Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Showers / toilets on the Shannon/Erne waterways

• 14-07-2020 7:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

I understand that these are presently closed.
    Are there any known plans to reopen them?

Not all boats have showers and wastewater holding tanks. Most crew prefer using on-shore facilities rather than the more confined and odorous options afloat, especially when in harbour.

(I contacted Waterways Ireland HQ last week but did not yet get a reply. I'll copy it here if/when I do.)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Van Doozy

I was on the Shannon last week and they were not available. I asked on Saturday in the boat hire place and they didn't know.

The Athlone marina ones were open, but as I understand it, this is not a W.I. facility, it is private.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I hear an unexpected knock on effect is campervans not having a convenient place to dump their waste have become pretty desperate and tipped it into the river or lake or into the undergrowth. Harbour car parks have become wildly popular for campervans in the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

Tabnabs wrote: »
    I hear an unexpected knock on effect is campervans not having a convenient place to dump their waste have become pretty desperate and tipped it into the river or lake or into the undergrowth. Harbour car parks have become wildly popular for campervans in the last few years.

Lets hope it doesn't take a literal pile of poo to get the toilet blocks and pumpouts functional again.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

MARINE NOTICE
    No.64 of 2020
    Shannon Navigation & Shannon Erne Waterway
    Reopening of Service Blocks (Toilets and Showers)
    Waterways Ireland wishes to advise Masters of vessels and waterways users on the Shannon Navigation and Shannon Erne Waterways that work is ongoing to reopen the Service Blocks (Toilets and Showers) at all locations along these waterways.
    Significant deep cleaning of each Service Block is required prior to reopening and a comprehensive daily cleaning regime is being established.
    Waterways Ireland intends reopening the Service Blocks (Toilets and Showers) on a phased basis commencing on Monday 20th July 2020 with the reopening of the Service Blocks in Lough Key and Carrick on Shannon. It is intended that all Service Blocks on the Shannon Navigation and Shannon Erne Waterway will be reopened by Friday 24th July 2020.
    Users are requested to comply with COVID-19 protocols and HSE guidelines when using the Service Blocks.
    Waterways Ireland thanks its customers for their co-operation in relation to this matter.
    P Harkin
    Inspector of Navigation
    17 July 2020

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

Loaded and locked. Prepate to broadside!

• Advertisement
Advertisement