Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Where to get advice on medium long term investment

Options
  • 11-07-2020 2:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭

Am looking for some advice on a where I could park 30g medium to long term. Maxed out on pension supplement as it is and have come into some cash that I want to work for me. Preferably some well diversed or intelligently researched funds - thinking Pharma, green etc - that have very low fees something quite passively managed as it'll be long term.

Any ideas on where to look. Would even appreciate a decent financial advisor I could chat with confidence that won't cost me an arm. Can PM me with suggestions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Vanguard funds all day on DEGIRO, would be worthwhile waiting to see if the market crashes before investing thou. If this happens there will be lots of opportunity to make sizeable gains on individual stocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Saudades

AmberGold wrote: »
    would be worthwhile waiting to see if the market crashes before investing thou.

Is this widely expected?

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jimbobjoeyman

Saudades wrote: »
    Is this widely expected?

Depends, the fundemantals are terrible regarding growth and unemployment but governments and central banks are expected to prop up economies and the markets.

Essentially playing a game of chicken with the market.
    If confidence is there things will most likely tip away as they are - but from a fundementals point of view the market should be on the floor.

You also have to factor in that a share price is the markets expectations of future csh flows - even though things look bleak on the macro front right now its generally not expected to last. So expectations of future CF's are positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭FLOOPER

Thanks for reply’s.

I’m really looking for advice on what funds I should involve myself with for profitability and lowest management charges.

And maybe/probably need to talk to an advisor which I’m ok with. If anyone can give me info on an advisor or someone I can chat with it would be more than welcome.

What price do advisors charge anyway?

FLOOPER wrote: »
    Thanks for reply’s.

I’m really looking for advice on what funds I should involve myself with for profitability and lowest management charges.

And maybe/probably need to talk to an advisor which I’m ok with. If anyone can give me info on an advisor or someone I can chat with it would be more than welcome.

Have a read of this and it’ll maybe give you a little context on the type of thing Advisors will push you towards.

https://indexfundinvestor.eu/2019/07/04/what-are-the-best-commission-free-etfs-in-degiro/

There’s a great sticky on Reddit on investing and how to structure your investments between cash, bonds etc. Advice on max’ing out pensions and the like.

Personally with 30k I’d be steering clear of paid advisors at this point having been down that road over the years.

One thing is clear the market is very volatile currently, interest rates on secure instruments are tiny, you might be best served staying in cash until things come clear.

• Advertisement

Thanks for reply’s.

Have a read of this and it’ll maybe give you a little context on the type of thing Advisors will push you towards.

https://indexfundinvestor.eu/2019/07/04/what-are-the-best-commission-free-etfs-in-degiro/

There’s a great sticky on Reddit on investing and how to structure your investments between cash, bonds etc.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

You also have to factor in that a share price is the markets expectations of future csh flows - even though things look bleak on the macro front right now its generally not expected to last. So expectations of future CF's are positive.

The current price is just the result of a voting machine exercise you only have to look at the comments here to see people are going on gut feelings and the views of the talking heads and are not interested in the long term.

I’d go so far as to say most of them couldn’t to an accurate cash flow exercise if their lives depended on and if they could the would not be willing to pay the current prices.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

This is a much misunderstood piece of advice. It simply means that by using index trackers and keeping fees low, you will at least do as well as the worst fund managers in the industry. Not much of an objective but one many investors fail to achieve because they get distracted listening to the talking heads and trying to time the market.

The person most likely to loose you money is the person you see every morning in the mirror. You need to have an honest understanding of your attitude to risk, your need for social validation of you decisions, the amount of time you can put into the exercise, are you a spender or a saver, your current situation in life and so on.

In doing this you should be able to rule out many approaches and products that are not suitable for you. There is little point in someone investing in a fund with a great return that is highly volatile if they have a low capacity for risk because the chances are they will jump ship at the wrong time.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭douglashyde

Thanks for reply’s.

Decent financial advisor will set you back about 1 - 2K and are not great investments unless you've an odd circumstances. I had a FA last year and got little value from them, with a bill to boot - they can not offer a lot of value that's not already readily available online to a competent man.

At 30K, invest in yourself: learn new skills, test/launch a business. Or as an alternative, invest in higher risk assets (bitcoin, new tech, leveraged assets).

If you've serious money to invest - buy SP500

• Registered Users Posts: 9,363 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Am looking for some advice on a where I could park 30g medium to long term. Maxed out on pension supplement as it is and have come into some cash that I want to work for me. Preferably some well diversed or intelligently researched funds - thinking Pharma, green etc - that have very low fees something quite passively managed as it'll be long term.

Any ideas on where to look. Would even appreciate a decent financial advisor I could chat with confidence that won't cost me an arm. Can PM me with suggestions.
    There's 2 ways you can generally invest
    1. Go to a broker, they'll talk you through the options that the Irish investment companies have, and direct you to the one of your choosing. The broker is "free" for you (he gets paid commission from the company), but then when you give your money to Irish Life, Aviva etc, there'll be a charge each on that. I always think it's good to talk to a broker anyway to get that option on the table.
    https://brokersireland.ie/broker/

2. Invest yourself. You can open a stockbroking account, lodge the money and but a fund/stocks yourself. There'll be a tax liability after 8 years, so you'll have to manage that (possibly getting an accountant). The Financial Advisor the previous poster is probably just pointing you to a fund/stock, something most people are able to do with a bit of research themselves. With an amount like €30k, I'd be slow to just dive in myself, if you're doing the DIY version maybe test the water by lodging €3-5k first and see how it's going after a month or two.

With regards the comment on the "crash", don't worry about that. People have been worried about this all year. Most of those people worried that the market could fall 30% have missed out on 50% gains waiting for that to happen. If you've medium-long term vision, this won't be an issue.

• Advertisement
Advertisement