Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Need advice lost job due to covid

• 12-07-2020 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi all,

Ive been made redundant since this covid happened and face to go back to retail again ( if i can find anything ) but the more im thinking about it the more im thinking of getting some education and just going a different direction alltogether.

So ive 8 years exp in supervisory roles in Retail, im only 28 (since today) :D The pay is not great anymore, it used to be ok 6 years ago, but as the minimum wage went up, supervisor rates did not. You are basically doing 3 times the work of a regular worker and getting pretty much the same, (my rant over) but i dont see my self going back to retail, even thinking about the future, retail is going to be dead in the next 10 to 15 years, so this is not a future proof sector in my opinion. I could easily land a managers job, but then again ive come to conclusion that retail is not for me.

So im thinking Coding, Web Development, web design , Python, Java etc.
    I really love technology and anything to do with it and to me this looks like the future of jobs. Now i know there are **** ton of freelancers etc around this that and the other but i would image myself getting my own business in the future if its todo with web design or selling software or consultations etc. to me this field looks like endless oppurtunities in the long run.

So anyway, thing is im unemployed atm, ive a 3 year old boy and my missus works full time you could say.

Ive mentioned to her that i would like to pursue something different and maybe be earning better wage as we all would like. She wouldnt mind me going back to education, i know it would be tough but this seems like the best time to pursue this.

Im confused with back to education allowance and all the different payments that would kind of help me (us) finacially, rent is crazy, car is needed. i mean if theres something to avail of i would like to know if i would be eligible for it. Dont want to feed of it, but i feel like i would need some help.

Ive leaving cert done, ive also a lvl5 course done on digital marketing ( though about opening online shop before i lost my job )

so my question really is, m i being realistic here ? should i go full time education ? part time ? online ?

is there grants or any other payments available ?

What would be the best way of pursuing a career in terms of what level of education to start with etc.

What would you do in my shoes ?

As much help and information would be appreciated. Will be patiently waiting for any :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

carlope2 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Ive been made redundant since this covid happened and face to go back to retail again ( if i can find anything ) but the more im thinking about it the more im thinking of getting some education and just going a different direction alltogether.

So ive 8 years exp in supervisory roles in Retail, im only 28 (since today) :D The pay is not great anymore, it used to be ok 6 years ago, but as the minimum wage went up, supervisor rates did not. You are basically doing 3 times the work of a regular worker and getting pretty much the same, (my rant over) but i dont see my self going back to retail, even thinking about the future, retail is going to be dead in the next 10 to 15 years, so this is not a future proof sector in my opinion. I could easily land a managers job, but then again ive come to conclusion that retail is not for me.

So im thinking Coding, Web Development, web design , Python, Java etc.
    I really love technology and anything to do with it and to me this looks like the future of jobs. Now i know there are **** ton of freelancers etc around this that and the other but i would image myself getting my own business in the future if its todo with web design or selling software or consultations etc. to me this field looks like endless oppurtunities in the long run.

So anyway, thing is im unemployed atm, ive a 3 year old boy and my missus works full time you could say.

Ive mentioned to her that i would like to pursue something different and maybe be earning better wage as we all would like. She wouldnt mind me going back to education, i know it would be tough but this seems like the best time to pursue this.

Im confused with back to education allowance and all the different payments that would kind of help me (us) finacially, rent is crazy, car is needed. i mean if theres something to avail of i would like to know if i would be eligible for it. Dont want to feed of it, but i feel like i would need some help.

Ive leaving cert done, ive also a lvl5 course done on digital marketing ( though about opening online shop before i lost my job )

so my question really is, m i being realistic here ? should i go full time education ? part time ? online ?

is there grants or any other payments available ?

What would be the best way of pursuing a career in terms of what level of education to start with etc.

What would you do in my shoes ?

As much help and information would be appreciated. Will be patiently waiting for any :)

If you've never been to college you'll probably be entitled to fees.

The grant will be subject to your previous earnings along with your partners earning if you're cohabiting.
    Also distance from the college plays a huge role on how much you receive.

For back to ed you have to be on a jobseekers payment for x amount of time and it is again judged on your partners earnings.

Unless you qualify for hap you won't receive help with rent.

Max amount of btea is €203 p/w, not sure how kids effect it should be on the site.

I've gone back to college going into second year this sept.
    I'm 28 too, honestly delighted I did but working part time and getting btea still leaves you tight.
    If i had obligations I wouldn't be too zealous about it, but its doable.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 carlope2

Mjolnir wrote: »
    I've gone back to college going into second year this sept.
    I'm 28 too, honestly delighted I did but working part time and getting btea still leaves you tight.
    If i had obligations I wouldn't be too zealous about it, but its doable.

are you in full time ed ?

would you mind me asking what you are doing ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 carlope2

Mjolnir wrote: »
    If you've never been to college you'll probably be entitled to fees.

The grant will be subject to your previous earnings along with your partners earning if you're cohabiting.
    Also distance from the college plays a huge role on how much you receive.

For back to ed you have to be on a jobseekers payment for x amount of time and it is again judged on your partners earnings.

Unless you qualify for hap you won't receive help with rent.

Max amount of btea is €203 p/w, not sure how kids effect it should be on the site.

i see, so pretty much nothing in terms of support from the goverment.

ive ive been on covid payment since march i heard thats counted towards back to ed allowance, but then again i could do part time work get part jobseekers and prob have more support that way i could be wrong.

thanks anyway :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You are probably best going in and asking in the Social Welfare.

• Advertisement

are you in full time ed ?

would you mind me asking what you are doing ?

Sorry started a new job for summer haven't had a minute to log on.
    I'm doing law so fairly labour intensive in terms of self learning.
    I'm a full time student and work part time nights(pre covid).

i see, so pretty much nothing in terms of support from the goverment.

ive ive been on covid payment since march i heard thats counted towards back to ed allowance, but then again i could do part time work get part jobseekers and prob have more support that way i could be wrong.

thanks anyway :)

Not sure if it does or doesn't to be honest, as far as I remember I think its a continuous year on a jobseekers or other qualifying payment.
    Yea if it was a case of applying sept 2021, being on the x's and o's would be a way to go especially if you could keep the job.
    They do lower the btea if you have an income.

Yea wouldn't be much, there are scholarships and funding programmes but they are very hard got too.

Advertisement