the time. The imac was given to a high school kid, the PC to an IT professional. Their task was to take them out of the box, set them up, plug in a printer and connect to the interwebs. The kid finished comfortably before the IT guy.

The proof of the pudding is this: compare an Apple Mac from the mid 1990's and a PC from the mid 1990's to a mac and PC of today. Does a Mac of today look like a PC of twenty odd years ago? It does not, on the other hand... More recently we saw similar with phones. The first android OS's and mockups were rip offs of the then very popular blackberry phone environment with physical keyboard et al. Then the iPhone came along...

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

You can tell by the full package. Everyone has their weaknesses, but if you display them openly you need not wonder if someone uses them.

Advertisement