Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any idea on how I might find this article?

• 30-06-2020 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭

It's from the Sunday Independent circa 1950-1954 It includes a picture of my Granda as part of a GAA team out in Aden (now Yemen).

My ma had found it before in a records office in Belfast, printed it and lost the printout. She's been back numerous times and cannot find it. She would not be tech savy.

I've come across this (https://www.irishnewsarchive.com/) - anyone any experience of it? Don't want to shell out for something that will be useless.

https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/search/results?newspapertitle=Sunday%20Independent%20(Dublin) - Only goes back to 1959.

Anyone any other ideas? My granda is 97 and I'd love to get it for him.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The INA image quality can be very very poor for some eras. It's available in most libraries if your local is allowing computer use again.

If you get the exact issue details, INM might be able to sell you a better copy.

I have a sub currently but it may not be the easiest thing to find - I'll take a quick look

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭The_Fitz

L1011 wrote: »
    The INA image quality can be very very poor for some eras. It's available in most libraries if your local is allowing computer use again.

If you get the exact issue details, INM might be able to sell you a better copy.

I have a sub currently but it may not be the easiest thing to find - I'll take a quick look

That would be great, my ma is convinced the word 'desert' was in the headline. Something like "First GAA team in the desert".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Try a public library reference dept. It might be on fiche though.
    You could phone or email to enquire.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭jrmb

Try a public library reference dept. It might be on fiche though.
    You could phone or email to enquire.
    You can acces the Irish Newspaper Archive free of charge at Pearse Street library in Dublin (upstairs, in the city archive reading room). It's worth asking whether you can do this at other public libraries.

You can do a text search in INA, so details like his name and "GAA" might help you find the photo. The only trouble is that the machine-generated transcription of older newspapers is less than perfect, so a lot of articles are placed in the wrong categories. For example, I was researching "RTÉ" but many of the results were actually about the "RUC".

The National Library of Ireland will have it on microfilm, but unfortunately you only have a vague idea of the dates so the search could be a nightmare.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The DCLA reading room has not yet reopened. Many other libraries also have access but basically none allow computer use yet.

I sent the OP on what I could find quickly; it wasn't what they wanted but they had signed up themselves anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭The_Fitz

I signed up for the NCA, and to be honest, it's like heroin.

Haven't been off it. Found a written article about my grandfather, but no photo as of yet.

Plenty of other articles found about family from winning essay competitions in school to impersonating people at the ballot box.

Advertisement