Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Driver launch too high

• 10-07-2020 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭

Back to hitting properly and noticing that my driver is launching incredibly high. Almost embarrassingly so. Hits its apex then falls with no roll.

It's a Ping G400 Max with stock stiff Tour 65 shaft. I guess the dilemma is, are there fitters who focus on fitting shafts to existing heads. Has anyone done this before with better results. I obviously need (and prefer) a boring, penetrating flight with much more roll. I've been fitted before to an XHot Callaway driver which had a Project X extra stiff shaft. I was premature in getting fitted as my delivery was far too inconsistent (misses both ways) plus I didn't like the driver aesthetics either. The Ping is forgiving so just interested in a shaft which can achieve the desired flight considering I've developed a repeating delivery and consistent pattern. Any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭blackbox

valoren wrote: »
    Back to hitting properly and noticing that my driver is launching incredibly high. Almost embarrassingly so. Hits its apex then falls with no roll.

It's a Ping G400 Max with stock stiff Tour 65 shaft. I guess the dilemma is, are there fitters who focus on fitting shafts to existing heads. Has anyone done this before with better results. I obviously need (and prefer) a boring, penetrating flight with much more roll. I've been fitted before to an XHot Callaway driver which had a Project X extra stiff shaft. I was premature in getting fitted as my delivery was far too inconsistent (misses both ways) plus I didn't like the driver aesthetics either. The Ping is forgiving so just interested in a shaft which can achieve the desired flight considering I've developed a repeating delivery and consistent pattern. Any recommendations?

Have you considered a lower loft?

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ShivasIrons

Yes, where are you based?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

Based in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

What is your handicap.....money might be better spent on a lesson initially to see if there is an issue in swing?

gypsy79 wrote: »
    What is your handicap.....money might be better spent on a lesson initially to see if there is an issue in swing?

Don't have a GUI handicap. Plan on joining a local club next year. Happy with ball flight. So at the stage where fitting is needed. Have always hit a high ball.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

I'd put money on loft(dynamic)/angle of attack/strike before shaft.

Easiest to check is strike, if you hit it high on the face it will launch higher. The rest a lesson would ferret out.

A different shaft may give you different feelings to produce better launch conditions but I've not seen any shaft data yet that changes launch angle on its own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

What are you shooting normally

Sounds like you are reasonably inexperienced and it may be your swing not the tools

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ShivasIrons

Based in Cork.

Go to Drive Golf Performance, they'll do it

gypsy79 wrote: »
    What are you shooting normally

Sounds like you are reasonably inexperienced and it may be your swing not the tools

Lowest rounds have been 76 but typically break 85 as an average. Joining a club and getting handicapped I would expect to play off 10 for average sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,991 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

How far is the ball going on s good strike?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,106 ✭✭✭big_drive

Go to Drive Golf Performance, they'll do it

Agreed. Padraig Dooley is top class. I know lads he’s done the thing you want for. He’s a stock of shafts as far as I know. He’ll definitely find something better for you. Plus hitting outdoors with pro v’s so you’ll see the shots flight, etc.

GreeBo wrote: »
    How far is the ball going on s good strike?

Carry of 250. Drops with little roll.

big_drive wrote: »
    Agreed. Padraig Dooley is top class. I know lads he’s done the thing you want for. He’s a stock of shafts as far as I know. He’ll definitely find something better for you. Plus hitting outdoors with pro v’s so you’ll see the shots flight, etc.

Yes, seems like the best option. Thanks for the feedback all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,974 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Yes, seems like the best option. Thanks for the feedback all.
    You may be hitting down on the ball. It sounds counter-intuitive, but that will mean catching the ball higher on the face and sending it into orbit. There are a number of ways of capturing where the impact point is on the face; starting with wetting your finger and rubbing the face with it, using Vaseline is another method and then impact tape. Also have heard that using foot spray (Dr. Scholl's foot spray powder) on the face is a very good method and just wipes off. Also, you didn't say what loft driver head you are using. I'm assuming it's the standard 10.5 degree.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    You may be hitting down on the ball. It sounds counter-intuitive, but that will mean catching the ball higher on the face and sending it into orbit. There are a number of ways of capturing where the impact point is on the face; starting with wetting your finger and rubbing the face with it, using Vaseline is another method and then impact tape. Also have heard that using foot spray (Dr. Scholl's foot spray powder) on the face is a very good method and just wipes off. Also, you didn't say what loft driver head you are using. I'm assuming it's the standard 10.5 degree.

It's 10.5 adjusted to 9.5.

Get yourself a bryson 5.5 degree driver.

It could be the loft of the driver although that is not likely the main reason if you already have it lofted down at 9 degrees. The dynamic loft you are presenting or the amount of spin you are imparting is probably the main reason. The shaft would have an effect too if its too flexible.

You should go to someone with trackman to see what they think before you go changing the driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,991 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Carry of 250. Drops with little roll.

With what swing speed and assuming you have confirmed you are striking the correct part of the face?

250 carry is she average... How far do you hit your 7 iron?

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭swededmonkey

I've just changed my ping g400 for the exact same reason. U fortunately I couldn't just replace the shaft and have gone for the callaway epic with a lower spin shaft and it's working a treat

Advertisement